karpcbk

PTU drain plug

18 minutes ago, 14AWD3.5 said:

Update and thread bump.  Got my 3rd PTU flush (this time at a Firestone dealer, $80 by itself) at 55,000 miles. That should be well under any fluid thickening issue. Fluid (75/140) came out relatively clean. 1/2 qt (appx) replaced.  Manager said they'd never changed the PTU fluid on an Edge before! I had to show them where the drain plug was located.

Then I had them drain and fill the RDU (rear diff).  75/90 Ford equivalent fluid. This old fluid was dirtier looking. Glad I got that changed. Sure is a small differential housing.

Took them all of 35 minutes for both, nice having a lift and a power transfer pump machine to do the work. I don't have ramps or jackstands, though I could have bought them all for the total price ($197) but the convenience was what I paid for.  Done with the PTU now for another 25K, and the RDU till 100K.

Guys don't forget to flush your coolant to protect that internal water pump!

Thanks for the update.

• Like 1

I am looking for the TPU drain drill location photo I have seen before here, but cannot locate it. Does anyone remember where it is? Thank you.

6 hours ago, paker said:

I am looking for the TPU drain drill location photo I have seen before here, but cannot locate it. Does anyone remember where it is? Thank you.

I don't attempt using the forum search, just go with Google.

Found the drawing I was looking for. It is embedded in this youtube video at 2:40.

• Like 1

Thank you forum members. I was able to complete the project with your help. Summary notes:

1. Buck Newby had another youtube video. Drawing for the exact hole location is in this other video.

2. I used a T-handle tapping wrench with both hands for the first 2 threads to ensure straight threading. The remaining was done with a socket and a socket wrench.

3. My drain hole is 1/8". I used 1/8" npt tap, 5/16" 12 point socket, 3/8" extension, 3/8" ratchet. Casing was at least 1/2" thick. For 1/8" plug, I tapped about 2/3 of the hole depth. No worries of shavings to enter the gear box. 

Thank you.

Add me to the list of leaking PTUs (07 MKX). Incredible Ford’s been silent, I’m guessing a class action would be needed to get a response.

Likely trading in the car in less than a year. Haven’t had any symptoms except black sludge on the PTU. Should I bother flushing the fluid? If chances are very low of a catastrophic failure I’d rather forego. 

Also should that stop the leak, or even with new oil will it continue leaking? It’s black sludge so I assume it’s splatter from the vent, not the seals. 

If you were keeping it for a year I'd change it. Why risk a failure and the subsequent expense?

If you were trading it this month then no.

Just my 1.5 cents.