Yet Another Intake Thread

57 minutes ago, 037 said:

Yes, go fast enough and there is enough air under hood to move around and be ingested, but it's the first 60mpg where it will be absolutely disgusting. Stop the car and Temps sky rocket. Not really sure what the test accomplishes with no box at all, there is no design that works like that so why test? Also, not sure how accurate that sensor is just hanging out there. In my head the empty box scenario would provide better data considering how good the box is otherwise. Maybe even heat wrap the box to insulate from engine... 

This is testing flow or lb/min of air.  The vehicle was able to achieve the same boost pressure (23.2psi) with 22% less wastegate which directly correlates to less restriction.  Also, over all we only saw a 13 degree higher staring temp and 7 degree lower ending boost temp (post intercooler) which means the heat theory has been squashed.  Yes there is more heat in the beginning, but the amount of flow you gain from getting rid of the stock box far outweighs it. 

Also, no one has seen gains from it due to the tune auto adjusting for the same peaked boost desired, ours did the same.  But let me reiterate, the turbos are not trying as hard while gives the tuner more head room and lower final boost temps.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

While there may not be any power gains do you notice maybe gains in response?  While there not be more power produced I assume there could be better power delivery and maybe better times in regards to 0-60 or 1/4, and thus better on road for when you want to dust that family truckster. 

4 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

While there may not be any power gains do you notice maybe gains in response?  While there not be more power produced I assume there could be better power delivery and maybe better times in regards to 0-60 or 1/4, and thus better on road for when you want to dust that family truckster. 

There is power to be gained.  Please read the beginning of the thread and read closely about wastegate duty cycle.  Also, no testing done yet.  Still making  

2 hours ago, Xtra said:

Interesting I like it. Are you going to remove a light in front or cut a hole to access outside air? Or is that the intake just as it is? It is a very direct route how you have it and that's good.

Good question extra,  theres a small punch out below the "fog" light that we removes that drafts a good bit of cool air.  Enough so that just driving around it keeps the bottom of the light and ecu cool to the touch.  So we are kinda relying on that.  

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Xtra said:

Even better yet having two sources to feed the beast. It should work better than stock even if only a small amount of air comes in from the fog punch out. You have eliminated the snorkel and that alone should be of value. 

Not eliminated but more direct and at a greater volume...

• Like 2

Snmjim and Special_K with all the companies and engineers out there one would think that they would of figured out a good High Performance intake for the G2 Edge Sport by now.... But Nooo.  It took you and your son to come up with the  answer :hat_tip:. I am so impressed with your design, build and skill set. So impessed that I decided to let the cat out of the bag and show what I built and have been running for the past few months.

In mho it would complement what you have accomplished and help create an entire system. 

IMG_1959 copy.jpg

IMG_1993 copy.jpg

IMG_2011copy.JPG

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Xtra said:

Snmjim and Special_K with all the companies and engineers out there one would think that they would of figured out a good High Performance intake for the G2 Edge Sport by now.... But Nooo.  It took you and your son to come up with the  answer :hat_tip:. I am so impressed with your design, build and skill set. So impessed that I decided to let the cat out of the bag and show what I built and have been running for the past few months.

In mho it would complement what you have accomplished and help create an entire system. 

IMG_1959 copy.jpg

IMG_1993 copy.jpg

IMG_2011copy.JPG

Totally agree and speaking of skill set Brother...there's one we'd have a hard time with, CONGRATS!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Xtra said:

Looking good. Without a doubt this is an improvement over stock. How about a photo of the fog punch out . Can you see it  from the front of the car? 

There ya go bud!  It's enough to keep fresh air coming in at speed ....we hope.

20190625_182628.jpg

• Like 3

I assume they did not change under hood much if any on the ST and this would probably fit.  The ST fogs have vents next top them that on a normal model just feed into the wheel well but on the ones with the brake package they have ducted vents I believe for brake cooling.  On first glance it looks like some sort of duct or guide could be fashioned to fee upward to behind the headlights, kind of like that opening on the Sport model.  The hole for the Sport could be prettied up with a functional scoop to put behind it and send air upward and on the ST basically the same thing but not noticeable since it is already disguised from the factory, a nice opening there right beside the Fog and hidden from view that just needs some guidance upward.  Just some plastic scoops behind the scenes to direct air and help get more cool air in.  I would be all for jumping on getting colder and better flowing intake air on my ST since stock it sucks, literally, hot air in.  My intake air temps alone are 20+ degrees over ambient when in motion. 

• Like 2

On 7/3/2019 at 8:36 PM, jamie1073 said:

I assume they did not change under hood much if any on the ST and this would probably fit.  The ST fogs have vents next top them that on a normal model just feed into the wheel well but on the ones with the brake package they have ducted vents I believe for brake cooling.  On first glance it looks like some sort of duct or guide could be fashioned to fee upward to behind the headlights, kind of like that opening on the Sport model.  The hole for the Sport could be prettied up with a functional scoop to put behind it and send air upward and on the ST basically the same thing but not noticeable since it is already disguised from the factory, a nice opening there right beside the Fog and hidden from view that just needs some guidance upward.  Just some plastic scoops behind the scenes to direct air and help get more cool air in.  I would be all for jumping on getting colder and better flowing intake air on my ST since stock it sucks, literally, hot air in.  My intake air temps alone are 20+ degrees over ambient when in motion. 

im assuming your right also, what concerns me is the back of the head light looks VERY different.  And already ahead of ya on the duct ;-).  Pictures being posted momentarily.

• Like 2

Okay folks, intake is done and i am going into long term testing now.  However, initial results are EXTREMELY promising. 

After 15 min warm-up drive , intake temps at 15+mph are between ambient and +3 degrees.  Idling for 5 min with A/C on in 92 degree ambient led to an intake temp of 130, but as soon as you move it cools right back down.  Boost temps also reflect the same temp decrease and stay around 10 above ambient above 15 mph.  

Now the Fun Numbers, each log was done on the same day about 1 hour apart and from 0-130 MPH on the same road in mexico.  

Stock airbox:

Ambient: 77 degrees 

Start pull at: 

Intake temp: 102 degrees

Boost:111 degrees

End pull at: 

Intake temp:100 degrees

Boost temp:149 degrees

Max boost: 21.2

Flow: 52.8 lbs

Wastegate duty: .116

Custom airbox (No bumper Snorkel):

Ambient: 88  degrees

Start pull at: 

intake temp: 93  degrees

Boost:105  degrees

End pull at: 

Intake temp:95 degrees

Boost temp:151 degrees

Max boost: 20.9

Flow: 57.1 lbs

Wastegate duty: .215

Gotta figure out why flow jumped so drastically but the change in wastegate duty shows the increase in flow.  So overall there is a benefit!  Now off to the patent office ? 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

True cold air intakes do work and are highly effective at highway speeds. Every 10*F temperature drop it is worth a 1% power gain. For example if the air temp is 170*F under the hood and ambient air is 70*F then there is a 100*F difference, thats a 10% power gain. On a 325HP ST that equates to a 32.5HP.  On snmjims car thats more like 50HP. This assumes a correct air fuel mix and little to no air flow resistance. It is  also important to have the air move into a sealed air box before it goes into the engine. The box acts as a manifold and provides smooth air to the engine. The stock Edge has what I call a restrictive warm air intake so gains will be less than if it was drawing air from only under the hood. But substantial gains can still be made with the addition of a true CAI like snmjim has made here. This is such an elegant design that it should be made available commercially. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/14/2019 at 10:58 AM, THOR_ST said:

Okay new member here, I just heard from aFe Power in Southern California and they have one ready to go, but need to test it. Anyone on the form live in Southern Cali, and have an Edge ST?

What happened to the Afe guys saying they would make one?  Nobody has followed up on that yet?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tyyrael said:

What happened to the Afe guys saying they would make one?  Nobody has followed up on that yet?

Yeah, 

Sorry for kinda dropping the ball here however, we lost site of this one since AFE never responded to our messages and we had such great success with our custom prototype.

However, we propose that since Xtra is the closest to there location that he Champions this one across the finish line.

Xtra, U up 2 the call of duty?

• Thanks 1