Edge Low Speed Surge/Buck - Transmission

Toby99

18 minutes ago, Daniel Fonseca said:

Does anyone know if there is a class action lawsuit open for this problem? Ford is getting away with murder here, I see many imported brands having to bite the bullet when it comes to recall and for years Ford is doing nothing about it, they know of the problem!

The F150 5.0 has one. My dad was without his truck for 4 months due to his engine needing to be replaced at 60K due to burning oil. And Ford still hasn’t fixed the problem since 2018. Don’t think they will for the Edge. 

Edited by IcyFridge

1 hour ago, IcyFridge said:

Very frustrating. I wonder if you’ve got a Cleveland 2.0 with coolant intrusion. 

Geez...Hadn't heard of that.  They list "2015-2018 Ford Edge" as the models with that issue.  Which makes sense as they changed the transmission in 2019.  If memory serves, I have an early build.  Still waiting for the call....

On 5/20/2022 at 11:04 AM, IcyFridge said:

this was at a steady speed. And they said they plugged in their computer and it failed the torque converter. I wish they would just diagnose the old fashioned way. 

Granted the tach did not bounce like that in the beginning but just kind of surged at steady speeds around 40mph on a flat road. I guess it got worse to the point where the torque converter ultimately failed. 

Another update : EGR valve replaced, and the engine is still misfiring. I am going to ask the dealer to assist with a trade for another non-ford product.

Solved my problem! Sold my 2019 Edge Titanium back to the dealer and purchased a new 2022 Escape Titanium. I got $27,000 for the Edge. Could I have got more by selling it myself? Probably, but I sidestepped the challenge of selling a vehicle with known problems to an individual buyer, and that person coming back to me in a rage like the one I've been in for the past couple of years. Anyway, my long nightmare is over and I feel sweet relief.

22 hours ago, 52K said:

Solved my problem! Sold my 2019 Edge Titanium back to the dealer and purchased a new 2022 Escape Titanium. I got $27,000 for the Edge. Could I have got more by selling it myself? Probably, but I sidestepped the challenge of selling a vehicle with known problems to an individual buyer, and that person coming back to me in a rage like the one I've been in for the past couple of years. Anyway, my long nightmare is over and I feel sweet relief.

Aren't you concerned about the 2022 Escape having the same motor and transmission, and possibly the same issues? I am driving a 1.5T 2022 Escape loaner now, and I hate it so much.

52 minutes ago, IcyFridge said:

Aren't you concerned about the 2022 Escape having the same motor and transmission, and possibly the same issues? I am driving a 1.5T 2022 Escape loaner now, and I hate it so much.

No, I figure this problem affects a minority of owners, and the odds are in my favor. But I'm crossing my fingers.

17 minutes ago, 52K said:

No, I figure this problem affects a minority of owners, and the odds are in my favor. But I'm crossing my fingers. 

Yeah. If the VCT solenoids don't fix the issue, I am going to possibly look into a Maverick 2.0 AWD. My wheels from the Edge should fit it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Feds investigating Honda Pilot SUV engine failures

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/feds-investigating-honda-pilot-suv-engine-failures

Why can't the Feds investigate Ford for long years of transmission failures and non-functional TSBs just to trick the consumer into that they are doing something??? FORD is getting away with murder here, and it looks like they have been enabled to do so by a from high above. If anyone here knows about a Class Action suit, let me know, I have a 2020 Ford Edge Platinum out on the driveway that drives like a buggy!

Edited by 1004ron

Got my Edge back from the dealer and IT IS STILL JERKING. They told me the transmission needs to relearn. I’m like nope. It’s not a problem with shifting, it’s jerking at a constant speed. 

have new EGR, new torque converter, new VCT solenoids, new DPFE, and what’s next? I was so excited to get back in the Edge after almost 2 months and…. Still jerking. 

this is not an issue with transmission shifting, but more like a spark plug is forgetting to fire at constant speed on a flat road. 

And Ford denied my buyback because I have over 18k. Figures… might just trade it in for a cheap Subaru Impreza or something so I can have a reliable ride for work and room for the kids in the back. Can’t afford a big vehicle. 

Edited by IcyFridge

• 2 weeks later...

I was feeling a slight surge/buck over the winter and then in February, it was full on, surging in every gear, any temp, all the time.  Made me really hate the Edge.

Got it into the dealer in April for the TSB and they weren't satisfied with it after the TSB reset.  I believe the service writer said they then replaced the valve body. 

Surging is completely gone, drives like it should now. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chipdog4 said:

I was feeling a slight surge/buck over the winter and then in February, it was full on, surging in every gear, any temp, all the time.  Made me really hate the Edge.

Got it into the dealer in April for the TSB and they weren't satisfied with it after the TSB reset.  I believe the service writer said they then replaced the valve body. 

Surging is completely gone, drives like it should now. 

Already had my EGR valve replaced. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The dealer put some friction modifier in my transmission fluid and the problem is 95% gone for the past few days now. It only jerks ever so slightly when the engine is not warmed up. I'm happy right now, but let's see how long it lasts. My MPG is back to an average of 22.8 mixed on 87 gas (Livernois 87 tune).

32 minutes ago, Breez said:

Unplugged my EGR valve. Surge/hitching gone. Maybe that will fix it, will let you all know. BTW should be covered under power train warranty. 

I wouldn't leave it unplugged when taking it in for service. Also - unplugging it might not play well with your MAP sensor or other things long term.

Oh, no I won't leave it unplugged. BTW, I am getting 29.6 mpg, every one else about the same? 2019 with 2.0L Also, will replace the EGR, SENSOR AND TUBES that the sensor hooks up to.

Edited by Breez
Added info

On 7/7/2022 at 11:17 AM, Breez said:

Unplugged my EGR valve. Surge/hitching gone. Maybe that will fix it, will let you all know. BTW should be covered under power train warranty. 

Breez,  Can you explain the connection between the EGR valve and the bucking/surging issue we are having?    

Is this actually an engine problem and not transmission? 

Customer support is worthless and I (we) have no direct access to Ford technicial engineering.  Just odd to me that no one who has read or posted here are Ford repair techs or a Ford employee.  Whether Ford acknowledges it or not there is something wrong with our vehicles.  I've lost count on how many TSB's I've had done and resetting the PCM.  It's not fixing the problem.  I'm also frustrated with dealership service departments that state there are no codes or could not duplicate the problem.

• Like 1

It is very frustrating,  you would think that everything, driveability related, would set a code. Not so. Someone told me that a few issues were found with moisture in the egr valve assy. The symptoms are pretty much the same as we are experiencing. But, other issues can mimic these. I unplugged my egr valve and my problem disappeared. Dealer replace EGR parts*******so far, so good.

20220713_120656.jpg

Edited by Breez
Updated

I’ve got the Titanium Elite. I’ve never really got more than 26 mpg. In the morning I am getting the shudder again. Once warmed up it seems fine. I’ve had to turn off auto stop because the roughness of engine restarts. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, anyone have an engine shudder after filling up? Feels like the engine is about to stop.  It does it in the first couple minutes of restarting. 

Edited by ajhart1000

I  have my new edge ST Line in shop now with this issue maybe i need to go talk to tech they have had it a week now trying to fix it ?  Has Any One gotten a firm fix on this yet ? I told ford today fixed or not I'm picking it up>

Edited by Cabrown451

On 7/13/2022 at 10:16 PM, ajhart1000 said:

I’ve got the Titanium Elite. I’ve never really got more than 26 mpg. In the morning I am getting the shudder again. Once warmed up it seems fine. I’ve had to turn off auto stop because the roughness of engine restarts. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, anyone have an engine shudder after filling up? Feels like the engine is about to stop.  It does it in the first couple minutes of restarting. 

Mine does it all the time ,not just after a fill-up, it is at ford now a week trying to fig out ..bet they don't.