Toby99

2019 Edge Low Speed Surge/Buck

On 9/26/2020 at 1:11 AM, Sacha771 said:

I have the same jerking problem and lagging response at low speeds in the morning. But I did a test and turned off adaptive cruise control to normal in the menu and the problem stopped completely !!! Now I know that it is not the fault of the gearbox or the engine, but the electronics that drives the car for us,   Please try the same to see if it improves

I don't even have adaptive cruise. 

So my Edge is at the dealer for a buggy Sync. The 2020 Edge loaner I am driving has a buttery smooth transmission (1471 miles). It feels like a CVT for real. I mentioned this to the service advisor and he informed me that they flashed a TSB for mine. Let's see how it is when I pick it up. 

Yes, please post results.  TSB number and a document photo would be most helpful.

Results : The transmission is greatly improved, and I am detecting a lot more low end "pep". Shifts are not as smooth as the 2020 loaner, but it is still a marked improvement over what it was. On the 2020, you couldn't even feel it shift at all. On mine, you can feel it shift but it isn't as "harsh". Popped my tune back on, and shifting is hard again (but still better than before). It's interesting... when gunning it, the transmission upshifts "softly" instead of knocking you back in your seat like it usually does.

When I picked up my Edge from the dealer, I paid some more attention to boost levels on my Ultragauge. Before the flash, the transmission was trying to upshift so early that my boost levels for normal acceleration was around 2 to 3 psi. Now that it carries the revs a little higher, I'm getting 5 to 7 psi on normal acceleration. It does seem that the new mapping has the transmission holding boost and revs a little higher before it shifts, so when it does upshift... it will be in the "meaty range" instead of falling flat. 

Tested low speed turns in which the transmission was notorious for bogging and lugging the engine, and it still does it for a split second. It now upshifts as soon as the gas is pressed slightly, instead of lugging and bogging until up to speed/or forcing an upshift with heavy pressing of gas pedal (no more flat spot in the torque range).

I can't seem to find the paperwork with the TSB number, and my maintenance history on MyFord doesn't have any dealer notes. I'm sure the paper is somewhere, as we've been moving a bunch of stuff around to clear out the basement which is where my office is.

All in all - it depends on the adaptive learning, as the transmission will learn over time. Let's see what happens over time.

EDIT : Found the TSB number. It is 19-2331. Don't have a document for it, just a dealer note saying "Flashed TSB 19-2331 to address harsh shifting"

Edited by IcyFridge
Added TSB number.

Sounds promising.  That TSB number is important since I'm expecting a call from the service department forman this week.  Want to talk to him about it.   As expected the latest adaptive learning reset did nothing for my bucking/surging.

Thanks for the update.  I had 19-2331 performed in July.  Did nothing for my 2019 Titanium.

Yeah. Seems like mines right back to being a clunker. However it does seem softer. 

If they were able to get it right on the 2020, it shouldn't be hard to do it on the 2019. 

I've been trying to have this issue fixed since the first of 2019.  Now almost two years.  Lost count of the times I've had the vehicle in for this issue and I know many others have too.  So Ford can't  say they are not aware of the problem.  And if it is a software problem, it shouldn't take two years to correct it, if your plan is to fix it.  Does not appear that Ford cares, at all