Mustang SUV

Xtra

On 10/23/2019 at 8:19 PM, Xtra said:

Testing the MustangSUV test mule in winter conditions. Although Ford has the car in wraps this is first video of the car driving I have found.

What a moronic commercial that was.  "Who says EV can't drive on snow?"  Uhh- nobody?

I thought they were going to address how sub-zero weather kicks the crap out of a battery, but they have solved that.  

Nope, we'll just ignore that elephant in the room and show that we can rotate tires in a circular manner just like a gas vehicle.  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, handfiler said:

Neither did Porsche owners when the Cayenne was released. Without it the brand wouldn't exist today.

Yeah but "Cayenne" was a new name for a new vehicle… but why use the name "Mustang" and apply it to a SUV instead of using a new name?… I don't think is "respectful" towards classic Mustang owners… :huh:

Claude.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2FAST4U said:

Yeah but "Cayenne" was a new name for a new vehicle… but why use the name "Mustang" and apply it to a SUV instead of using a new name?… I don't think is "respectful" towards classic Mustang owners… :huh:

You’re missing the point.  Before Cayenne the name Porsche was synonymous with 2 door sports cars.   They expanded to utilities and later the 4 door Panamera and it didn’t do a damn thing to tarnish the 911.   

Mach-E has the performance to make it worthy of the mustang brand name.  Purists just need to get over it.

I've owned Mustangs for 39 years and still do. My initial thought on the Mach-E was WTF Ford. I've since settled down and now I'm looking forward to taking one for a test drive when the opportunity presents itself.

When I bought the Nautilus I had the thought that it could be the last IC powered vehicle that I buy new. Maybe I'll end up with 2 Mustangs in the garage one day, IC and EV and both ridiculously fast. ?

15 hours ago, akirby said:

You’re missing the point.  Before Cayenne the name Porsche was synonymous with 2 door sports cars.   They expanded to utilities and later the 4 door Panamera and it didn’t do a damn thing to tarnish the 911.   

Mach-E has the performance to make it worthy of the mustang brand name.  Purists just need to get over it.

No no "akirby"… you are missing my point… When Porsche came out with the Cayenne and later the Panamera, they were new cars and gave them new names… They didn't call them "4-door Carrera" or "4 door Boxster" or anything like that. They used new names for new vehicles. This is what I mean… Why use the "Mustang" name on a SUV?… Couldn't Ford use their imagination a little more and call it something else than "Mustang" ?? :shrug:

Claude.

1 hour ago, 2FAST4U said:

No no "akirby"… you are missing my point… When Porsche came out with the Cayenne and later the Panamera, they were new cars and gave them new names… They didn't call them "4-door Carrera" or "4 door Boxster" or anything like that. They used new names for new vehicles. This is what I mean… Why use the "Mustang" name on a SUV?… Couldn't Ford use their imagination a little more and call it something else than "Mustang" ?? :shrug:

Claude.

I understand the point but Porsche and 911 were pretty much one and the same.

They’re turning mustang into a sub brand with multiple vehicles.  And it does get its own name - Mach-E.  Just like you have the GT350, GT500 and upcoming hybrid mustang.  It’s a way to emphasize the performance aspect of the Mach-e with some familiar styling and brand awareness.  This thing will outperform most mustangs and it has mustang styling.  They’re not changing the name or getting rid of the regular mustang coupe so I think all the angst is overblown.

• Like 1

I like the look. Not sure if it is large enough for me though. I'm not happy with performance either. I was hoping for a larger battery option for the GT and more power. It is priced competitively with the Model Y but its a hard sell for someone who isn't dead set on dropping ICE. Maybe Lincoln will get to use the platform and make something a bit more appealing. Or the next year version will have improved performance. 

Edited by Fingernip

2 hours ago, Fingernip said:

I like the look. Not sure if it is large enough for me though. I'm not happy with performance either. I was hoping for a larger battery option for the GT and more power. It is priced competitively with the Model Y but its a hard sell for someone who isn't dead set on dropping ICE. Maybe Lincoln will get to use the platform and make something a bit more appealing. Or the next year version will have improved performance. 

mid 3 second 0-60 is too slow?!?!

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

mid 3 second 0-60 is too slow?!?!

That is the 60K plus model. Even with tax savings its still in SQ5 and GLC43 territory. It might be faster to 60 but ill bet it would get run down. and you have to deal with reduced mileage to get the performance with AWD.  I was hoping to see all models sub 5 seconds and a GT around Tesla performance per price. Looks like the edge ST will be faster than the non GTs. 

Edited by Fingernip

1 hour ago, Fingernip said:

That is the 60K plus model. Even with tax savings its still in SQ5 and GLC43 territory. It might be faster to 60 but ill bet it would get run down. and you have to deal with reduced mileage to get the performance with AWD.  I was hoping to see all models sub 5 seconds and a GT around Tesla performance per price. Looks like the edge ST will be faster than the non GTs. 

It's a tradeoff with cost.   Unlike Tesla, Ford actually has to make a profit to stay in business.   I saw a comparison chart where it matches the Model Y almost exactly in both price, range and performance.

2 minutes ago, akirby said:

It's a tradeoff with cost.   Unlike Tesla, Ford actually has to make a profit to stay in business.   I saw a comparison chart where it matches the Model Y almost exactly in both price, range and performance.

Yeah I was looking at that also. The Tesla wins in the performance category for range and base category for performance and range. Per ford the base 2wd is 0-60 in mid 6 sec with range of 230 miles. Tesla removed the non long range from the configuration and the lowest 2wd model is now 280 miles and 5.5 to 60. Ford has a more affordable option when considering the tax break especially but performance wise its no better than a chevy bolt. 

Virtually identical to Model Y except the Mach E will be $6500 cheaper thanks to the full tax credit and 230 vs. 280 range on the top model.   Same acceleration.   The GT might handle better since they're supposed to be using the mustang's magnetic suspension and Ford Performance tuning.

https://electrek.co/2019/11/15/tesla-model-y-vs-ford-mustang-mach-e-specs-comparison/

Just now, akirby said:

Virtually identical to Model Y except the Mach E will be $6500 cheaper thanks to the full tax credit and 230 vs. 280 range on the top model.   Same acceleration.   The GT might handle better since they're supposed to be using the mustang's magnetic suspension and Ford Performance tuning.

https://electrek.co/2019/11/15/tesla-model-y-vs-ford-mustang-mach-e-specs-comparison/

Their comparison is incorrect. Likely never updated with the official release values. 

The Mach-E select is 

2WD: 

• Target Range: 230 miles
  • Battery Capacity: 75.7 kW
  • Targeting 0-60 in the low six second range*
  • Peak Power: 190kW - 255 HP*

AWD: 

• Target Range: 210 miles
  • Battery Capacity: 75.7 kW
  • Targeting 0-60 in the mid five second range*
  • Peak Power: 190kW - 255 HP*

The Tesla standard range is gone from the official ordering guide but was 5.9s 0-60 and the same 230 mile range. They had no AWD version with the standard range battery unfortunately. The Standard range 2WD was also priced cheaper at $39,000. the only option to compare is the long range and currently you cant compare apples to apples. Premium 2WD on the Mach-E is $55,600 and gets an estimated 300 miles vs $48,000 for the same specs in the Model Y. 

• Like 1

After the dust has settled on the launch- I don't like it, at all. 

I've bought a Mustang Cobra new off a dealers's lot, and I now have kids to haul around, I like Fords, I'd like to have a dual motor Tesla but don't want to drop 100K on one, and I can afford to buy a brand new Mach E- so I *am* the target market, but there's no way I'd buy that. 

I feel that Ford foolishly stole the Mustang moniker for this coupe-ish EV thing.  This is not a Mustang.  Can't get a stick shift, you can't do a burnout, it makes no sounds that are satisfying, and worst of all, it's generally ugly.   I don't see any angle that is particularly good looking.   This a nothing but a new Ford EV crossover that they ripped the Mustang's heritage to promote.  

My predictions is it won't sell well at all, and it'll be gone in less than a decade.  This will not make Mustang owner more likely to buy one- probably 100% the other way and it'll keep people form buying one out of disdain.  I also predict that Ford and GM are going to find out the hard way that the lefty types that buy EVs/Teslas look down their nose at anyone who drives a Ford or a Chevy. 

Edited by IWRBB
  • Like 1