Edge Low Speed Surge/Buck - Transmission

Toby99

On 9/26/2020 at 1:11 AM, Sacha771 said:

I have the same jerking problem and lagging response at low speeds in the morning. But I did a test and turned off adaptive cruise control to normal in the menu and the problem stopped completely !!! Now I know that it is not the fault of the gearbox or the engine, but the electronics that drives the car for us,   Please try the same to see if it improves

I don't even have adaptive cruise. 

• 1 month later...

Results : The transmission is greatly improved, and I am detecting a lot more low end "pep". Shifts are not as smooth as the 2020 loaner, but it is still a marked improvement over what it was. On the 2020, you couldn't even feel it shift at all. On mine, you can feel it shift but it isn't as "harsh". Popped my tune back on, and shifting is hard again (but still better than before). It's interesting... when gunning it, the transmission upshifts "softly" instead of knocking you back in your seat like it usually does.

When I picked up my Edge from the dealer, I paid some more attention to boost levels on my Ultragauge. Before the flash, the transmission was trying to upshift so early that my boost levels for normal acceleration was around 2 to 3 psi. Now that it carries the revs a little higher, I'm getting 5 to 7 psi on normal acceleration. It does seem that the new mapping has the transmission holding boost and revs a little higher before it shifts, so when it does upshift... it will be in the "meaty range" instead of falling flat. 

Tested low speed turns in which the transmission was notorious for bogging and lugging the engine, and it still does it for a split second. It now upshifts as soon as the gas is pressed slightly, instead of lugging and bogging until up to speed/or forcing an upshift with heavy pressing of gas pedal (no more flat spot in the torque range).

I can't seem to find the paperwork with the TSB number, and my maintenance history on MyFord doesn't have any dealer notes. I'm sure the paper is somewhere, as we've been moving a bunch of stuff around to clear out the basement which is where my office is.

All in all - it depends on the adaptive learning, as the transmission will learn over time. Let's see what happens over time.

EDIT : Found the TSB number. It is 19-2331. Don't have a document for it, just a dealer note saying "Flashed TSB 19-2331 to address harsh shifting"

Edited by IcyFridge
Added TSB number.

I've been trying to have this issue fixed since the first of 2019.  Now almost two years.  Lost count of the times I've had the vehicle in for this issue and I know many others have too.  So Ford can't  say they are not aware of the problem.  And if it is a software problem, it shouldn't take two years to correct it, if your plan is to fix it.  Does not appear that Ford cares, at all

• 3 months later...
22 hours ago, Breez said:

Yep, still the problem continues... What is Ford thinking???

Same for me. The worst is just after starting, then traveling down a hill. I've almost hit cars in front me with the surge/shift into 2nd. 

Going down my very steep driveway, there is NO shift. Motion will stop, almost stall, then surge. Very weird in snow.

Waiting for the Mach-E to have its software/charging worked out... then trade. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, well! So I'm not imagining the exact same problem. My 2019 Nautilus 2.0 is doing the exact same thing between 20 and 40 MPH. Of course this is most of my driving in the city. Doesn't occur at highway speeds. Mechanic noticed it with me in the car, reprogrammed it and....it's still does it. It shows on the tach when using speed control. I feel a long wait for correction coming on.....

I just recently bought a used 2019 Ford Edge with 80000 miles. I felt the same bucking/pulsing in 2nd gear. Usually starts around 15mph and up to 35mph. If I set cruise on, low speed or high, it pulsates constantly. Repeated calls to the dealership I bought from ended with taking it to a Ford dealership for diagnostic. They found it has a bad torque converter. Which is on backorder for 8 months! Other option is to replace the entire transmission. 

Interesting your service department even acknowledged  the problem.  I've mentioned the torque converter in the past but get no response from the tech working the vehicle.  My experience is "it's normal operation".  I'm dreading it but plan to schedule yet another service visit.  This will be visit five or six.  So many I forget.

Please post any updates.

I understand.  I've talked to the dealership.  After convincing someone to call Ford, it has been confirmed the TSB is for my vehicle.  Not really sure what the problem was but initially the system showed nothing for this TSB.  Will get an appointment scheduled.    

Thank you for posting the information.

Edited by Toby99
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Johnny,

Had the TSB performed the end of March.   PCM was also reset.  Honestly at this point I can't say if it did anything.  I'm waiting a few more miles for the PCM to do it's adaptive learning before I make a judgement.  

I still see the tach bounce after shifting.  Has done that since new.  Ford can't blame mechanical linkage since the tach is all digital.  Anyone else see this?

Wasn't the best service experience.  Had an appointment for 8am, which didn't mean anything.  Vehicle was ready six hours later.  I sat at the dealership most of the time.  Kept getting excuses for the delays.  Maybe they were trying to tell me to go somewhere else for service.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Issue still appears to exist even after latest TSB.  It's either something other than the software or Ford doesn't know and is guessing at a fix.  Or maybe the transmission is a total mess and do not want to do recalls to replace.

Discovered another problem that could be related.  With the engine running and shifter in neutral, I can't set the engine at 1500 rpm.  It's either 1000 or 3000.  Seems the accelerator is too sensitive.  Anyone know if there is a setting in the software to adjust accelerator sensitivity?

• 1 month later...

2019 Edge.  TSB 21-2081 installed yesterday.  MUCH improved performance.  It had really gotten worse lately.  Was especially bad after first starting the car after sitting in the hot Florida sun for a few hours.  Will update this thread after a month or two, but I'm optimistic right now.

• Thanks 1