Livernois ST Tune

Denny Gaughan

11 minutes ago, 037 said:

I must say my cars usually don't go into - 20 driving so I cannot confirm or deny the effect from a thermostat... 

The problem is they do not warm up enough to blow proper 'hot' heat out.  When the temps may stay below 0 for a month as a time and all you get is luke warm heat it kind of sucks.  ?

And where there are no gains with an FMIC there is less power loss due to heat soaking the stock unit.  If you keep Charge Air Temps lower you get less timing pulled when doing your runs or just when driving hard.  Say on the Quarter you start with charge air temps at 8o degrees, by the end of the 1/4 your charge air temps are at at least 150 degrees if not more.  With a better FMIC you may be at 90 degrees.  With the stock unit you are pulling timing and losing precious power.  Sure you do not gain but you lose less.  I assume that the F-150 has the larger unit for better/consistent power delivery for towing and hauling. 

I would love to see some testing with IC or without and it's impact on the 1/4 mile runs. 

I know what the tstat can do for me but I have seen no track times showing what the FMIC can. Sure it can keep Temps lower but I want to see a benefit extend to a faster run or at least faster speed at the end of the run. 

Edited by 037

3 hours ago, 037 said:

I would love to see some testing with IC or without and it's impact on the 1/4 mile runs. 

I know what the tstat can do for me but I have seen no track times showing what the FMIC can. Sure it can keep Temps lower but I want to see a benefit extend to a faster run or at least faster speed at the end of the run. 

I know it was very noticeable on the Focus before and after.  I feel like you would get a faster speed at the end, but who knows since the V-6 TT may deal with the heat better than the 2.0T does, or the fact that the 2.0T was tuned from the factory to run at the hairy edge advancing timing so any knock would retard timing significantly then inched it back up and you could feel that drop off when you got into 3rd gear.  With the Edge and the 93 tune I feel it pull more and have way more boost in the end of the run but wonder if there could be more if the air was cooler and maybe the timing advanced more.  Of course with the Focus I was using a Cobb AP to monitor things like ignition corrections so you could see it drop back when the FMIC was heat soaked and not correct as much and advance timing when a better FMIC was installed.  I wish I had the Dragy then, or that I could launch that car as well as an Auto launches.  Lol!  All I know for certain is the amount the air temps increase and how slow they cool back down, lets just say they do not cool back down until you drive a good distance at a constant speed. Well without flogging it anymore.  So it could not hurt and I bet they could tweak the tune to take advantage of it. 

So I am getting better at the launch.  Down to a 5.1s today to 60.  I so hope with a future revision we can get that down some more, maybe below 5.  And the 1/4 over 100, I still hit mid 99 mph on it and the best I have done is 13.59s at both 99.96 and 99.31mph.  I am sure an E30 tune could do better if I could find E85 gas anywhere near here. 

On 7/6/2019 at 2:03 PM, 037 said:

SO what times for 0-60 do you use off the Dragy?  I have been posting the actual times not the rollout times.  Interesting that the rollout ones are what the car reviewers use.  I dd not know that.  :-)

7 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

SO what times for 0-60 do you use off the Dragy?  I have been posting the actual times not the rollout times.  Interesting that the rollout ones are what the car reviewers use.  I dd not know that.  ?

Only time I use roll out times is when looking at 0 to 60, 1/8 and 1/4 already include that automatically. 

60ft on Dragy needs to be adjusted for reality as it doesn't have 1ft roll out. If you get track times and Dragy times I can help you find a point for adjusting it. 

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:35 PM, jamie1073 said:

I ran a 5.17s 0-60 today and 13.59s @99.96mph quarter.  That was at 78 degrees first thing this morning.  ?

Jamie

I live south of you in Syracuse and I'm just curious where is the dragstrip up your way. We have ESTA in our area, but I wasn't aware of any tracks up in Watertown.

5 hours ago, mrmikesdeuce said:

Jamie

I live south of you in Syracuse and I'm just curious where is the dragstrip up your way. We have ESTA in our area, but I wasn't aware of any tracks up in Watertown.

Well you see there really isn't one.  That is a back road that is long and straight and for the most part flat.  At 7 am there is literally no one ever on it.  I do more 0-60 runs on it since going a full 1/4 run is obviously braking the law just a hair. 

17 hours ago, 037 said:

Only time I use roll out times is when looking at 0 to 60, 1/8 and 1/4 already include that automatically. 

60ft on Dragy needs to be adjusted for reality as it doesn't have 1ft roll out. If you get track times and Dragy times I can help you find a point for adjusting it. 

Well then with the rollout time I am getting 0-60 in 4.88s then. 

One more Dragy question, is the magnet good enough to hold on the outside of a vehicle?  Wondering if say I wanted to see what another vehicle could do if I can safely slap in on the hood edge. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

Well then with the rollout time I am getting 0-60 in 4.88s then. 

One more Dragy question, is the magnet good enough to hold on the outside of a vehicle?  Wondering if say I wanted to see what another vehicle could do if I can safely slap in on the hood edge. 

The magnet is strong assuming the hood has enough metal in it. I put mine on a speaker grill in the Conti and it doesn't move. In the Edge it used to fly all over the place during launches but I think I was in the low 4s to 60.

45 minutes ago, 037 said:

The magnet is strong assuming the hood has enough metal in it. I put mine on a speaker grill in the Conti and it doesn't move. In the Edge it used to fly all over the place during launches but I think I was in the low 4s to 60.

I put the metal sticky mount in the Edge but was wondering if I go test drive and flog a car if I could toss it on the hood if it would stay.  Lol. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 8:40 AM, mrmikesdeuce said:

Jamie

On 7/10/2019 at 1:43 PM, jamie1073 said:

Well you see there really isn't one.  That is a back road that is long and straight and for the most part flat.  At 7 am there is literally no one ever on it.  I do more 0-60 runs on it since going a full 1/4 run is obviously braking the law just a hair. 

I grew up in North Syracuse and my wife is from Watertown.  We have a cottage in Sackets Harbor.  I spent many a Sundays at ESTA growing up as some of my friends had 440 Roadrunners, 383 Superbees, 340 Cuda's!  And yes there are no shortage of long flat roads in various surface condition in upper upstate NY!  Hopefully someday we all can do a meetup at ESTA.  I'm looking forward to giving my friend with a pristine 1970 454 SS a run at ESTA, he can't hookup at all!

Edited by Donto
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Donto said:

I grew up in North Syracuse and my wife is from Watertown.  We have a cottage in Sackets Harbor.  I spent many a Sundays at ESTA growing up as some of my friends had 440 Roadrunners, 383 Superbees, 340 Cuda's!  And yes there are no shortage of long flat roads in various surface condition in upper upstate NY!  Hopefully someday we all can do a meetup at ESTA.  I'm looking forward to giving my friend with a pristine 1970 454 SS a run at ESTA, he can't hookup at all!

Nice to see another Northern NY'er.  And yeah I would love to go. 

• 4 weeks later...

So I went back to stock tune so I could bring it in for oil change and what not next week.  Got 0-60's in Normal trans mode of 5.59-5.72, slight down and back up of less than a degree.  Same road one down and one back.  One in Sport trans mode got 5.88.  So definite gains with the tune.  The quarter in sport mode was 14.25@95.07 on .62% up grade. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, ktp1598 said:

For anyone with the LMS tune, did it fix the bucking and harsh 2-3 shifts? 

The software update I had took care of that.  I switched back to the stock and drove it for a few weeks and it was fine then as well shifting wise.  The LMS makes the shifts more solid, so if they are harsh for you now then the LMS is not for you since it shifts like a sporty vehicle should shift.  It accelerates when you hit the gas and not a slight delay like stock.  It makes it what it should have been from the factory, shift and throttle response wise.  When you hit the gas in normal mode it actually goes without delay, compared to stock you may think abruptly if you wanted smooth and gentle it is not for you.  I came from a Focus ST which being standard shift you of course felt very engaged, with the LMS tune you get almost that kind of feeling when manipulating the gas pedal. 

I just put it back on today after my service appointment and boy did I miss it.  I mean stock is great but tuned is so much more fun. 

Edited by jamie1073

Thanks, Jamie1073. It's actually my wife's car. She had a 2015 Edge Sport and it shifted perfect. We thought it would be a nice upgrade but it feels like there's a lot more programming left to do on this one. Her biggest complaint is the shuddering caused (I'm guessing) by it being in way too high gear with any load. Going up a hill at 50mph it shook so bad I could see it in the tach. Sudden WOT causes a delay kind of like the gas pedal didn't send a signal.     Funny, I also had a 2017 ST3, but recently traded for a 2019 Mustang GT California Special. 6-speed of course! 

16 hours ago, ktp1598 said:

Thanks, Jamie1073. It's actually my wife's car. She had a 2015 Edge Sport and it shifted perfect. We thought it would be a nice upgrade but it feels like there's a lot more programming left to do on this one. Her biggest complaint is the shuddering caused (I'm guessing) by it being in way too high gear with any load. Going up a hill at 50mph it shook so bad I could see it in the tach. Sudden WOT causes a delay kind of like the gas pedal didn't send a signal.     Funny, I also had a 2017 ST3, but recently traded for a 2019 Mustang GT California Special. 6-speed of course! 

I have never experienced any shudder at all in any gear to be honest.  Even on hills or anywhere that I would prefer it would downshift it does not shudder at all, just trucks along and accelerates albeit slower than I would like.  I mean in a manual I would downshift so of course I expect it here but it does not always chose to, sometimes I manually hit the paddle to downshift but that puts it in manual mode until you let off and it times back out to auto mode which is a pain, I mean I just manually upshift after to keep the revs down.  It does not downshift when I feel it should at times but never keeps my revs low enough to bog down or shudder.  If she does not mind shifts that are more 'Sporty' then the tune may be what she needs, puts more power down midrange so that should keep any bogging down from happening.  But I get the frustration of it not being ready when released,  I mean Ford even admits it and admits they are still working on it so you dealer should know there is a problem. 

7 hours ago, ktp1598 said:

The only thing holding us back on the tune is the warranty. It only has 900 miles on it. It may come to that though. I emailed them a few days ago to ask about what they do with the transmission and I haven't heard back from them yet. 

The tune not only adds power but it firms up the shifts and engages the torque converter sooner, or so it feels, so you feel more connected to the road almost like a manual or DSG would feel.  You fluctuate the gas pedal and you feel it instead of just a lazy 'I will engage when I want to' feeling.  It also changes the tables somewhat, but there still is the sometimes lack of a downshift when you as the driver where hoping for one.  But it never bogs or lags like the stock shift algorithms.  The throttle response in comfort mode is like sport mode on the stock tune.  Everything just responds as a 'Sport' model should.  Shifts feel slightly quicker as well, but that could also be because they are more firm.  You get the set back in the seat feeling when at WOT, not like a big V-8 but like a car with turbos and them hitting boost.  You also hit higher boost sooner than stock.