Jump to content
vmaxbaby

So Is All The Youtube Videos True

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, TomCinMI said:

 

Not all vehicles depreciate horribly, and certainly there are wide ranges of depreciation; just watch the difference in value lost between two hypothetical vehicles, both of essentially the same purchase price and both in Michigan: one of them a hybrid, and one of them a mid-size, 6-cylinder, AWD, American-based manufacturer, substantially union-made SUV with a modicum of towing capability; given the seasons and the predictable amount of snow in the Midwest, the disparity in value retention is close to night-and-day in that example. To basically claim that "depreciation is depreciation is depreciation" is not true; another glaring example would be if this Edge ST model which we're discussing continues to be pummeled with unfair reviews, what's going to happen to its resale will be a good 90-degrees from where it would stand after generally more fitting, deserved reviews.

 

Regarding your other point, the difference in amount and quality of safety tech is currently enormous between vehicles 10 years apart; that's of major importance to many of us as concerns the well-being of our loved ones and other vehicle occupants; if someone can't afford the safety tech, of course that's another matter.

 

I sincerely doubt my 2010 Edge is any less safe than your 2019 Edge, but justify your hugely depreciating asset however you wish. 

I did mention that luxury vehicles take more of a depreciation percentage hit than economy cars, this is obvious. Buying a 2019 Edge ST is certainly a luxury vehicle compared to say a Ford Fiesta. Nobody buying a $50k vehicle has any reason to complain about depreciation, surely you knew going in it would be worth about half what you paid in 3 or so years? or were you that naive?

Edited by erikrichard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Perblue said:

 

He's always going to hate the ST. He's made up his mind and nothing we say will change that. Why he bothers with this section is beyond me, other than to repeat ST is terrible and "Audi better other than styling."

 

2 hours ago, blitz118 said:

I don't know why he keeps posting here as he hates, the vehicle does not have one and has nothing positive to contribute to the ST forum. He's obsessed with hating on it, and needs to take his complaints to Ford.

 

He's bitter because the Audi dealer wont take his highly modified Edge Sport in on trade for an SQ5.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, akirby said:

 

I think you’re overreacting here both to the video and to what the Edge ST “should have been”.   All Ford has ever said is that it’s the first SUV tuned by Ford Performance.  Anything beyond that you made up yourself.

Did you listen to the opening words? followed by videos of exotics...
 

7 hours ago, Perblue said:

 

He's always going to hate the ST. He's made up his mind and nothing we say will change that. Why he bothers with this section is beyond me, other than to repeat ST is terrible and "Audi better other than styling."

thats funny cause I'm pretty sure I said if I could have the Q5 interior and the Edge exterior it would be my perfect SUV...
 

6 hours ago, blitz118 said:

I don't know why he keeps posting here as he hates, the vehicle does not have one and has nothing positive to contribute to the ST forum. He's obsessed with hating on it, and needs to take his complaints to Ford.

because all the performance parts that fit the Sport, also fit the ST, kinda hard to truly hate a vehicle that is pretty much the same as the one you own. I don't hate the ST either, then I'd have to hate my own Sport. I'm just hoping you ST guys get some real performance parts made but they all seem more concerned with getting their headlights to move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

Did you listen to the opening words? followed by videos of exotics...
 

thats funny cause I'm pretty sure I said if I could have the Q5 interior and the Edge exterior it would be my perfect SUV...
 

because all the performance parts that fit the Sport, also fit the ST, kinda hard to truly hate a vehicle that is pretty much the same as the one you own. I don't hate the ST either, then I'd have to hate my own Sport. I'm just hoping you ST guys get some real performance parts made but they all seem more concerned with getting their headlights to move.

Please stop with the bullshit explanations. Everyone one your post in the  ST forum you shit on the ST. Like I said before we get it you don't like the car, and I wish you would stop posting here. Something is wrong with you, and I wish the moderator would do something about it. You should go hang out here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having owned a Focus ST for almost 3 years and coming to the Edge ST, I agree with Nick, it should have and could have been a little more!  I know it is not a car let alone hatchback but there are some things they could have done better as it seems all the did was tweak the suspension a little, add 2 more gears and a little power to the already there Sport.  They should have tweaked the Transmission shifting to make it more ST ish, quicker shifts would be nice and refine that sport mode a bit.  I know it is asking much to drop a DSG in there but they most likely could have made the transmission quicker.  The thing just seems like it has no idea of what you actually want it to do.  It does not shift, for me at least, when I want or expect it to.  There is no reason that when turning a corner and flooring it that it should not down shift to the correct gear and instead only drop one instead of two and start off from 2500 rpm and full boost trying to accelerate.  I should not be in third gear at 15-20 mph I should be in 2nd.  I should not need to put the thing in Sport mode just to take a corner with some gusto and then back to normal so the damn thing will upshift properly and not hold at 5000 rpm for longer than it should before shifting again.  The paddles are just there for people to play with since they are useless for any kind of sporty driving due to the transmission shift times.  Heck traveling on a flat road at 65mph sometimes the trans is in 8th gear as it should be and others it is in 7th and the paddles will not even make it go to 8th, it just flashes at you and does not do your bidding, this happens to me daily and does not matter if the trans is hot or cold.  Don't get me started on the advance track system.  In the Focus ST there were three modes, normal, sport, and track, which was basically normal, relaxed traction control and stability control(allowed wheel spin and fun) and Off(everything off including pseudo limited slip) .  The Edge ST is on, Sport, Trac Off and fully Off.  Sport seems to engage anytrime you want to have a little dun, it allows only a little bit of spin and god forbid you want the rear to step out even an inch or two.  Traction off allows tire slip/spin but no slip and slide.  Full off is where the fun begins.  Sure it allows it but if you are going to name a mode Sport then let it at lease be sporty.  The Focus would allow you to roast the tires if you so felt the need in Sport mode as it seemed to not want to stop it if you were flooring it.  I am not expecting RS modes here but a happy medium would have been nice.  The only mode you could have any 'fun' in the snow is the Full Off mode and I feel Sport should have allowed some fun without allowing maybe donuts in a parking lot, but maybe some slide the rear out a hair fun.  Heck I have seen my dad's Escape kick out more in normal mode. 

 

That is all I got for now.  The ST label on this thing is just that a label.  I hope the Explorer ST is more than just a name thrown on and some more power. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, akirby said:

 

S won’t work when going down a steep mountain - it still upshifts.  I have sport mode on my F150 but I still use manual mode to force and hold a lower gear when going up a steep hill towards my house.

 

Look at it this way - once you have an electronically controlled transmission it’s so easy to add paddles or buttons to allow manual shifting that it’s a no brainer.   It’s better to have precise control over gear selection than to not have that control.

 

I'm not the Off Topic Police on forums, and you've not been off topic; however, I do try to return the discussion to one of my main focuses, which in this case is: Do these (Edge ST) paddle shifters, mated to this particular transmission, represent a significant, truly valid "hit"/rap by reviewers against the vehicle? My position is that they do not. First, I maintain what I previously said regarding paddle shifters while going down the typical open road, i.e., at least when not racing the SUV with a DCT which it doesn't have--basically that paddles are "meh"/blah on the highway/around town ... except as a sheer toy capable of jacking up the price point. Concerning up-mountain/down-mountain, do you contend that the ST's paddle-shifting in "S" isn't up to those situations? Because if you think that, shouldn't there be just about zero Edges sold in Colorado (not just ST's, since all Edges have paddles)?

Edited by TomCinMI
grammar only

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, TomCinMI said:

 

I'm not the Off Topic Police on forums, and you've not been off topic; however, I do try to return the discussion to one of my main focuses, which in this case is: Do these (Edge ST) paddle shifters, mated to this particular transmission, represent a significant, truly valid "hit"/rap by reviewers against the vehicle? My position is that it does not. First, I maintain what I previously said regarding paddle shifters while merely going down the open road, i.e., at least when not racing the SUV with a DCT which it doesn't have--basically that paddles are "meh"/blah on the highway/around town ... except as an unnecessary toy capable of jacking up the price point. Concerning uphill/downhill, do you contend that the ST's paddle-shifting in "S" isn't up to those situations? Because if you think that, shouldn't there be just about zero Edges sold in Colorado (not just ST's, since all Edges have paddles)?

 

I think you’re misunderstanding what I meant.  You said you could use S mode without manually shifting and while that’s true for most situations there are some where you want more direct control of gear selection - such as holding 2nd gear while descending a mountain or forcing an early downshift when preparing to pass someone.   WHEN you want that more direct control the paddles are an easy and ergonomic way of providing that capability - as compared to the buttons on the shifter like my F150.   I’ve owned all 3 versions:  paddles, buttons on the shifter and actually moving the shifter back and forth and the paddles are the easiest to use.

 

So to sum up, being able to directly control gear selection does come in handy in some situations and to me paddles are the most ergonomic way to achieve that functionality.   You don’t need them in everyday driving.   But when you do need them they work well.

 

Now I’m not referring to the actual performance of the transmission itself - that’s a different issue.   That has nothing whatsoever to do with paddles - the transmission itself has issues that Ford is working on.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

Having owned a Focus ST for almost 3 years and coming to the Edge ST, I agree with Nick, it should have and could have been a little more!  I know it is not a car let alone hatchback but there are some things they could have done better as it seems all the did was tweak the suspension a little, add 2 more gears and a little power to the already there Sport.  They should have tweaked the Transmission shifting to make it more ST ish, quicker shifts would be nice and refine that sport mode a bit.  I know it is asking much to drop a DSG in there but they most likely could have made the transmission quicker.  The thing just seems like it has no idea of what you actually want it to do.  It does not shift, for me at least, when I want or expect it to.  There is no reason that when turning a corner and flooring it that it should not down shift to the correct gear and instead only drop one instead of two and start off from 2500 rpm and full boost trying to accelerate.  I should not be in third gear at 15-20 mph I should be in 2nd.  I should not need to put the thing in Sport mode just to take a corner with some gusto and then back to normal so the damn thing will upshift properly and not hold at 5000 rpm for longer than it should before shifting again.  The paddles are just there for people to play with since they are useless for any kind of sporty driving due to the transmission shift times.  Heck traveling on a flat road at 65mph sometimes the trans is in 8th gear as it should be and others it is in 7th and the paddles will not even make it go to 8th, it just flashes at you and does not do your bidding, this happens to me daily and does not matter if the trans is hot or cold.  Don't get me started on the advance track system.  In the Focus ST there were three modes, normal, sport, and track, which was basically normal, relaxed traction control and stability control(allowed wheel spin and fun) and Off(everything off including pseudo limited slip) .  The Edge ST is on, Sport, Trac Off and fully Off.  Sport seems to engage anytrime you want to have a little dun, it allows only a little bit of spin and god forbid you want the rear to step out even an inch or two.  Traction off allows tire slip/spin but no slip and slide.  Full off is where the fun begins.  Sure it allows it but if you are going to name a mode Sport then let it at lease be sporty.  The Focus would allow you to roast the tires if you so felt the need in Sport mode as it seemed to not want to stop it if you were flooring it.  I am not expecting RS modes here but a happy medium would have been nice.  The only mode you could have any 'fun' in the snow is the Full Off mode and I feel Sport should have allowed some fun without allowing maybe donuts in a parking lot, but maybe some slide the rear out a hair fun.  Heck I have seen my dad's Escape kick out more in normal mode. 

 

That is all I got for now.  The ST label on this thing is just that a label.  I hope the Explorer ST is more than just a name thrown on and some more power. 

 

We all know the transmission isn’t up to snuff, including Ford.  It’s brand new and they simply haven’t got all the bugs worked out yet.  It should be performing as well as the 10 speed auto in the F150 and Mustangs but it’s not.    They did not make it that way on purpose.  They just didn’t have enough time to get it right but chose to release it anyway.  Not the first time that’s happened.

 

But it seems that most of the gripes here are based on the Sport and that the ST isn’t a big upgrade over the previous Sport.  What if the Sport never existed?  Instead of being disappointed in the ST why not be surprised at just how good the Sport was even though it wasn’t tuned by Ford Performance?  Maybe there just wasn’t much to improve on over the Sport?

 

I do think Ford cheaper out a bit here because this platform is a dead man walking and will be replaced in 2-3 years.  So they probably didn’t spend as much time tuning as they did on Focus or Fiesta ST.  But at the end of the day this is still a utility vehicle and most buyers don’t care about balls to the wall performance.

 

Explorer ST is a different ballgame.  New RWD platform with the Mustang 10 speed transmission.    I think it’s likely we could see an Explorer RS at some point, maybe with the Aviator GT’s PHEV drivetrain or maybe the GT350 drivetrain.   There is a lot of potential in that platform that just isn’t available in the current Edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

 

... Needless to say I am not happy with the fuel economy of this thing since my brother gets 18mpg in his 2.7TT F-150 4x4.  I like to drive quickly with a lot of 3/4+ throttle use but that is still damn low. 

 

EPA ratings are not based on a heavy foot--regardless of the type of vehicle or how it is billed. I'm glad I have two Fusion Hybrids in my past, which really helped tune both my driving techniques & driving awareness, e.g., an appreciation for feathering the accelerator while gliding uphill on an exit ramp; dropping the vehicle into "S" for engine braking when an exit ramp is downhill; etc., etc.; I find it all kind of a fun game--like discovering food which tastes great ... yet is also good for ya. Driving should be fun, and driving should be safe; the Edge ST, certainly with Co-Pilot360 Assist+, delivers lots of "all that". Also not shockingly, a non-thrashed powertrain resells relatively much better.

Edited by TomCinMI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2019 at 2:46 PM, vmaxbaby said:

Guys,

 

      So every night I go out to youtube to watch some of my friends channels along with doing a search for Ford Edge ST just to see if anything new and exciting is out there.   What I see 97% of the time from Edge ST video's is negative about all types of things.  Most the rants are that they took the ST badge and put it on a SUV that isn't as much fun as a ST Focus and Fiesta.  I understand their logic that the ST, SVT, Cobra, etc. are all badges of performance vehicles and although the ST edge could have been more of a rocket with the right engine and trans setup and that it is mainly a Edge Sport with some changes...I am okay with that... and  I understand this car is not designed to out run a mustang or the like it is to get a family from A to B in comfort and be sporty at the same time which it seems it does very well.   But something I hate hearing and it is causing me to question myself about getting this vehicle is the transmission.   What I see over and over again is how it is slow to shift,  how the 2 extra gears don't really do anything great for the vehicle, paddle shifters are slow to respond etc.  One or 2 videos saying it and I wouldn't be concerned but I know I have watched at least 15 reviews and they all say the same thing so guessing they all can't be wrong.  All the other stuff about price, and hard plastic dash, dated interior I can live with all that because I don't agree with everything they say because all of that is in the eye's of the beholder.  BUT the trans issue brothers me.  I see some guys on here have posted up somethings about a clunk or searching for a gear but is it as bad of a transmission as what they say?  And could all these issues go away with just a software update or is there something failed in the design of the transmission?  I figure if anyone had input on this would be guys that own the car right now instead of the youtubers that get a car for their 20 minute car review or to boost their channel. 

In response to your trans concern.  It does seem that the trans should shift better and I expected it to.  I did not expect it to work like a double clutch setup, but better.  From what I understand, this is a Ford designed and built, I believe they very well may come out with updates for the trans over time.  With all of that being stated, I have the LMS tune, which in my opinion, has improved the shifting response to the point I am good with it.  It now shifts as I would expect a mid size sport type SUV to shift.  

 

Ford(I believe will) and LMS(has) taken small steps to improve the trans and keep it useable over the long run.  All of my statements are just my opinion and others may have a different take on things.

 

 I am happy with my Edge ST, now to find some good electronic muffler bypass valves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:


95% of all options on the ST are available on the Titanium, the Sport was the same way. ST was supposed to be the evolution of the Edge platform, instead it just cloned it's past to target buyers into getting the same vehicle with a lil' sprinkle of new tech that hasn't even proved to be better or faster yet.

100% false marketing here, the Mustang GT can't even match most the cars in this video, so I would, as a consumer expect the Edge ST to be blowing the doors off a GT on a road track or 1/4 mile after watching this. 
 

 

 

Good Lord, "100% false marketing"--in 34 seconds... Huh? Because the vehicle zoomed by the stationary camera ... and there is more of an engine note than a hybrid running on electric? And you continue to exaggerate similarity between the Edge Sport and Edge ST. Virtually all of the options which are in common between Titanium and Sport, and between Titanium and ST, have zilch to do with performance, so your point there is moot. I'm not even going to rattle off the several ST brand-specific aspects/"DNA" of Edge ST, beyond what Edge Sport features--because something tells me you know all of that.

Edited by TomCinMI
single character typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, erikrichard said:

 

I sincerely doubt my 2010 Edge is any less safe than your 2019 Edge, but justify your hugely depreciating asset however you wish. 

I did mention that luxury vehicles take more of a depreciation percentage hit than economy cars, this is obvious. Buying a 2019 Edge ST is certainly a luxury vehicle compared to say a Ford Fiesta. Nobody buying a $50k vehicle has any reason to complain about depreciation, surely you knew going in it would be worth about half what you paid in 3 or so years? or were you that naive?

 

Wow, that's a snarky, even nasty comment. And as far as your "I sincerely doubt my 2010 Edge is any less safe than your 2019 Edge", if I were borderline snarky I'd reply "LOL", but I'll just state the obvious: You're objectively wrong on that. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, maybe you haven't studied up. The better than average depreciation on the 2019 Edge ST (for sure in Michigan), even with unfair hits against it, is well worth the value in exceptional safety--yes, exceptional.

Edited by TomCinMI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TomCinMI said:

 

Wow, that's a snarky, even nasty comment. And as far as your "I sincerely doubt my 2010 Edge is any less safe than your 2019 Edge", if I were borderline snarky I'd reply "LOL", but I'll just state the obvious: You're objectively wrong on that. The better than average depreciation on the 2019 Edge ST (for sure in Michigan), even with unfair hits against it, is well worth the value in safety

IIHS also says otherwise. The gen 2 is a superior vehicle in every aspect. I loved my 2011 but my ST is a much better vehicle. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TomCinMI said:

 

EPA ratings are not based on a heavy foot--regardless of the type of vehicle or how it is billed. I'm glad I have two Fusion Hybrids in my past, which really helped tune both my driving techniques & driving awareness, e.g., an appreciation for feathering the accelerator while gliding uphill on an exit ramp; dropping the vehicle into "S" for engine braking when an exit ramp is downhill; etc., etc.; I find it all kind of a fun game--like discovering food which tastes great ... yet is also good for ya. Driving should be fun, and driving should be safe; the Edge ST, certainly with Co-Pilot360 Assist+, delivers lots of "all that". Also not shockingly, a non-thrashed powertrain resells relatively much better.

 

Problem is no matter how I drive, nice and grandma like or like normal I have got nothing better than 15mpg on my mostly 55-65 mph drives.  Normally I get less than 14 but this week I got 15 for once.  4mpg less than the city rating his ridiculous especially when the F-150 with the same motor gets 18, my brother has one.  I drive this less hard than my Focus and I ran that as much as possible trying to hit full boost.  Especially after it was tuned.  Still managed to get 23mpg, so 1 less than the city rating.  This thing is 4-5 less and gets worse mileage than my 1999 Jeep GC v-8 I had years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

 

Problem is no matter how I drive, nice and grandma like or like normal I have got nothing better than 15mpg on my mostly 55-65 mph drives.  Normally I get less than 14 but this week I got 15 for once.  4mpg less than the city rating his ridiculous especially when the F-150 with the same motor gets 18, my brother has one.  I drive this less hard than my Focus and I ran that as much as possible trying to hit full boost.  Especially after it was tuned.  Still managed to get 23mpg, so 1 less than the city rating.  This thing is 4-5 less and gets worse mileage than my 1999 Jeep GC v-8 I had years ago. 

You really need to contact your dealer with this. It is not normal as you can see the majority are seeing claimed fuel economy. I just made it to cape cod and back 300miles round trip and still have 1/4 tank of gas. Cruise was set to 80 and car was packed with 4 people, luggage and a dog in the back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, blitz118 said:

Please stop with the bullshit explanations. Everyone one your post in the  ST forum you shit on the ST. Like I said before we get it you don't like the car, and I wish you would stop posting here. Something is wrong with you, and I wish the moderator would do something about it. You should go hang out here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mkii-discussion-218/.   

you just linked one of the ugliest SUVs on the market, you actually like that thing? i've never said I didn't like a car, specially one that I almost traded my Sport in for like 2 weeks ago. I don't think that's gonna happen. I don't think having a disagreeing opinion is grounds for that, last I checked this wasn't an "everybody gets a trophy league"

 

11 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

Having owned a Focus ST for almost 3 years and coming to the Edge ST, I agree with Nick, it should have and could have been a little more!  I know it is not a car let alone hatchback but there are some things they could have done better as it seems all the did was tweak the suspension a little, add 2 more gears and a little power to the already there Sport.  They should have tweaked the Transmission shifting to make it more ST ish, quicker shifts would be nice and refine that sport mode a bit.  I know it is asking much to drop a DSG in there but they most likely could have made the transmission quicker.  The thing just seems like it has no idea of what you actually want it to do.  It does not shift, for me at least, when I want or expect it to.  There is no reason that when turning a corner and flooring it that it should not down shift to the correct gear and instead only drop one instead of two and start off from 2500 rpm and full boost trying to accelerate.  I should not be in third gear at 15-20 mph I should be in 2nd.  I should not need to put the thing in Sport mode just to take a corner with some gusto and then back to normal so the damn thing will upshift properly and not hold at 5000 rpm for longer than it should before shifting again.  The paddles are just there for people to play with since they are useless for any kind of sporty driving due to the transmission shift times.  Heck traveling on a flat road at 65mph sometimes the trans is in 8th gear as it should be and others it is in 7th and the paddles will not even make it go to 8th, it just flashes at you and does not do your bidding, this happens to me daily and does not matter if the trans is hot or cold.  Don't get me started on the advance track system.  In the Focus ST there were three modes, normal, sport, and track, which was basically normal, relaxed traction control and stability control(allowed wheel spin and fun) and Off(everything off including pseudo limited slip) .  The Edge ST is on, Sport, Trac Off and fully Off.  Sport seems to engage anytrime you want to have a little dun, it allows only a little bit of spin and god forbid you want the rear to step out even an inch or two.  Traction off allows tire slip/spin but no slip and slide.  Full off is where the fun begins.  Sure it allows it but if you are going to name a mode Sport then let it at lease be sporty.  The Focus would allow you to roast the tires if you so felt the need in Sport mode as it seemed to not want to stop it if you were flooring it.  I am not expecting RS modes here but a happy medium would have been nice.  The only mode you could have any 'fun' in the snow is the Full Off mode and I feel Sport should have allowed some fun without allowing maybe donuts in a parking lot, but maybe some slide the rear out a hair fun.  Heck I have seen my dad's Escape kick out more in normal mode. 

 

That is all I got for now.  The ST label on this thing is just that a label.  I hope the Explorer ST is more than just a name thrown on and some more power. 

thanks for being honest man, they might dislike you around these parts for honesty.

 

7 hours ago, TomCinMI said:

 

Good Lord, "100% false marketing"--in 34 seconds... Huh? Because the vehicle zoomed by the stationary camera ... and there is more of an engine note than a hybrid running on electric? And you continue to exaggerate similarity between the Edge Sport and Edge ST. Virtually all of the options which are in common between Titanium and Sport, and between Titanium and ST, have zilch to do with performance, so your point there is moot. I'm not even going to rattle off the several ST brand-specific aspects/"DNA" of Edge ST, beyond what Edge Sport features--because something tells me you know all of that.

So, list me all the ST only parts besides the motor and suspension and body panels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

you just linked one of the ugliest SUVs on the market, you actually like that thing? i've never said I didn't like a car, specially one that I almost traded my Sport in for like 2 weeks ago. I don't think that's gonna happen. I don't think having a disagreeing opinion is grounds for that, last I checked this wasn't an "everybody gets a trophy league"

 

thanks for being honest man, they might dislike you around these parts for honesty.

 

So, list me all the ST only parts besides the motor and suspension and body panels.

You just listed everything that could possibly make it not a sport. Engine, transmission, suspension. What else matters in this regard? Things like the awesome B&O sound system and co-pilot assist, wireless charging pad, full led lights and sport seats don’t really matter much. 

Edited by Fingernip
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

You just listed everything that could possibly make it not a sport. Engine, transmission, suspension. What else matters in this regard? Things like the awesome B&O sound system and co-pilot assist, wireless charging pad, full led lights and sport seats don’t really matter much. 


we are referring to ST and trim under it though, since I'm supposedly wrong that 95% of the ST options can be had with a lower trim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nick Halstead said:


we are referring to ST and trim under it though, since I'm supposedly wrong that 95% of the ST options can be had with a lower trim.

 

What exactly is your point? You aren't necessarily wrong but that could be said about any st model. Most of the technology options can be on lower trims. The st on any line differentiates itself from other trims with different suspension, engine, possibly transmission, extra cooling for oil, trans, etc., some styling and interior tweaks. It's a mass produced vehicle that will always be the case without a large price premium. 

 

Also having a disagreeing opinion is fine but you seemingly have the need to post the same thing in every post ST related that it starts to sound like an annoying stuck record. Yes you have the same motor so can add some to an ST section, but being a stuck record is not contributing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t consider the engine, transmission, suspension and some body parts to be only 5% different.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:


we are referring to ST and trim under it though, since I'm supposedly wrong that 95% of the ST options can be had with a lower trim.

The only the charging pad and co-pilot assist can be removed with a lower package. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 12:06 AM, Nick Halstead said:

"Did you listen to the opening words? followed by videos of exotics..."

 

The words are: "Do you want a performance car which actually fits your life?" Not "The Ford Edge ST is the second coming of Jesus in vehicle form!" The two other cars in the ad--before, and while, those words were spoken, not after--were there to make the point of tiny, not of proverbial greased lightning. As if any of that should need to be pointed out.
 

"thats funny cause I'm pretty sure I said if I could have the Q5 interior and the Edge exterior it would be my perfect SUV..."

 

So you like the appearance but come down hard on much else. Some would say that you like its looks but hate its guts.
 

"because all the performance parts that fit the Sport, also fit the ST, kinda hard to truly hate a vehicle that is pretty much the same as the one you own. I don't hate the ST either, then I'd have to hate my own Sport. I'm just hoping you ST guys get some real performance parts made but they all seem more concerned with getting their headlights to move."

 

More horsepower than the Sport; more torque than the Sport; more gears (which need to be tweaked, as they will be) than the Sport; more of a sport-tuned suspension & steering feel than the Sport; there are lots of performance components on the ST which are not on the Sport, and of course anyone can modify, well or poorly, in or out of warranty.

 

Edited by TomCinMI
punctuation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 8:14 AM, jamie1073 said:

Having owned a Focus ST for almost 3 years and coming to the Edge ST, I agree with Nick, it should have and could have been a little more!  I know it is not a car let alone hatchback but there are some things they could have done better as it seems all the did was tweak the suspension a little, add 2 more gears and a little power to the already there Sport.  They should have tweaked the Transmission shifting to make it more ST ish, quicker shifts would be nice and refine that sport mode a bit.  I know it is asking much to drop a DSG in there but they most likely could have made the transmission quicker.  The thing just seems like it has no idea of what you actually want it to do.  It does not shift, for me at least, when I want or expect it to.  There is no reason that when turning a corner and flooring it that it should not down shift to the correct gear and instead only drop one instead of two and start off from 2500 rpm and full boost trying to accelerate.  I should not be in third gear at 15-20 mph I should be in 2nd.  I should not need to put the thing in Sport mode just to take a corner with some gusto and then back to normal so the damn thing will upshift properly and not hold at 5000 rpm for longer than it should before shifting again.  The paddles are just there for people to play with since they are useless for any kind of sporty driving due to the transmission shift times.  Heck traveling on a flat road at 65mph sometimes the trans is in 8th gear as it should be and others it is in 7th and the paddles will not even make it go to 8th, it just flashes at you and does not do your bidding, this happens to me daily and does not matter if the trans is hot or cold.  Don't get me started on the advance track system.  In the Focus ST there were three modes, normal, sport, and track, which was basically normal, relaxed traction control and stability control(allowed wheel spin and fun) and Off(everything off including pseudo limited slip) .  The Edge ST is on, Sport, Trac Off and fully Off.  Sport seems to engage anytrime you want to have a little dun, it allows only a little bit of spin and god forbid you want the rear to step out even an inch or two.  Traction off allows tire slip/spin but no slip and slide.  Full off is where the fun begins.  Sure it allows it but if you are going to name a mode Sport then let it at lease be sporty.  The Focus would allow you to roast the tires if you so felt the need in Sport mode as it seemed to not want to stop it if you were flooring it.  I am not expecting RS modes here but a happy medium would have been nice.  The only mode you could have any 'fun' in the snow is the Full Off mode and I feel Sport should have allowed some fun without allowing maybe donuts in a parking lot, but maybe some slide the rear out a hair fun.  Heck I have seen my dad's Escape kick out more in normal mode. 

 

That is all I got for now.  The ST label on this thing is just that a label.  I hope the Explorer ST is more than just a name thrown on and some more power. 

 

I appreciate what seems to be your honest, thoughtful take on the trans. My position from the beginning has been that, of course, there's room for improvement--and that those of us with an interest in not seeing the Edge ST's rep badly tarnished and its value-retention tanked (#1) really should communicate concerns to Ford, inc. emphasizing to them the impact which negative reviews are having, as well as (#2) speak up about the numerous strengths of the vehicle. At the same time, I'll never understand the "need" to destroy good tires.

Edited by TomCinMI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not getting involved in the debate (dont worry Akirby), I still love my Sport and have no plans on trading. Savagegeese did a really good review on the Edge and explains what the engineers did to get the 8 speed and why it is not working. It seems like Ford marketing department said, we need an 8 speed ASAP and Ford threw one together over the weekend. 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qup6s2caqRQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 10:59 AM, akirby said:

 

I think you’re misunderstanding what I meant.  You said you could use S mode without manually shifting and while that’s true for most situations there are some where you want more direct control of gear selection - such as holding 2nd gear while descending a mountain or forcing an early downshift when preparing to pass someone.   WHEN you want that more direct control the paddles are an easy and ergonomic way of providing that capability - as compared to the buttons on the shifter like my F150.   I’ve owned all 3 versions:  paddles, buttons on the shifter and actually moving the shifter back and forth and the paddles are the easiest to use.

 

So to sum up, being able to directly control gear selection does come in handy in some situations and to me paddles are the most ergonomic way to achieve that functionality.   You don’t need them in everyday driving.   But when you do need them they work well. 

 

No, I didn't misunderstand. And you didn't get to my questions:  "Concerning uphill/downhill, do you contend that the ST's paddle-shifting in "S" isn't up to those situations? Because if you think that, shouldn't there be just about zero Edges sold in Colorado (not just ST's, since all Edges have paddles)?"

Edited by TomCinMI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×