Mustang SUV

Xtra

6 minutes ago, IWRBB said:

After the dust has settled on the launch- I don't like it, at all. 

I've bought a Mustang Cobra new off a dealers's lot, and I now have kids to haul around, I like Fords, and I can afford it- so I *am* the target market, but there's no way I'd buy that. 

I feel that Ford foolishly stole the Mustang moniker for the coupe-ish EV thing.  This is not a Mustang.  You can;t do a burnout, it makes no sounds that are satisfying, and worst of all, it's generally ugly.  I don't see any angle that is particularly good looking. 

My predictions is it won't sell well at all, and it'll be gone in less than a decade.  Ford and GM are going to find out the hard way that the lefty types that buy EVs/Teslas look down their nose at anyone who drives a Ford or a Chevy.

Im right there with you man.  I wish they would have stuck with the name Mach-E, would have been PERFECT.  May not of sold well but would be a ford EV nonetheless.

32 minutes ago, IWRBB said:

I've bought a Mustang Cobra new off a dealers's lot, and I now have kids to haul around, I like Fords, I'd like to have a dual motor Tesla but don't want to drop 100K on one, and I can afford to buy a brand new Mach E- so I *am* the target market, but there's no way I'd buy that. 

I feel that Ford foolishly stole the Mustang moniker for this coupe-ish EV thing.  This is not a Mustang.  Can't get a stick shift, you can't do a burnout, it makes no sounds that are satisfying, and worst of all, it's generally ugly.   I don't see any angle that is particularly good looking.   This a nothing but a new Ford EV crossover that they ripped the Mustang's heritage to promote.  

My predictions is it won't sell well at all, and it'll be gone in less than a decade.  This will not make Mustang owner more likely to buy one- probably 100% the other way and it'll keep people form buying one out of disdain.  I also predict that Ford and GM are going to find out the hard way that the lefty types that buy EVs/Teslas look down their nose at anyone who drives a Ford or a Chevy. 

I think you're completely wrong.  This will appeal to EV buyers who don't particularly want a Tesla.  It's not designed for traditional Mustang buyers, but the general public knows the Mustang name and they know it stands for Performance and this thing will outperform a Mustang GT.   3.5 0-60 and it has a super low COG thanks to the batteries.   It's also super high tech - something that attracts buyers who would never consider a regular Mustang.

Did they have to call it a Mustang?  No.   Is it going to hurt sales?  Absolutely not.  One dealer reported 25 pre-order deposits overnight.   They're only making 45000 the first year and those will probably be spoken for within a week.

Also - this isn't the last vehicle to wear a Mustang badge.  It's going to be a sub brand with at least one more vehicle and stands for performance.    Same for Bronco - regular Bronco, Baby Bronco (Bronco Sport? and a Baby Bronco derived truck - all wearing the same Bronco sub brand.   It's called Brand Equity and as long as the vehicles match the brand image (performance for mustang) it should work.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Special_K said:

Im right there with you man.  I wish they would have stuck with the name Mach-E, would have been PERFECT.  May not of sold well but would be a ford EV nonetheless.

That's what most people will call it - Mach-E or Ford Mach-E.   And it doesn't say Mustang anywhere on the vehicle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IWRBB said:

I've bought a Mustang Cobra new off a dealers's lot, and I now have kids to haul around, I like Fords, I'd like to have a dual motor Tesla but don't want to drop 100K on one, and I can afford to buy a brand new Mach E- so I *am* the target market, but there's no way I'd buy that. 

I feel that Ford foolishly stole the Mustang moniker for this coupe-ish EV thing.  This is not a Mustang.  Can't get a stick shift, you can't do a burnout, it makes no sounds that are satisfying, and worst of all, it's generally ugly.   I don't see any angle that is particularly good looking.   This a nothing but a new Ford EV crossover that they ripped the Mustang's heritage to promote.  

My predictions is it won't sell well at all, and it'll be gone in less than a decade.  This will not make Mustang owner more likely to buy one- probably 100% the other way and it'll keep people form buying one out of disdain.  I also predict that Ford and GM are going to find out the hard way that the lefty types that buy EVs/Teslas look down their nose at anyone who drives a Ford or a Chevy. 

I'm pretty sure that it will appeal to lefties, righties  and to  those that don't give two figs about political ideology . By the way the new GT 500 doesn't come with a stick shift either.  My prediction is that it will sell like hot cakes.

• Like 1

We'll see in time.   I don't see it appealing to anyone simply via the Mustang name.  The problem is- the cheap ones aren't fast, and the fast ones aren't cool.  I think we'll see them majorly cutting production numbers within 2 years after a decent first year of sales, and it being completely gone within 5 years. 

My sales predictions:

Year 1:  50K

Year 2:  45K

Year 3:  20K

Year 4:  15K

Year 5:  15K

Let's hear your numbers for the first five years and we'll see how it shakes out.  2025 will be here before you know it.

Mustangs have averaged around 90K per year over the last 5 years for comparison.

Edited by IWRBB

56 minutes ago, IWRBB said:

We'll see in time.   I don't see it appealing to anyone simply via the Mustang name.  The problem is- the cheap ones aren't fast, and the fast ones aren't cool. 

All but the long range model including the "cheap one" are mid 5 seconds or faster with the GT around 3.5.   The 2005 Mustang GT was only 5.2.   It's PLENTY fast enough.

19 hours ago, IWRBB said:

We'll see in time.   I don't see it appealing to anyone simply via the Mustang name.  The problem is- the cheap ones aren't fast, and the fast ones aren't cool.  I think we'll see them majorly cutting production numbers within 2 years after a decent first year of sales, and it being completely gone within 5 years. 

My sales predictions:

Year 1:  50K

Year 2:  45K

Year 3:  20K

Year 4:  15K

Year 5:  15K

Let's hear your numbers for the first five years and we'll see how it shakes out.  2025 will be here before you know it.

Mustangs have averaged around 90K per year over the last 5 years for comparison.

You're missing the big picture.  This is just the first of a entire lineup of EVs from Ford.  5 years from now it will just be one of 4 or 5.  it will be the "sporty" one, but you'll have luxury ones, pickup truck EVs, family hauler EVs and so on.  So yes, the sales will tail off, but that's by design as it's complemented by other parts of the lineup.  Ford is using the Mustang name to appeal to non-Mustang people; the people who don't want a Mustang, but haven't considered an EV cool enough or mainstream enough to be worth purchasing.  I suspect that once Ford is able to build their EV brand, they will probably remove the Mustang name.  In fact my prediction is 5 years from now, the Mach-E name will be stronger than the Mustang name. 

Just looked once more to make sure I'm not crazy.  Nope.  It's just plain fugly and it won't sell. 

Personally, I don't believe that most people really want EVs.   I also don't believe that in 5 years Ford will be selling 5 different EVs in any quantities that move the needle, ie 100K plus units per year.   Maybe one, an EV F150, more than likely.   

We'll see.  

I'm not crazy about it at all just like I wasnt crazy about slapping the ST badge on the new Edges. I might have looked into one without the mustang symbol slapped all over it but for now I'll stick with my Sport.plus I have to make a 600 mile trip every year so I can't really be in the market for those anyway. 

Also ppl in this thread talking about lefty types looking down their noses at Ford, and im just sittin over here happily getting 14mpg. :3