Poor trans shifting theory investigation

Fingernip

Poor Trans shifting theory  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Octane used

• 87 Octane (Regular)
    • 88-90 Octane (Mid grade)
    • 91-94 Octane (High test)

Definitely my last post to try and help others with this problem - sold our 2019 Edge last month which had ~12000 miles on it. And never, ever had any shift problems after flushing the adaptive cache once. This is a s/w problem and a simple s/w fix. Did this once last April (or March?) and the tranny always acted normal afterwards. It was real bad before the flush same as what most are reporting - in fact I was really unhappy and second guessing the purchase. But using Forscan and flushing/resetting the cache just one time permanently fixed the problem. The poor shifting issue never came back.

So I continue to suggest this as one proven fix for the problem. Yep, some may have real tranny issues, valve problems, faulty torque converters, etc., but do you really think a lot of h/w is going to fail especially since these are not new components? IMO I think it's the poorly skilled dealership mech's guessing at causes when someone describes the problem.

Good luck and enjoy your Edge's / ST's!

BTW the shift-into-reverse jump/jolt was terrible and never went away. If anything it seemed to get worse no matter what i did to try and fix it. But don't care now! :)

Edited by Kubicide
  • Thanks 1

On March 6, 2020 at 11:02 PM, STEdGeST said:

Well, this new TSB re-flash didn't last too long. Back to the dealership with the same transmission issue as in the beginning. Although I haven't driven very much, as of now with only 3100 miles since last July. Not to the issues, has lurching forward at low speeds, flare from 3rd to 4th (full disengage until pedal lift) only when cold, then catches next gear. The hesitation has resurfaced from a stop, like you have breaks applied (sluggish) and with traction control off. Service tech called me today, they not sure what it could be. Anyone here with an fix if you have experienced this issue. I believe it's the TC. Chime in. Thanks

Update.....got a call from dealership today.  They pulled pan and there was debris in pan. The dealership reach out to Ford and as of now, they're saying 99.9% a new transmission. With 3000 miles a new transmission is needed and most likely caused by a bad TC from what my tech told me. I have an early build 2/19, my understanding there were bad TCs early on. So be aware if you had a TC replaced, there is a good possibility you may have damaged clutches and hope they pulled trans pan to inspect if indeed you had one replaced. Just an heads up folks. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

no problem, someone else shared it on FB and I wanted to make sure it was shared here too. I got it applied yesterday felt good after getting it back but it usually does when it's warm. I took it out this morning and it felt solid. I get a hard shift/buck at the same points during my morning drive that it's basically predictable, it didn't happen this time. I also tried to reproduce it like I have in the past and it didn't happen. Shifting feels better between 3/4. I'm cautiously optimistic since it's a small sample size but this could be it.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We've had the latest update since March and so far no clunks.  Nice job Ford. 

If Ford would only fix the noisy moonroof/shade instead of saying could not duplicate, we'd be good.  My wife is taking someone from their dealer around to hear the noise next time.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a new 2019 Edge ST on 8/31/19.  I requested that TSB 19-2313 be flashed on 10/25/19 to address,   1) harsh upshifts and downshifts and 2) harsh engagements when shifting from PARK to REVERSE, PARK to DRIVE and/or REVERSE to DRIVE .  TSB 19-2313 was also suppose to address 3) upshift flare on the 4th to 5th gear upshift (since I don’t know what it is, I can’t say if I experienced It).  Although not mentioned in the TSB,  I hoped it would correct the funkiness in the 3rd to 4th gear upshifting. (skipping  3rd gear?? )

Flashing TSB TSB19-2313 resulted in significant improvement to items 1) and 2).   However, I still experienced an occasional harsh engagement. The funkiness of   the 3rd to 4th upshifting  was not corrected.

TSB 20-2190 was rolled out on 6/2/2020.  It was suppose to address the same Items 1)and 2) from TSB 19-2313 mentioned above.   I had TSB 20-2190 flashed on 7/15/2020.   I was hoping as a minimum it would eliminate the occasional harsh engagement.

After driving my Edge ST for a week,  I can report that my Edge ST feels like a different car.  All of my transmission concerns have been corrected by TSB 20-2190.  Please note however,  that  I am 71 years old and not an overly aggressive driver.  As such what satisfies me might not satisfy you.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, ktp1598 said:

Ours is still good. No complaints. We have the June update.

I have made the following request, or a similar request, many times in the past few months, but have never received a response.   I am hoping that  you can respond to my request.  

I own a 2019 Edge ST that I purchased new in September of 2019.  I had the June transmission software update (TSB)  Flashed when it was first announced.  I noticed significant improvement in the normal and S automatic modes.  However, I still feel that an additional software update is required,  especially in the S mode when manually shifting using the paddles.   In the S mode, when shifting manually ( paddles) under moderate acceleration, I feel that my ST does not shift properly from 2nd to 3rd to 4th.  It almost seems like the transmission holds 3rd and then flares and sometimes bucks before going into 4th.

Could you (and possibly other ST owners from the forum) please try manually shifting (paddles) under moderate acceleration while in the S mode and report how your transmission  behaves.  I would like to know if my ST is like all the other STs, or if it has a transmission problem. Perhaps the June update was not flashed correctly?  Thank you.

On 10/14/2020 at 8:46 AM, BillE said:

I have made the following request, or a similar request, many times in the past few months, but have never received a response.   I am hoping that  you can respond to my request.  

I own a 2019 Edge ST that I purchased new in September of 2019.  I had the June transmission software update (TSB)  Flashed when it was first announced.  I noticed significant improvement in the normal and S automatic modes.  However, I still feel that an additional software update is required,  especially in the S mode when manually shifting using the paddles.   In the S mode, when shifting manually ( paddles) under moderate acceleration, I feel that my ST does not shift properly from 2nd to 3rd to 4th.  It almost seems like the transmission holds 3rd and then flares and sometimes bucks before going into 4th.

Could you (and possibly other ST owners from the forum) please try manually shifting (paddles) under moderate acceleration while in the S mode and report how your transmission  behaves.  I would like to know if my ST is like all the other STs, or if it has a transmission problem. Perhaps the June update was not flashed correctly?  Thank you.

Do you notice the flare when going from 2nd to 3rd, and then a delay when shifting from 3rd to 4th? That's one of the things I have always hated about this transmission in the car. Ford messed up the gearing and gears 2 & 3 are almost identical, at redline there is maybe a 300RPM difference which causes all sorts of shifting problems in this thing. Because of this and other issues I had my transmissions replaced in Jan of this year (2020) and the new transmission is actually worse. I gave up going to the dealer for the transmission after it was replaced and just figured I was stuck with it. Well more and more has continued to go wrong with this Edge ST and I'm in the process of Ford re-purchasing the vehicle. It's been approved and I am just waiting on how much I will be getting. I've test drove the Explorer ST and the transmission is FAR better (it works) and might end up in  one if Ford doesn't try to screw me on the repurchase.

Edited by boosted_st

Thanks for your response. I will try to pay closer attention to determine exactly what my transmission is doing.  Weird thing,  the strange behavior is not noticeable in the automatic mode with normal or Sport ratio..  I have asked forum members who have been to the ST Experience if the instructors discussed or demonstrated using the manual S mode.  One person said there wasn't enough time.  I have also asked several members  who were scheduled for the experience to specifically ask their instructor to demonstrate manually shifting in the S-mode.  No responses.   Other ST owners must not be interested and just don't care.

1 minute ago, BillE said:

Thanks for your response. I will try to pay closer attention to determine exactly what my transmission is doing.  Weird thing,  the strange behavior is not noticeable in the automatic mode with normal or Sport ratio..  I have asked forum members who have been to the ST Experience if the instructors discussed or demonstrated using the manual S mode.  One person said there wasn't enough time.  I have also asked several members  who were scheduled for the experience to specifically ask their instructor to demonstrate manually shifting in the S-mode.  No responses.   Other ST owners must not be interested and just don't care.

You're welcome, I agree it's odd that more people haven't noticed this. However in the newest software update Ford has added LOTS of torque management to the shifts which has made the 2-3-4 shifting less noticeable (but I can still tell). I've wondered the exact same thing about the ST experience (I didn't get around to going) and if they used the vehicle in manual mode or not. I had the Explorer ST as an extended test drive over a weekend and put the transmissions through it's paces in every mode there is, the 10 speed is WAY better, Ford should have just used that in the Edge as well.

I have a few posts in this thread, and I think I even linked to a video that I did showing what I saw, you might be interested in checking that out.

16 minutes ago, BillE said:

I have also asked several members  who were scheduled for the experience to specifically ask their instructor to demonstrate manually shifting in the S-mode.  No responses.   Other ST owners must not be interested and just don't care.

Or you're asking the wrong forum.  Check out https://edgestnation.com

And/or on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1712293469050363/

15 hours ago, boosted_st said:

You're welcome, I agree it's odd that more people haven't noticed this. However in the newest software update Ford has added LOTS of torque management to the shifts which has made the 2-3-4 shifting less noticeable (but I can still tell). I've wondered the exact same thing about the ST experience (I didn't get around to going) and if they used the vehicle in manual mode or not. I had the Explorer ST as an extended test drive over a weekend and put the transmissions through it's paces in every mode there is, the 10 speed is WAY better, Ford should have just used that in the Edge as well.

I have a few posts in this thread, and I think I even linked to a video that I did showing what I saw, you might be interested in checking that out.

I don't think a longitudinal mounted V6 would fit in the CD4 platform.. Also the 10 speed wouldn't fit under the car with a transfer case and front differential. I would love to see someone mod one but it would probably be easier to make an explorer simply look like an edge. 

1 hour ago, Fingernip said:

I don't think a longitudinal mounted V6 would fit in the CD4 platform.. Also the 10 speed wouldn't fit under the car with a transfer case and front differential. I would love to see someone mod one but it would probably be easier to make an explorer simply look like an edge

Then you would not think a cop was behind or coming towards you on the highway.

Edited by Snoking