2018 Edge Sport vs 2019 Edge ST

Eli

For day to day I use the 91 aggressive tune.  91 octane is pretty cheap at costco.  I've had my tune now for 2 years and haven't had any issues to date.

Cars that I have walked away from....keeping speeds under 0 to 80km/h

Jeep srt

charger srt

mustang gt

camaro ss

cbr600rr

Acura TL and TLX

Audi s3

Viper pickup

wrx sti

.....and many more.....just dont come to mind.

• 1 month later...

I vote ST for sure.. better headlights, better suspension and better brakes. They are pretty much equal in 0-60 performance but would be willing to bet a stock ST would walk a stock sport from a roll. Tunes came out slow for the sport when it was new also. Expect the same for the ST and within a few years you will see bigger power gains also. The handling alone for me is the biggest factor... i always freak people out taking crazy corners at speed with limited to no body roll. Oh the seats are really nice also, some people need time to get used to them and some never do. But nearly everyone who has sat in my car love them, especially on long trips. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 11:36 AM, Fingernip said:

I vote ST for sure.. better headlights, better suspension and better brakes. They are pretty much equal in 0-60 performance but would be willing to bet a stock ST would walk a stock sport from a roll. Tunes came out slow for the sport when it was new also. Expect the same for the ST and within a few years you will see bigger power gains also. The handling alone for me is the biggest factor... i always freak people out taking crazy corners at speed with limited to no body roll. Oh the seats are really nice also, some people need time to get used to them and some never do. But nearly everyone who has sat in my car love them, especially on long trips. 

We just bought a 2019 ST and we drove some 2018 Sports when we were looking.  I agree on the handling, the ST is noticeably better handling than the Sport, but the ride is not as nice either.  It's all a trade off.  I like the seats as well, my wife loves them.  They both seemed to accelerate about the same, we couldn't tell any difference.  

Wasn't too keen on the 15-18s having major issues with the rear lights leaking, and they are not cheap to replace.    

Do you guys know if the the Sports got water cooled PTUs like the ST has?  I was leary of the Ford FWD/AWD setup in the past due to all the issues with PTUs, but being water cooled makes a huge difference in the longevity of the lube.  I think they all have drain plugs now too, is that correct?  Need to get it up on ramps and crawl under this thing.

Since I'm asking- the brake upgrade package.  As far as I can tell it's a bigger rotor/ventilated backing plate/performance pads up front, and the red calipers all around (plus the summer tires).  Looks like I can get the rotors for $120 and the calipers for around $400.  Seems like a deal compared to what Ford wants for it.  Thinking I might buy the parts now while they are cheap and swap them over when I get the time.    

Edited by IWRBB

33 minutes ago, IWRBB said:

We just bought a 2019 ST and we drove some 2018 Sports when we were looking.  I agree on the handling, the ST is noticeably better handling than the Sport, but the ride is not as nice either.  It's all a trade off.  I like the seats as well, my wife loves them.  They both seemed to accelerate about the same, we couldn't tell any difference.  

Wasn't too keen on the 15-18s having major issues with the rear lights leaking, and they are not cheap to replace.    

Do you guys know if the the Sports got water cooled PTUs like the ST has?  I was leary of the Ford FWD/AWD setup in the past due to all the issues with PTUs, but being water cooled makes a huge difference in the longevity of the lube.  I think they all have drain plugs now too, is that correct?  Need to get it up on ramps and crawl under this thing.

Since I'm asking- the brake upgrade package.  As far as I can tell it's a bigger rotor/ventilated backing plate/performance pads up front, and the red calipers all around (plus the summer tires).  Looks like I can get the rotors for $120 and the calipers for around $400.  Seems like a deal compared to what Ford wants for it.  Thinking I might buy the parts now while they are cheap and swap them over when I get the time.    

The ST gets the first water cooled PTU. 

The sport has a smoother ride due to softer suspension. With 21" wheels you will notice more. The 20s will feel more the the 18 sport with 21s. 

The brake upgrade as the same size rotors and calipers. It may have a different backing plate for airflow and definitely has upgraded pads. IMO the only real benefit in the brake package is the brush-less cooling fan. Summer tires mean if you live anywhere with snow/ice you have to buy winter tires anyway. Plus you wont get a space tire. The brake upgrades can be done yourself for less. 

Did some more looking on the brakes- it looks like the parts total up to $1000.  Probably will just keep the standard setup and paint them black at the first brake job or tire rotation.  Keeping bright red calipers and brackets clean would be a bitch.