Edge Low Speed Surge/Buck - Transmission

Toby99

Just found this forum post.    https://edgestnation.com/topic/3355-2019-edge-st-with-8f57-transmission-issues/

The latest TSB is 20-2190.

Released June 2, 2020.

I had it done and all the issues have been resolved.

No more slow engagement from 3-4.

No more harsh engagement from R to D.

No more lurching at 6 mph when upshifting.

It looks like Ford did a really good job on this one.

I am just curious to see how long it will last.

The last TSB only lasted 4 months

1 hour ago, Toby99 said:

Just found this forum post.    https://edgestnation.com/topic/3355-2019-edge-st-with-8f57-transmission-issues/

The latest TSB is 20-2190.

Released June 2, 2020.

I had it done and all the issues have been resolved.

No more slow engagement from 3-4.

No more harsh engagement from R to D.

No more lurching at 6 mph when upshifting.

It looks like Ford did a really good job on this one.

I am just curious to see how long it will last.

The last TSB only lasted 4 months

do you have a st cause i think this one is for the st i have the sel. i think i have the 8f35 trans this bulletin dont think applys to me. but i dont have harsh engagement from r to d or upshifting problems my problem is its very sluggish when driving after sitting overnight i press gas and doesnt go anywhere but i hear turbo spinning i have to put in in sport mode and drive for a bit before switching back then it drives normally.seems to drive fine after driving for a bit. but last month or so accelerating the car would buck like you were slipping on wet pavement. but now its worse every morning after sitting like i said it wont accelerate unless i put in sports mode for a while.do you think reproprogramming the pcm will help me.

Yep, only states the 8F57 transmission.  I have a 2019 Titanium.  Also do not see any mention of slow speed lurching in the TSB.

I had TSB 19-2331 performed by the regional field service engineer.  Did absolutely nothing for the slow speed buck/surge.  I doubt she even drove the vehicle after the update.   I have also had the PCM reprogrammed in the past and it did nothing to correct the problem. 

So, the ST is getting attention but doesn't appear other Edges are.

Time to file another complaint with Customer Care.

Edited by Toby99

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Toby99 said:

Looking for updates.  Has anyone been able to get this issue fixed on their vehicle?  I just made another call to Customer Care and received yet another CAS number.

i had this problem with my 19 edge no power in morning bucking when accelerating turned out i had trans leak only after 10,000 miles dealer fixed the leak no more problems

Matthew, can you post the repair specifics?  Were exactly was the leak?  What was done to fix the leak?

Would like to provide the info to service department at my next visit.   Would be helpful if they know where to look and how to correct.

Thanks.  

20 minutes ago, Toby99 said:

Matthew, can you post the repair specifics?  Were exactly was the leak?  What was done to fix the leak?

Would like to provide the info to service department at my next visit.   Would be helpful if they know where to look and how to correct.

Thanks.  

42F466F1-F2B0-4928-890B-DE2846E2733A.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Toby99 said:

Thanks.  

i asked guy why there were no leaks to tell where it was leakin he said it could of been blowby which it was goin somewhere else just took it on a trip out of state drives like when i bought it. it would buck at first then as i kept driving it in morning the most i would try to drive and no power couldnt go anywhere then would kick in after like 5 min but it got worse every morning so i took it in

• 4 weeks later...

Went out yesterday morning, and the transmission did not buck.  It was VERY noticeable.  I'm used to lurching and bucking at least until I get out of the neighborhood.  Not sure why this happened, but I'm hoping it lasts.  Just took it to the dealer for an oil change a little over a week ago, but they didn't mention any other work that they did.  I am now at 14500 miles.  Stay tuned...

Regards,

Bob B

I just bought a 2020 Ford Edge Titanium, now with 200 miles, just noticed the same bucking at low speed (15 mph) worse when cold engine.  Dealer is clueless. Any resolutions out there?  Other than the bucking, I love the car!

Thanks.   

Edited by dansirois

2 minutes ago, dansirois said:

I just bought a 2020 Ford Edge Platinum, now with 200 miles, just noticed the same bucking at low speed (15 mph) worse when cold engine.  Dealer is clueless. Any resolutions out there?  Other than the bucking, I love the car!

Thanks.   

i dont know if you feel the same but when mine di that it felt like i was slipping on wet ground after accelerating from a stop but got worse after 1000 miles and wouldnt accelerate at all in morning took it in found a trans leak though nothing was no ground. my problem was solved

7 hours ago, ktp1598 said:

TSB 20-2190 issued in June '20 will likely fix most ST transmission issues that are software related. If you've not had this applied get it done. Tell them it is bucking and you have hard shifts and to apply TSB 20-2190. 

Had the tsb done on mine early august and for me it made the transmission worse, specially in sport mode. In D mode it's fine but not where i would like it to be. Will be taking it back early september to have them look at it again. 

Edited by ONEDGE16

18 hours ago, ONEDGE16 said:

Had the tsb done on mine early august and for me it made the transmission worse, specially in sport mode. In D mode it's fine but not where i would like it to be. Will be taking it back early september to have them look at it again. 

Are you noticing the problem in  S Mode when letting the car autoshift or when you are using the paddles?  I don't notice much to complain about in auto shift mode, but when trying to use paddles it makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong  or lack coordination?  When shifting from 3rd to 4th gear using paddles the cars bucks and doesn't really  appear to shift.   On some of the other gears the actual shift is much delayed from the activation of the paddle.  I feel that Ford Engineering has more programming to do with the S Mode when using paddles. 

I wonder if at  the ST Experience (or whatever it's called) test track,  paddles are used in the S mode?  For anyone who attended, did the car you drove behave the same as your own car in S mode using paddles?  If it behaved like mine, I'd think Ford Engineering would be embarrassed.

Please let us know what the dealer says.  Ask the dealer if  Ford Engineering will be made aware of your complaint? 

1 hour ago, BillE said:

Are you noticing the problem in  S Mode when letting the car autoshift or when you are using the paddles?  I don't notice much to complain about in auto shift mode, but when trying to use paddles it makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong  or lack coordination?  When shifting from 3rd to 4th gear using paddles the cars bucks and doesn't really  appear to shift.   On some of the other gears the actual shift is much delayed from the activation of the paddle.  I feel that Ford Engineering has more programming to do with the S Mode when using paddles. 

I wonder if at  the ST Experience (or whatever it's called) test track,  paddles are used in the S mode?  For anyone who attended, did the car you drove behave the same as your own car in S mode using paddles?  If it behaved like mine, I'd think Ford Engineering would be embarrassed.

Please let us know what the dealer says.  Ask the dealer if  Ford Engineering will be made aware of your complaint? 

I gave up on the paddles after the first use. Ford has still to make significant progress as it relates to the paddle shifters. The problem is mostly noticeable in S mode when slowing down and it starts downshifting into the lower gears. Sometimes before coming to a full stop it feels like it's slamming the transmission into 1st. it's mainly that downshift through 4-3-2-1 range when slowing down where I feel it most. the other applies as well when launching from a full stop, the upshift through the lower gears still very noticeable and harsh. The problems are more prominent when I turn off traction/stability control. I believe my transmission issue is more then a programming issue and might be more mechanical (torque converter or sticky solenoid or something else...).