Livernois ST Tune

Denny Gaughan

15 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

I would doubt that is the reason for the power difference. I don't think the system is operating at the threshold where exhaust flow is the largest factor in power produced. Livernoise is easily increasing power without exhaust mods  but likely at the expense of Fords target fuel economy numbers, emissions or safety factor for reliability. Sure a more free flowing exhaust would make the turbo more efficient but eliminating that 1 bend would be the hardest and likely the last place to start. At stock boost levels and a margin beyond the system breathes just fine. 

What is your point?  I just said that the truck is designed to do different things than the SUV and even agreed with you on why.   I was commenting on the DP's being different in the F-150 because there is literally more room for them to make them different so they would flow better to give more torque down low.  Where it is needed for towing.  It would also give it a flatter torque curve.  

And this whole thread is about tuning anyway and obviously there are gains from a better DP because otherwise why would people want them.  And with a tune you are increasing boost or holding it longer or what ever they are doing to attain those numbers.  Sure the exhaust may be fine but the DP's would be a bottleneck and can be improved upon.  The intake is a bottleneck and can be improved upon as well, someone posted another thread about that already.  The FMIC on it sucks, charge air temps raise at least 70 degrees on a good pull and do not go back down until you stop flooring it.  That is a loss of power right there as the timing is adjusted to compensate for it and more fuel is used to cool the chambers.  The F-150 as a larger FMIC just for this reason for towing I assume.  You could be losing a good 50hp at least with those temps up that much higher.  So sure you can get more power with stock parts but with others you could get more and lose less when things heat up.  

And now I lost my point going off on a tangent.  Anyway back to tuning.  I am waiting patiently for word back from Livernois on whatever is next.  If anyone has their tunes did your tuning device recognize your vehicle as a supported vehicle and pull the stock tune off to send to them right off the bat or did you have to fill the form out and send it in and wait for some sort of update to the tuner before you could get your stock tune to them and then get the tunes you want?  I am used to sending my VIN to the tuner in the FoST world and my mods and they send you a tune file to install.  Then revisions if you want them based on log files.  So spending money on the tuner and getting it and almost a full say later without even a response from them as to if they even got my email is flustering.  I mean if I need to do something else or update the unit again I would have liked to know.  Lol.  

Edited by jamie1073

36 minutes ago, vmaxbaby said:

Looking forward to some numbers jamie.  I did the video for borla so you are up for a video of before and after on the tuning.  :)

I will try and see if I can take a video of the Boost/RPM/Speedo on a 0-60 run before and after on the same road.  You will definitely get the numbers I get from the same app I used.  Heck stock it is faster than I could get with my FoST with a tune, then again that involved me shifting to, lol.  

• Like 1

On the first run of the 93 perf tune right after install I got 5.54 just mashing the gas in normal mode with trac off.  I tried Sport trans mode just mashing and got 5.91, not sure what that was about.  Back to normal trans and brake boosting I got 5.499. This was at 83 degrees in an otherwise stock ST right after tuning and no driving around.  Brake boosting spun the tires and I probably could have held longer to build boost but was not expecting it.  Did not try Sport trans mode for that run and will do some other time.  I got 5.81 in all modes with the stock tune and in mid 60's degree weather.  I need to drive it more of course to see how it learns and goes.  Just driving long enough to slow back down to zero between runs.  I was impressed and shocked it built boost braking and flooring it, it did not do this stock.  Boost comes on in 1st gear much sooner than the stock tune which is nice.  Anyhow pleased with it.  

I will say I really am liking this tune.  The throttle response in normal mode is exactly what I thought it should have been from the factory.  The shifting is so much better as well.  Of course the boost coming on earlier is just awesome, 1st and 2nd gear are no longer limited like the stock tune.  Everything just responds better.  The manually shifting is still slow from input to actual shift but I assume that is the nature of the beast since it is not a DSG. 

3 hours ago, AMulally said:

What tune are you using - the 93 with factory shifts ?

I am using the Livernois 93 Performance tune.  The shifts are far from the stock ones with the TSB applied.  Seem a little harder, not bad but more engaging feeling. 

Here are two videos, they suck but show the difference between stock and 93 tune on the same road. 

• Like 2

With my Dragy so far the best I got 0-60 on a stock ST with Livernois 93 tune and in Sport mode with Advance Trac off and a slight .77 degree downgrade is 5.19 seconds.  1/4 mile at 13.66s at 99.06mph.  Going the other way I got 5.38 to 60 and 13.77 at 98.19, that was my first try in Sport mode.  Normal trans first try was 5.4 to 60 and 13.81 at 98.53.  The first one was at 60 degrees and the quicker ones were at 72 degrees.  Not a track by the way, just a mostly deserted back road that is straight.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

With my Dragy so far the best I got 0-60 on a stock ST with Livernois 93 tune and in Sport mode with Advance Trac off and a slight .77 degree downgrade is 5.19 seconds.  1/4 mile at 13.66s at 99.06mph.  Going the other way I got 5.38 to 60 and 13.77 at 98.19, that was my first try in Sport mode.  Normal trans first try was 5.4 to 60 and 13.81 at 98.53.  The first one was at 60 degrees and the quicker ones were at 72 degrees.  Not a track by the way, just a mostly deserted back road that is straight.  

Now we got some accurate data we can use! 

Are you using brake torque, if so are tires spinning/any hop? 

You can get a TRC that racing channel app to see what the weather conditions and DA look like for your launches. 

You are about half second ahead of best stock time. Care to run stock to quantify same day result? 

1 hour ago, 037 said:

Now we got some accurate data we can use! 

Are you using brake torque, if so are tires spinning/any hop? 

You can get a TRC that racing channel app to see what the weather conditions and DA look like for your launches. 

You are about half second ahead of best stock time. Care to run stock to quantify same day result? 

At some point I will switch to stock to calculate.  I just figure that is a pretty good increase over what the test mules got for the likes of Car and Driver and MotorTrend.  Best I saw with them was 5.7s to 60 and a 14.3 at 98 for the 1/4.  Of course I will post the stock numbers when I drop back to that tune.  I am brake torqueing and have the stock 20" wheels with the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble High-Perf All seasons on it.  I get a slight wheel spin at launch but it grabs pretty good, no hop and nothing like launching the FoST tuned.  I just rotated the tires a few weeks back and they only have 7000 miles on them now.  I will update once I do some more runs and figure out the best launch.  Maybe even go to the 91 tune just for more info, along with stock.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 037 said:

Sounds like you can go faster with a harder launch. Not sure the depth of suspension changes on ST but my Sport was one wild donkey. I launched 2500-2700rpm on serious track days. 

https://youtu.be/8mzLFLcXleE

Nice,  Did you have more than just the tune, like an upgraded FMIC or RMM?  My Focus did that until I got a better RMM and then it settled some.  I am not sure how far I want to go with the Edge since it is a lease, the Focus was as well but I got lucky and traded it so I did not have to remove the RMM and the updated BPV.  I wonder how much more consistent the Edge would be with an FMIC upgrade.  I did another run playing but temps were up to 77 and I was not really trying and back down to 5.5s 0-60 on that run.  But I just pulled over and then gunned it with  a slight brake torque.  I do not hop, just spin, but am also working on finding the best combination of launch.  It seeems to be a hair quicker with the trans in Sport mode than Normal.  But I could be just imagining that as I get better launching. 

The Edge did get the RMM and H&R springs but that did not completely eliminate spin or hop. 

I had the 160 thermostat and that is the best thing you can get for run consistency. You can hot lap all day long with that. 

For power all I had was tune and drop in filter. 

• Like 1

Nice.  I was thinking about the T-Stat.  The charge air temps on these things is through the roof though on a good run by the time you let off the gas.  Around 70+ degrees above intake air temp which on the ST seems to already be 10-15 degrees over ambient.   I would get the FMIC if I thought there was a  market for selling it later on and recoup most of my costs.  When I got the Focus unit it was $350 new and I sold it for $300.  Something tells me I will not get that good a return on the Edge unit.  Lol!

18 hours ago, 037 said:

Intercooler... I have yet to see someone show solid gains from that alone. Thermostat... Instant results. 

I ran 21 times the other day with no cool down, 10 runs this Sunday... Worth every penny and them some. 

Yeah but your Conti may have a better unit.  I know the FoST would lose power big time after just one pull, by the time you hit 3rd gear in it your temps were 70-90 degrees over starting temp, charge air temps.  With a good IC they may raise 10 degrees max.  Mine never went up more than 5-6 with a 3.5 inch Depo.  May help out in the 1/4 mile runs a hair if you do not pull as much timing.  Orr maybe the V-6 TT just handles the heat better or does not advance timing as far as the 2.0T. I am not tracking it anyhow, just like to make the bits and pieces happy and cool.  ?

1 hour ago, jamie1073 said:

Yeah but your Conti may have a better unit.  I know the FoST would lose power big time after just one pull, by the time you hit 3rd gear in it your temps were 70-90 degrees over starting temp, charge air temps.  With a good IC they may raise 10 degrees max.  Mine never went up more than 5-6 with a 3.5 inch Depo.  May help out in the 1/4 mile runs a hair if you do not pull as much timing.  Orr maybe the V-6 TT just handles the heat better or does not advance timing as far as the 2.0T. I am not tracking it anyhow, just like to make the bits and pieces happy and cool.  ?

Conti is enjoying the tstat as much as the Edge did. No tstat expect to lose 2 tenths per run without a 2-3 hour cool down. Tstat, lap all day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 037 said:

Conti is enjoying the tstat as much as the Edge did. No tstat expect to lose 2 tenths per run without a 2-3 hour cool down. Tstat, lap all day. 

And you see no problems heating in the winter, we do get some good coldness up here in Northern NY near the the Canadian Border.  ?

No issues during the winter as long as cooled seats work. Or should I say ventilated. 

I run warm, wife never complained of any chills. No negative impact from a 160 tstat beyond confused stares from people who watch me go quietly down the 1/4 mile while muscle cars scream behind me... 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, 037 said:

No issues during the winter as long as cooled seats work. Or should I say ventilated. 

I run warm, wife never complained of any chills. No negative impact from a 160 tstat beyond confused stares from people who watch me go quietly down the 1/4 mile while muscle cars scream behind me... 

Cool.  I have not even really looked to find it yet.  But will keep it in mind.  Thanks. 

On 7/2/2019 at 7:17 PM, jamie1073 said:

And you see no problems heating in the winter, we do get some good coldness up here in Northern NY near the the Canadian Border.  ?

I  went down this path 30 years ago with a tuned fox body car. 160 = warm air, 192 = hot air. When it gets down to -20 and colder I prefer hot.

• Like 1