Edge Low Speed Surge/Buck - Transmission

Toby99

On 6/20/2019 at 1:02 PM, Nolan said:

Looks like this problem isn't on just 2019 models.  I go to another Edge forum and this is what a gal says about her 2017 Titanium AWD 2.0   Has 45,000 miles on it.              

"An update - engine light came on again and the “ bucking”more severe. Took the car to dealer as I felt there was something more going on. Codes at the dealer were again 302, 304, and now 312 (intermittent misfiring) appeared. They were going to replace coils and plugs again but discovered coolant was low. Further testing overnight found a leak by a valve. They will pull the head to see if it’s just the gasket or if there is a crack. Unfortunately, it will be a couple of weeks depending on the scope of repair. My car is the third vehicle with the same engine and problem in recent weeks that my small town dealer has worked on."

If she posts anything more on her car, I will be sure to put it on here. 

The 2017 Edge's have a different transmission and a different 2.0L engine tho.  That sounds more like a separate issue than the 8-speed trans issue here, in my opinion.

Edited by DaMiFo

On 6/20/2019 at 1:02 PM, Nolan said:

Looks like this problem isn't on just 2019 models.  I go to another Edge forum and this is what a gal says about her 2017 Titanium AWD 2.0   Has 45,000 miles on it.              

"An update - engine light came on again and the “ bucking”more severe. Took the car to dealer as I felt there was something more going on. Codes at the dealer were again 302, 304, and now 312 (intermittent misfiring) appeared. They were going to replace coils and plugs again but discovered coolant was low. Further testing overnight found a leak by a valve. They will pull the head to see if it’s just the gasket or if there is a crack. Unfortunately, it will be a couple of weeks depending on the scope of repair. My car is the third vehicle with the same engine and problem in recent weeks that my small town dealer has worked on."

If she posts anything more on her car, I will be sure to put it on here. 

Yours sounds more like an actual engine issue and not a trans issue like the new 2019 8 speed trans seem to be having. 

Made contact with my third dealership service department.  Spoke to the service manager.  He actually came here and read all the posts on this thread.  Encouraging.  Next step is to schedule a service visit.  Might be a delay but will post results.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After a week in the service department, here's what was written on the service ticket.

"Normal operation at this time.  Set up TAC case with Ford.  Waiting on response from Ford on TAC case.  When Ford notifies us will contact customer."

"Test drove vehicle and verified customer concern.  Felt issue as customer described.  Took readings from like vehicle and compared to customers.  All normal at this time.  Transmission shift logic's compar ......…"

?

That is all I know at this time.  Tech's write up stopped so I don't know what else was written.  Will try to find out.

Here is how I read it.  Tech confirmed what I described the vehicle is doing.  Compared to another like vehicle.  It was doing the same.  All or most Edges have the same problem.  Ford has not provided service departments with information on similar issues so tech filed a TAC (?) with Ford.  Waiting for Ford to respond.

Anyone know what a TAC is?  How long do customers wait to receive an update? 

Very disappointing to hear. That is exactly what happened with mine two months ago. “Verified  issue but it was same on a like vehicle.” They filed something like a TAC for me too and I haven’t heard a thing to date. I am going to try again in the next couple weeks. 

Brand new 2019 Titanium w/ 900 miles on it has rough shifting in low gears and bucking at low speeds especially the first drive after sitting for awhile.  Noticed the issue around 400 miles but was thinking it was me being super picky or crazy.  Took it in to Ford.  No lights or codes.  Transmission tech rode with service Tech.  Didn’t notice anything.  However, the service center reported it to Ford.  I’m waiting for a response on repair if any.  Interesting fact:  the service center asked if it happened first thing in the am and wanted my car overnight...

Not questioning your thought but if it was as simple as calibrating the PCM/TCM, why hasn't any of the three service departments I have had the vehicle at tried that fix?  They also claimed to have talked to Ford.  I still cannot understand why service departments say "it's normal operation".

• Like 1

I'm going to chime in here and say we traded a 2015 Edge sport for a new 2019 Edge ST a little over a month ago. It's my wife's car and she is having the same problems everybody else is and Ford can't fix it right now. It has caused her to hate her new Edge. Her old one drove and shifted perfectly all the time. There is an article out there that says Ford is working on a recalibration for the edge ST transmission. It will likely be for all 8 speed Edge transmissions. It can't come soon enough.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ktp1598 said:

I'm going to chime in here and say we traded a 2015 Edge sport for a new 2019 Edge ST a little over a month ago. It's my wife's car and she is having the same problems everybody else is and Ford can't fix it right now. It has caused her to hate her new Edge. Her old one drove and shifted perfectly all the time. There is an article out there that says Ford is working on a recalibration for the edge ST transmission. It will likely be for all 8 speed Edge transmissions. It can't come soon enough.

When was her manufacturing date?  I have one built at the end of last year and there was a TSB to correct some issues, new software.  Mine has not done the bucking and I have had it 9000 miles.  It did have some crappy shifting before the TSB was performed but nothing really bad since.  When cold it does kind of stutter between 2nd and 3rd and skip 3rd to go right to 4th.  But it is fine when warmed up.  Even now that I went back to the stock tune it shifts fine.  Sure it still needs some tweaking but it is far more enjoyable now.  Not as much as when tuned but still good. 

It was made 4/15/19 so the TSB doesn't apply. I took it in for service and they said there are no TSB's available for her vehicle. I think I'm going to clear the TCM memory and see if that helps. Unfortunately there's no video's (that I know of) with step by step instructions using FORScan so this should be fun. I've done it before on my Focus ST but this is HER car and I can't screw it up.

2 hours ago, ktp1598 said:

It was made 4/15/19 so the TSB doesn't apply. I took it in for service and they said there are no TSB's available for her vehicle. I think I'm going to clear the TCM memory and see if that helps. Unfortunately there's no video's (that I know of) with step by step instructions using FORScan so this should be fun. I've done it before on my Focus ST but this is HER car and I can't screw it up.

Please take good notes on how you do this for future reference?  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys I have nothing good to report.  As noted above, my visit to a third dealer service department gained nothing.  A week or so later the service department did real back to me Ford's answer to their TAC case.  Not quoting but essentially "Tell the customer what they are experiencing is normal".  I asked for a copy of Ford's reply but have not been given one.

Not sure what else to do. 

• 1 month later...

I bought a 2019 Ford Edge Titanium last month and am experiencing the same problems. Took it back to the dealership and was told the same thing..." this is normal for this vehicle ". The service manager told me that the only thing I could do was complain to ford and if ENOUGH  people did they may up-grade the software. I never drove a 2020 and am curious to know if they did anything to correct the problem with them.

I somehow missed it when I test drove it. The dealership is along a highway where I just jumped out on it and it was 50-60 mph up the road and the same back. As soon as I got it back to our community it started doing it (we have a 25 mph speed limit) and the next morning when it was cold it was worse. It is sickening to have bought a brand new car and have it run like a 72 duster or something.

I bought a 2019 Ford Edge Titanium last month and am experiencing the same problems. Took it back to the dealership and was told the same thing..." this is normal for this vehicle ". The service manager told me that the only thing I could do was complain to ford and if ENOUGH  people did they may up-grade the software. I never drove a 2020 and am curious to know if they did anything to correct the problem with them.

I somehow missed it when I test drove it. The dealership is along a highway where I just jumped out on it and it was 50-60 mph up the road and the same back. As soon as I got it back to our community it started doing it (we have a 25 mph speed limit) and the next morning when it was cold it was worse. It is sickening to have bought a brand new car and have it run like a 72 duster or something.