Edge Low Speed Surge/Buck - Transmission

Toby99

On 6/27/2021 at 7:04 AM, barrowrk said:

2019 Edge.  TSB 21-2081 installed yesterday.  MUCH improved performance.  It had really gotten worse lately.  Was especially bad after first starting the car after sitting in the hot Florida sun for a few hours.  Will update this thread after a month or two, but I'm optimistic right now.

Looking forward to hearing if it helped long term.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,  This is my first time posting on this forum but I have been following the forum for some time and have gotten some good information especially from this thread.  I have a 2019 Edge Titanium and have experienced the bucking and surging at low speed when the vehicle was cold.  Once the vehicle has warmed up the bucking and surging would disappear.  Before there were any TSB's that my vehicle qualified for the dealer did reset the transmission  which did help quite a bit until this summer when the temperature got into the 90's.  The bucking and surging got bad with the vehicle cold.  I saw the latest TSP 21- 2081 on this forum.  I showed it to the dealer and told him up front that since the car is warmed up you will not be able to duplicate the issue.  They did perform the update and I will say that I believe that the transmission does shift a little smoother but the bucking and surging is still there although maybe not as pronounced.  The update seems to have done more for the shifting than the bucking and surging.  

All that said I also have a 2020 Escape Titanium with the 2.0 L engine (not hybrid) and the same transmission. That car also has some bucking and surging when cold in the warmer temperatures.  I know of a couple of people who have other brand vehicles who have mentioned similar bucking and surging when the vehicles are cold.  While the bucking and surging is disappointing I am thinking that it is an unfortunate characteristic of these transmissions, it may be I will have to just live with it unless it gets to a point where it happens constantly after the vehicle has warmed up. 

DGW,

Thanks for posting your vehicle's issues.  While I too deal with the problem daily, I am concerned about what could be happening long term.  What happens a month after the warranty expires and we have massive drive train failure.  Do you think Ford will cover it?

What ever anyone thinks, and in my opinion,  the bucking/surging is not "normal" to any transmission.  If it was, wouldn't all vehicles do it?  No, it's lazy engineering and Ford management's lack of concern.  

All I know is, if you ever go to sell the vehicle do it when the engine and transmission have warmed to operating temperature. 

Hi Toby99, 

I agree with you that the transmission issue is not normal and shouldn't happen. I was very disappointed when it started happening, even more disappointed when I noticed that it was happening to my Escape as well.  It's issues like these along with other issues like coolant leaks into the previous years escape engines that has made me decide to buy the Ford ESP so that I am hopefully covered for any major breakdown. I know that the ESP is an extra cost that I shouldn't have to pay but unfortunately I look at it as a necessary cost of buying a car these days.  I buy my cars and try to keep them for a long time.   

It is funny that you commented on selling the vehicle and making sure the engine has warmed to operating temperatures.  The is exactly what the salesman did when I took the car out for a test drive so I didn't notice the surging and bucking right away.  I am sure he knew how the vehicle would drive cold.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone found a resolution to this problem experiencing this on my 2020 Ford Edge SEL, like everyone's notes low speeds way worse first thing in the morning or after work never a smooth shift at low speeds and I have hesitation. (I think that scares me the most, especially driving in Florida...) as well as a rocking when stopped after the autostart kicks the vehicle back on. So glad I'm not the only one who's experienced this. But dissapointed just the same. The rocking happened once when I very first brought it home but then stopped. It's worse when the air is on.  but the surging started a few months ago. So far they have replaced my TSB and an O2 sensor. Been in the shop 3 times each time more than 2 weeks. For the O2 sensor it was a month. Neither has fixed and it got worse after the TSB replacement. 

I have a 2019 Edge Titanium, 2.0.  Since day one I always though the transmission was a bit funky.  After doing some searching, I found this topic and others regarding the transmission.  I have the low speed bucking and at times it just felt like it was a stick car and I was going into to high of a gear and the car feels hesitant to move.  Due the pandemic and other life issues, I've only put 9500 miles on the car since October of 2019.  I know the most common thins dealers do is reset the Transmission programming, and as I don't drive the car that much, I had no desire to deal with it "learning" for months.  I have also read by many that it doesn't do anything really.  It wasn't so horrible that I wasn't unable to drive it, so I was just going to monitor this post till a hopeful resolution came up.  As I have the car for awhile now and reading some of the posts, I'm not actually 100% positive that it's the transmission that is the issue.  

On one or two occasions last year, I was noticing on hot days, first time driving that day, with the AC blasting, I would drive a few blocks and stop at a light.  Right when I would come to a full stop the car would start shaking while stopped.  First time freaked me out and I was checking my heart rate.  lol.  It happened another time, and honestly forgot to mention in when I brought the car in for regular service.  Fast forward to this summer, and it's doing it more frequently and shaking far worse.  The hotter the day, the worse it is. I have tried shutting off the AC, while it gets better, it's still there.  If I put he car in park/neutral, shaking goes away.  When the car is shaking and I take my foot of the brake and coast, the car jerks forward and will keep jerking till I give it a little gas.  It does this for roughly 15 min, during that time, the severity of the shaking/jerking decreases.  When I get in it at night, I do not experience the shaking, but the car definitely hesitates at times.  I started to realizing the bucking I was feeling and was thinking was the transmission since I got the car, might not be the transmission.  The jerking I was experiencing while coasting from a stop, felt like it was just a more exaggerated low speed surge/bucking that I was experiencing since I got the car.  I'm thinking it's a fuel system issue, possibly.

I feel like the low speed surge/bucking is the car hesitating from idle.  This hesitation feels very similar to when the fuel filter on my 1983 regal & my 1986 cavalier would clog.  That issue never really presented itself unless you were taking off from a full stop, but the hesitation my Edge is having feels very familiar(it was a century ago lol).  Now this may not be everybody experience/issue, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced/feels that this might be the issue.  I will be taking my car in next month and will discuss with my service department.  I'm sure it will be cold by then and they "won't be able to reproduce it", as it happens with most issues I try to get fixed.  

Couple of things;

I always fill up with Mobil super(don't pay for gas)

Auto start/stop is turned off permanently (once I found out a windows laptop and and $18 reader would get rid of that, I was like sign me up!!! lol)

Again, might not be everybody's experience, but would love to hear your opinions.

Sorry for being soooo long winded....

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2021 at 6:28 AM, CHRISN85 said:

Has anyone found a resolution to this problem experiencing this on my 2020 Ford Edge SEL, like everyone's notes low speeds way worse first thing in the morning or after work never a smooth shift at low speeds and I have hesitation. (I think that scares me the most, especially driving in Florida...) as well as a rocking when stopped after the autostart kicks the vehicle back on. So glad I'm not the only one who's experienced this. But dissapointed just the same. The rocking happened once when I very first brought it home but then stopped. It's worse when the air is on.  but the surging started a few months ago. So far they have replaced my TSB and an O2 sensor. Been in the shop 3 times each time more than 2 weeks. For the O2 sensor it was a month. Neither has fixed and it got worse after the TSB replacement. 

A resolution from Ford, No.  I'm almost at three years dealing with this issue and Ford.

Please consider mailing a letter to Ford management explaining your issue and lack of a fix.  Here's the address:

Ford Motor Company

1 American Rd.

Dearborn, MI 48126  

Attention:

William Clay Ford Jr., Executive Chairman

James D. Farley, Jr. Chief Executive Officer

Dave Filipe, Vice President, Vehicle Hardware Modules

Elena Ford,  Chief Customer Experience Officer

If I could ask, can you check to see if your vehicle has difficulty keeping a steady rpm.  Place transmission in neutral, set parking brake, then try to raise rpm to 2000 from idle.  I can not.  I found this problem when having the engine oil changed.  Tech asked me to raise the rpm up to 2000.  Couldn't do it.  Either idle or near 3000. 

On 8/31/2021 at 8:50 PM, steamroll9 said:

I have a 2019 Edge Titanium, 2.0.  Since day one I always though the transmission was a bit funky.  After doing some searching, I found this topic and others regarding the transmission.  I have the low speed bucking and at times it just felt like it was a stick car and I was going into to high of a gear and the car feels hesitant to move.  Due the pandemic and other life issues, I've only put 9500 miles on the car since October of 2019.  I know the most common thins dealers do is reset the Transmission programming, and as I don't drive the car that much, I had no desire to deal with it "learning" for months.  I have also read by many that it doesn't do anything really.  It wasn't so horrible that I wasn't unable to drive it, so I was just going to monitor this post till a hopeful resolution came up.  As I have the car for awhile now and reading some of the posts, I'm not actually 100% positive that it's the transmission that is the issue.  

If not the transmission, any idea what it could be?  Ford could use the help. 

I asked this in the above post.  Can you check to see if your vehicle has difficulty keeping a steady rpm.  Place transmission in neutral, set parking brake, then try to raise rpm to 2000 from idle. 

On one or two occasions last year, I was noticing on hot days, first time driving that day, with the AC blasting, I would drive a few blocks and stop at a light.  Right when I would come to a full stop the car would start shaking while stopped.  First time freaked me out and I was checking my heart rate.  lol.  It happened another time, and honestly forgot to mention in when I brought the car in for regular service.  Fast forward to this summer, and it's doing it more frequently and shaking far worse.  The hotter the day, the worse it is. I have tried shutting off the AC, while it gets better, it's still there.  If I put he car in park/neutral, shaking goes away.  When the car is shaking and I take my foot of the brake and coast, the car jerks forward and will keep jerking till I give it a little gas.  It does this for roughly 15 min, during that time, the severity of the shaking/jerking decreases.  When I get in it at night, I do not experience the shaking, but the car definitely hesitates at times.  I started to realizing the bucking I was feeling and was thinking was the transmission since I got the car, might not be the transmission.  The jerking I was experiencing while coasting from a stop, felt like it was just a more exaggerated low speed surge/bucking that I was experiencing since I got the car.  I'm thinking it's a fuel system issue, possibly.

I feel like the low speed surge/bucking is the car hesitating from idle.  This hesitation feels very similar to when the fuel filter on my 1983 regal & my 1986 cavalier would clog.  That issue never really presented itself unless you were taking off from a full stop, but the hesitation my Edge is having feels very familiar(it was a century ago lol).  Now this may not be everybody experience/issue, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced/feels that this might be the issue.  I will be taking my car in next month and will discuss with my service department.  I'm sure it will be cold by then and they "won't be able to reproduce it", as it happens with most issues I try to get fixed.  

I suspect it could be a sensitive throttle sensor.  Why I asked about holding the rpm at 2000.  I experience it too.  The hesitation is either idle rpm or 2000+ which may cause the transmission to not know what gear to be in.  Slightly remove your foot off the pedal and engine goes back to idle causing a downshift.  Touch the pedal again and now engine is back to 2000+ and upshift. 

Someone also mentioned in a post they did not have the problem if using cruise control at a slow speed.  I don't recall if you can set cruise at 15-20 mph.  If the pedal sensor is the problem that could explain why we feel and see the bucking using the pedal but not when using cruise control.

Couple of things;

I always fill up with Mobil super(don't pay for gas)

Auto start/stop is turned off permanently (once I found out a windows laptop and and $18 reader would get rid of that, I was like sign me up!!! lol)

Again, might not be everybody's experience, but would love to hear your opinions.

Sorry for being soooo long winded....

Also, please consider a letter to Ford.

On 8/10/2021 at 12:39 PM, DGW said:

I buy my cars and try to keep them for a long time.   I

Me too.  In Janurary 2019 I traded a 2000 Explorer XLT with 275,000 miles for the 2019 Edge Titanium.  Explorer ran perfectly.  And what do I receive for my vehicle loyalty to Ford? 

I also have the problem on my 2019 but not as bad as some of you. The problem is certainly fixable but it would take an effort on Ford’s part and that costs money. This says something about Ford. The money they would have to spend to fix the problem is not worth the customers that they will irritate or lose. Sad!

My 2019 Edge Titanium is also having the low speed bucking transmission issues. I was wondering if anyone else has heard a metal clank or knocking noise from the transmission as you let off the pedal? It does not do it every time, but the noise happens a few times on every drive. This has started, or finally noticed, in the last couple months of driving. I have not had TSB-21-2081 performed yet. It is the clank and knocking noise that makes me wonder if something is really wrong. Please reply if you are hearing a metal clank or knocking noise. 

Edited by ajhart1000

On 9/4/2021 at 9:37 PM, ajhart1000 said:

My 2019 Edge Titanium is also having the low speed bucking transmission issues. I was wondering if anyone else has heard a metal clank or knocking noise from the transmission as you let off the pedal? It does not do it every time, but the noise happens a few times on every drive. This has started, or finally noticed, in the last couple months of driving. I have not had TSB-21-2081 performed yet. It is the clank and knocking noise that makes me wonder if something is really wrong. Please reply if you are hearing a metal clank or knocking noise. 

Haven't heard a knocking noise other than when auto engine shut off restarts the engine when releasing the brake.  It annoys me so I turn it off everytime I start the vehicle.

You could have the TSB performed and see if the helps.  Nothing Ford nas done so far has fixed the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Curious if anyone reading this thread is an actual Ford certified tech.  Do you have any information you can share regarding this issue? 

Is Ford aware/acknowledged there is a problem?

Is Ford actually doing anything constructive to resolve it?  Published TSB's haven't worked.

• 1 month later...

Well I had tech drive the vehicle and run tests again and he checked everything that he could with his computer plugged in and nothing, of course, so I submitted a hotline request. I doubt they will have the answers. At this point, I may get a horse. Like many of you, I am not happy.

That's not good news.  I have service scheduled for Jan 2022.  Should I even bother.

Several months ago I sent another series of letters to Ford management.  A week ago I received a letter from "Marguita" Customer Service Representative.  Recommended I schedule service "for a more up-to-date diagnosis to determine the cause of any symptoms........."  

I guess I'll give Ford one more try a identifing the problem and fixing it.

Thought I'd ask this again.  Does anyone else experience a very sensitive throttle response?  With the vehicle idling, if I slightly touch the accelator with my foot the engine revs to 2000 rpm.  I can't do slight increases in rpm.  It's either idle or 2000.  If I try to release pressure on the accelator the rpm goes back to idle.  

Is there an adjustment in the computer that controls throttle sensitivity? 

Edited by Toby99

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my 2019 edge built before Nov 2018

On a whim I thought of mixing it up and used S mode then went back to regular mode. 

There was a marked improvement.

I also tried using my paddle shifter and got up to 8th gear, it has to be at approx. 2000rpm or greater to kick in.

My suspicion is it has to do with oil flow in the unit but that is my uninformed suspicion.

It's worth trying it.

Edited by rafeeki

My story is basically the same as 95% of the posters on this thread. 2019 Edge Titanium bucks and surges at low speeds. Three times to dealership, no change. 

Question: Has anyone tried one of these after market performance modules that retune your vehicle? Expensive, but if it worked, I'd spend the money.