Caliper Covers - Color Opinions Wanted!

SweetAnnie

Red with Black and here is my 2 cents which is worthless I know but it is my 2 cents:   Caliper Covers are good for accent for what is already dark inside the rim.  Black tires, black rims (you have silver black so that helps but you want something that makes them stand out or at least IMO you do.  Having them painted with performance blue would be the most tricked out for sure and they would look good no doubt BUT the red would make it really pop.  The red ST letters front and back although small :( looks good on the car it is just an accent color so the red calipers would do the same thing.  I know Porsche uses yellow, blue, red, black,  but when I see the red to me is really stands out.  I have the same color car and ordered the red last week with white letters but was thinking about silver or black but went with white.  The same day they arrive I will post up pictures because I will have them on within 2 hours :)  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vmaxbaby said:

I have the same color car and ordered the red last week with white letters but was thinking about silver or black but went with white.

did you get them from calipercovers.com ???  If so, I may just wait until you get yours before ordering mine, lol

• Like 1

I really, really, really wanted the red on color-matched blue  - but once I designed them online, I don't think I really care for it, sigh.  Heavily leaning towards the black on red... but I'm also a 45 year old woman, and I don't want people shaking their heads and mumbling wtf, haha 

Edited by SweetAnnie
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, SweetAnnie said:

I really, really, really wanted the red on color-matched blue  - but once I designed them online, I don't think I really care for it, sigh.  Heavily leaning towards the black on red... but I'm also a 45 year old woman, and I don't want people shaking their heads and mumbling wtf, haha 

You are at the perfect time in your life to do what you want.  For those that would say wtf, they are just jealous.  

Go for it

Edited by Sage
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, SweetAnnie said:

Your car! Your car note! Do you! When you see peeps shaking their heads and mumbling wtf....its because they don't have one!

I like the blue with the red or blue with the black, it's very subtle.  I agree with VMAX the red will make them POP!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dsmtweaker said:

Wouldn’t it be cheaper to simply paint them?

I personally am not a fan of putting a cover over a hot part such as the calipers. Just my 2cents, but for me these would fall in the same category as putting a large spoiler on a Honda Civic.  But to each their own.

1- would it be cheaper, yes. But unless you do a perfect job painting them (meaning the prep most of all) the paint will flake off in time.

2- It's been proven that caliper covers (aluminum not plastic), help dissipate the heat.

3- easy on, easy off. If you get tired of them for what ever reason you can take them off and go back to the factory look

1 hour ago, edge-STinger said:

1- would it be cheaper, yes. But unless you do a perfect job painting them (meaning the prep most of all) the paint will flake off in time.

2- It's been proven that caliper covers (aluminum not plastic), help dissipate the heat.

3- easy on, easy off. If you get tired of them for what ever reason you can take them off and go back to the factory look

Proven!?  Please don’t recirculate bad information. 

And what source; other than the manufacturer has “proven” this in scientific testing?

I can tell you from an engineer standpoint it’s not true.  This will add heat 100% of the time on 100% of applications.

first, it’s not like a standard aluminum heat sink for electronics, you aren’t  going to get the tower effect.  For that you would need a dedicated thermal compound between the caliper and cover.  You would also need constant airflow(so no stop lights) So heat transfer would be minimal and even less with any coating/paint.  Plus you would build up more heat, and create a larger surface that needs to be cooled.

2nd, your reducing airflow to the caliper.

and 3rd, calipers can be mounted in multiple configuration, shapes, and sizes.  Meaning what might cool one might not cool another.  So making a blanket statement would be False.

so no, these can not dissipate heat, they can only add it.  Anyone that tells you otherwise needs a basic physics class.

58 minutes ago, Dsmtweaker said:

And what source; other than the manufacturer has “proven” this in scientific testing?

I can tell you from an engineer standpoint it’s not true.  This will add heat 100% of the time on 100% of applications.

first, it’s not like a standard aluminum heat sink for electronics, you aren’t  going to get the tower effect.  For that you would need a dedicated thermal compound between the caliper and cover.  You would also need constant airflow(so no stop lights) So heat transfer would be minimal and even less with any coating/paint.  Plus you would build up more heat, and create a larger surface that needs to be cooled.

and 3rd, calipers can be mounted in multiple configuration, shapes, and sizes.  Meaning what might cool one might not cool another.  So making a blanket statement would be False.

so no, these can not dissipate heat, they can only add it.  Anyone that tells you otherwise needs a basic physics class.

You also shouldn't claim 100% of applications 100% of the time. To act as a heatsink it only needs to be conductive and add mass. It would eventually heat-soak and fail to provide benefit. Being aluminum though means its going to have much better thermal conductivity than the base material and much better heat dissipation. As long as there is no air gap between to act as insulation I would imagine it would have some cooling benefit in at least some scenarios. 

Well I can tell you from personal experience.... Proven!!

I installed a set of these on my 2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack, installed one on the front and one one the rear did 6 laps at my local track then checked and compared to the other side with a digital temperature reader, found a drop of 32 degrees on the front and 19 degrees at the rear.

Yes I checked directly on the caliper itself and not on the cover.

I will agree that it will fluctuate from one vehicle to another, but again to the research I did and talking to other people that use them at my track we all came to the same conclusion.

I'm not here to argue or recirculate bad information as you so elegantly put it, I'm simply sharing my own experience and others I associate with on a daily basis.

Thanks for the basic physics class............

Edited by edge-STinger

15 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

You also shouldn't claim 100% of applications 100% of the time. To act as a heatsink it only needs to be conductive and add mass. It would eventually heat-soak and fail to provide benefit. Being aluminum though means its going to have much better thermal conductivity than the base material and much better heat dissipation. As long as there is no air gap between to act as insulation I would imagine it would have some cooling benefit in at least some scenarios. 

Thats if it was bare aluminum.  But any sort of coating, such as paint.  Would dramatically(95%+) reduce heat transfer.    

That additional mass also requires additional cooling.  Once reaching a high temperature it would then act as an insulator for the caliper, keeping it hot.

Just now, Dsmtweaker said:

Thats if it was bare aluminum.  But any sort of coating, such as paint.  Would dramatically(95%+) reduce heat transfer.    

That additional mass also requires additional cooling.  Once reaching a high temperature it would then act as an insulator for the caliper, keeping it hot.

I disagree on the amount it will impact cooling performance. Without knowing exactly what coating or the thickness it is not possible to claim it would become ineffective as a heat-sink. Additional mass does not require additional cooling unless its introducing additional heat or decreased conductivity. It will absorb heat from a mating object until temperatures balance, but because of its better dissipation rate into atmosphere it will continually draw heat.  I work with various materials and many processes that use this same basic concept daily. Often including coatings and platings. 

7 minutes ago, edge-STinger said:

Well I can tell you from personal experience.... Proven!!

I installed a set of these on my 2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack, installed one on the front and one one the rear did 6 laps at my local track then checked and compared to the other side with a digital temperature reader, found a drop of 32 degrees on the front and 19 degrees at the rear.

Yes I checked directly on the caliper itself and not on the cover.

I will agree that it will fluctuate from one vehicle to another, but again to the research I did and talking to other people that use them at my track we all came to the same conclusion.

I'm not here to argue or recirculate bad information as you so elegantly put it, I'm simply sharing my own experience and others I associate with on a daily basis.

Thanks for the basic physics class............

Not trying to argue either.  I just don’t like seeing misleading information posted.

if those are the results you personally got than either the testing method was flawed, or testing equipment was.  But I’m sorry your calipers were not colder after your runs.

Not a personal attack, not trying to be a dick.  But these covers can’t change the rules of physics.  

1 minute ago, Fingernip said:

I disagree on the amount it will impact cooling performance. Without knowing exactly what coating or the thickness it is not possible to claim it would become ineffective as a heat-sink. Additional mass does not require additional cooling unless its introducing additional heat or decreased conductivity. It will absorb heat from a mating object until temperatures balance, but because of its better dissipation rate into atmosphere it will continually draw heat.  I work with various materials and many processes that use this same basic concept daily. Often including coatings and platings. 

95% would be a minimum base.  Meaning any material or thickness would result in that minimum.  Material, thickness, etc. would come into play after the initial minimum base.  Yes it does take more cooling, otherwise your mass balance is going to be much higher(higher temps)  

i also work specifically with cooling and cooling materials(in the electronics field). I know all about metals, cooling properties, materials, etc. 

These would resault in great great diminishing returns, and then into negative returns.

if these somehow maintained these magic cooling properties then you would see them on race cars, circuit boards, and host of other items.

10 minutes ago, Dsmtweaker said:

Not trying to argue either.  I just don’t like seeing misleading information posted.

if those are the results you personally got than either the testing method was flawed, or testing equipment was.  But I’m sorry your calipers were not colder after your runs.

Not a personal attack, not trying to be a dick.  But these covers can’t change the rules of physics.  

Then I guess the other 6 people that did the same test on there own vehicles at my track using there own equipment must be flawed as well...... 

We can agree to disagree, but I've seen it with my own 2 eyes, I've raced my Challenger on the track countless amount of times with minimal improved brake fade compared to not having them.

That's more than good enough for me.

Edited by edge-STinger

1 minute ago, Dsmtweaker said:

95% would be a minimum base.  Meaning any material or thickness would result in that minimum.  Material, thickness, etc. would come into play after the initial minimum base.  Yes it does take more cooling, otherwise your mass balance is going to be much higher(higher temps)  

i also work specifically with cooling and cooling materials(in the electronics field). I know all about metals, cooling properties, materials, etc. 

These would resault in great great diminishing returns, and then into negative returns.

if these somehow maintained these magic cooling properties then you would see them on race cars, circuit boards, and host of other items.

Your mass balance will not become higher unless it us unable to dissipate the heat. 2 similar materials once mated will not cause an increase in temp. Initially it will decrease until heat-soak and thermal dissipation will likely improve due to increased surface area. now you introduce a more conductive material and it further improves this effect. We apply this same logic in aerospace overhaul and repair. 

You do in fact see this exact same logic used in various objects. Aluminum cores on cooking pans/pots, Fin-less heat-sinks used on heat spreaders on processors. Adding fins adds efficiency and increases surface area while decreasing material weight. 

I put a set on my dads Nissan Altima back in 2013 when he got it and they still look like new.  Now he doesn't track his car of course but for just normal operation that have been great.  Now do they look as good as my Brembo's on my Shelby NO... would powder coating be better and last longer YES.. but I painted calipers on a 03 Cobra and they looked great for about 6 months than the bright red started to fade (because of heat I am sure) so always had to touch them up.  Now there is caliper wrap that I have seen guys do on the GTR forum (brother in-law has a GTR) and that looks good and so far has held up very well and been on for 2 years.  Now  I won't be doing track days with the Edge ST it is my daily driver but they will be fine for normal use and they are of good quality so they don't look bad IMO but others may disagree.    Yes they do cost $ 300.00 but I spent 39K on the Edge ST, 45K on the GT500 and at least another 10K in mods on the Shelby since I have owned it and don't ask how much I blew on the my other mustangs :(   so $ 300.00 on the edge isn't a big deal to me. 

wheel.jpg

Edited by vmaxbaby

7 hours ago, Fingernip said:

Your mass balance will not become higher unless it us unable to dissipate the heat. 2 similar materials once mated will not cause an increase in temp. Initially it will decrease until heat-soak and thermal dissipation will likely improve due to increased surface area. now you introduce a more conductive material and it further improves this effect. We apply this same logic in aerospace overhaul and repair. 

You do in fact see this exact same logic used in various objects. Aluminum cores on cooking pans/pots, Fin-less heat-sinks used on heat spreaders on processors. Adding fins adds efficiency and increases surface area while decreasing material weight. 

But putting to metals on top of each other does not bond them, there has to be a thermal compound.  I can stick an aluminum heat sink on a processor by itself, and the exact same heat sink on a with thermal past.  One will stay cool, on will fry, the bonding is the difference.

also, adding mass does increase balance temperature, because it increases peak heat soak temp.  You have more mass that can reach a higher temperature, but mass doesn’t creat more cooling surface.

This is what we use when creating heat sinks, or inter coolers, or radiators.  Mass doesn’t create the difference, design does.  A 10 ft by 10ft solid aluminum intercooler will run hotter then a 1ft by 1ft with proper fin design.  Even though it has 90 more sq feet of surface.  If these covers had some fun design, and a thermal compound then I could see it. 

But either way, this conversation is trying place theories on already proven sciences.   It’s the same as saying waxing a car will make it faster because of less resistance....

But putting to metals on top of each other does not bond them, there has to be a thermal compound.  I can stick an aluminum heat sink on a processor by itself, and the exact same heat sink on a with thermal past.  One will stay cool, on will fry, the bonding is the difference.

also, adding mass does increase balance temperature, because it increases peak heat soak temp.  You have more mass that can reach a higher temperature, but mass doesn’t creat more cooling surface.

This is what we use when creating heat sinks, or inter coolers, or radiators.  Mass doesn’t create the difference, design does.  A 10 ft by 10ft solid aluminum intercooler will run hotter then a 1ft by 1ft with proper fin design.  Even though it has 90 more sq feet of surface.  If these covers had some fun design, and a thermal compound then I could see it. 

But either way, this conversation is trying place theories on already proven sciences.   It’s the same as saying waxing a car will make it faster because of less resistance....

Adding mass inevitably adds surface area. It would also be assumed that anyone expecting conductivity would use a thermal paste or a conductive non curing compound during install. If you take a few minutes to check the internet for testing of aluminum caliper covers you will see why there is a debate here.

your 10x10’ cooling conductor vs a finned heatsink scenario is missing the control. The same heat source with no heatsink at all will remain hotter than both. 

Edited by Fingernip

On 6/14/2019 at 4:24 PM, vmaxbaby said:

would powder coating be better and last longer YES.. but I painted calipers on a 03 Cobra and they looked great for about 6 months than the bright red started to fade (because of heat I am sure) so always had to touch them up.

Now  I won't be doing track days with the Edge ST it is my daily driver but they will be fine for normal use and they are of good quality so they don't look bad IMO but others may disagree.    Yes they do cost $ 300.00 but I spent 39K on the Edge ST, 45K on the GT500 and at least another 10K in mods on the Shelby since I have owned it and don't ask how much I blew on the my other mustangs :(   so $ 300.00 on the edge isn't a big deal to me. 

These two statements are EXACTLY how I feel!  I talked to my detail guy and he would be more than happy to paint them, but he flat out said it's not going to last - he was the one who suggested the covers to me. 

The ST is my daily driver, if I wanted to go to the track, I'd be taking my 03 Cobra Terminator ;)