Mileage when taking delivery

Orbie

Hi All,

New user here, community looks great! I'm about to finalize a deal on a new Edge ST, however I noticed the odometer on the car is at 70km/43 miles. The dealer insists the car has never been used as a demo, and that they test drive the vehicle out of the factory. Even with transportation and PDI this still seems high to me. Wanted to ask the owners here what was your mileage on the car when you took delivery?

Thanks!

70 km is way high. i don't remember how many my car had but IIRC it was fewer than 20. to me, the break-in period is important if you intend to keep your car for a long time. i would guess that people who want to test drive the new ST want to see how fast it is and are going to be flooring it right out of the dealer lot on a cold engine.

personally, i wouldn't take that car. i wouldn't trust a car salesman to give me the time of day either. don't let emotions get you. you can find another ST or even order the exact one you want.

Thanks for all the replies this helps a lot!  The 70 km is definitely high, this is going to be a short term lease for me though so I'm not as concerned over long term reliability from poor break-in. However I really don't know how those kilometers were driven, so last thing I want is some huge power train failure where my car is out of action for an extended period of time while I have it. But still being under 100 km, not sure if I'm making a mountain out of a molehill...

Edited by Orbie

Good grief you guys are ridiculous.  There's nothing you can do to a car in 70km that's ever going to cause "huge power train failure".

If any of you actually saw how they drive every single car around the plant, you'd probably never buy any one of them.

5 hours ago, Waldo said:

Good grief you guys are ridiculous.  There's nothing you can do to a car in 70km that's ever going to cause "huge power train failure".

If any of you actually saw how they drive every single car around the plant, you'd probably never buy any one of them.

The question was, "Wanted to ask the owners here what was your mileage on the car when you took delivery?"  I don't feel ridiculous at all for answering, but thanks for the additional information.

5 hours ago, Waldo said:

the original post never mentioned "huge power train failure." the OP mentioned that in a subsequent post.

but how you treat the engine during break-in will affect how it performs in the long run. most likely it won't be a failure per se but it can lead to premature wear. pistons, rings, cylinders, cams, lifters, crank, and all those pieces that rub together need to "mate." if they don't, the engine won't blow up but you may end up with a very tired engine at low mileage.

and just because you don't agree with what  others say, it doesn't make them ridiculous.

Mine had over 100 on it.  But it was a dealer trade to get to me so they had to drive it to my dealer.  But 70km is  nothing I would worry about.  I would be more worried about buying a car from a manufacturer where it could possibly be damaged in anyway from driving it 70km.  Needless to say these units do not even start to get close to full boost until they have certain amount of miles/kms on them.  In miles it was not until after 500 miles than mine saw over 10psi when at WOT.  After that it would get to around 12-14 psi and then after 1000 over 15psi to what it is at now which under the proper conditions will hit 18-19psi.  So under 500 miles it barely would hit half of the boost it was designed and tuned to hit.  So I doubt anyone could cause any lasting damage to it in the first 50 miles.  I wouldn't worry about it.

18 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

Mine had over 100 on it.  But it was a dealer trade to get to me so they had to drive it to my dealer.  But 70km is  nothing I would worry about.  I would be more worried about buying a car from a manufacturer where it could possibly be damaged in anyway from driving it 70km.  Needless to say these units do not even start to get close to full boost until they have certain amount of miles/kms on them.  In miles it was not until after 500 miles than mine saw over 10psi when at WOT.  After that it would get to around 12-14 psi and then after 1000 over 15psi to what it is at now which under the proper conditions will hit 18-19psi.  So under 500 miles it barely would hit half of the boost it was designed and tuned to hit.  So I doubt anyone could cause any lasting damage to it in the first 50 miles.  I wouldn't worry about it.

wow, i had no idea that the engine controller was that smart. so i guess the take away is that if you take an ST for a test drive, don't be surprised that it's slow? :)

Thanks all for the replies and advice! The comment on the boost control does make me more comfortable iamie1073. This car is actually also a dealer trade, but the distance between the dealerships is only 25 - 30 km, so it doesn't account for it all. Either way I'm not going to sweat it.

Good thought though ben, on the flip side I guess that also means if you were happy in the performance on a test drive, you'll likely only be happier down the road!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ben senise said:

wow, i had no idea that the engine controller was that smart. so i guess the take away is that if you take an ST for a test drive, don't be surprised that it's slow? :)

They also most likely  come with only 87 octane gas in them.  And there is a noticeable difference with both boost and the butt dyno once you put 93 in. But the fun part is they get quicker and more fun the more miles you put on them.  I would not call it slow though, it feels quicker and is quicker than my FoST was tuned and hitting 23psi. 

15 hours ago, Orbie said:

Thanks all for the replies and advice! The comment on the boost control does make me more comfortable iamie1073. This car is actually also a dealer trade, but the distance between the dealerships is only 25 - 30 km, so it doesn't account for it all. Either way I'm not going to sweat it.

Good thought though ben, on the flip side I guess that also means if you were happy in the performance on a test drive, you'll likely only be happier down the road!

They do get better once you fill them up with 93 octane and get some KM's under her belt.  They still have more room to go as well.  You will see the boost gauge bounce off the 19-20 for a split second before it drops to where the ECM wants it quite frequently.  So I assume with an even mild tune it could hit 20 all day long and be fine.  The ST supplement says max boost stock is 19-21 under the right atmospheric conditions, the FoST supplement said this as well.  I can tell you I have had boost hold steady at what should be 18psi when at WOT and the outside temps are above say 65 degrees F.  These engines are Torque target controlled so once they hit the target the ECM pulls boost to all that is needed so when temps are hotter more boost is needed.  And in mid winter I would only hit 15-16 in the same areas I drive.  Anyway enjoy the new ride. 

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

You also have to consider that there are several vehicles taken off of the assembly line every day that go for a long drive on the road (referred to as the 20 miles drive) or are sometimes driven by Ford management. Ford management is allowed to take cars off the assembly line to drive home and back to the plant the next day (must live within I believe 30 miles of the factory). And in turn they have to write up a report for any defects or issues they find. It's another layer of QC, which I believe is a good thing. Frankly I wouldn't worry about mileage until you get into several hundred miles. You don't know how many test drives these things go on, and I think they can still be sold new so long as there are less than 5000 miles on the odo.

I found this out back in Jan, when I was looking for a new ST. Found one, almost bought it (was not the colour I really wanted, but it was nice). Then noticed it had 4500+ miles on it. 

Still new. I laughed when the dealer told me, "Its still new till 5000 miles". LOL