Do You Like Your Edge?

teetertotter

I sure do and only been a short while.  Navigation is more user friendly than GM on the old 14' GMC Acadia, we had.   Wife is in love with the heated steering wheel in our WI. winters.   We have gotten used to the dial-amatic shifting.  Most important, we can turn off the STOP/START feature. lol   Don't have cooling seats....DARN.

I love the '16 we just got. It's been a great adjustment into the crossover world for me since I owned a Fusion prior to. I explain the Edge as a taller  version of the Fusion (since they are based on the same platform). It's a great vehicle and I really enjoy it. Heated steering wheel is a great feature for sure! I don't know of anyone who has said they don't like having it :)

Yes I love my Edge. :love_shower: In fact all of my three Edges are still in the family. My first one (2011 MKX) is now belongs to my girlfriend, next I'm selling my second one (2016 Titanium) to my father-in-law in at the end of the month and I my third one (2019 Titanium Elite) is on order which I should get pretty soon.

Claude. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, akirby said:

The people who hate Auto stop start usually haven’t even given it a chance.  I say leave it on for a month and you’ll forget it’s there or at least not mind it.

I agree. It is weird and intrusive initially. Causes delays at lights and unsettling how it goes silent. Only real drawback is on humid/hot days when the A/C is only just barely maintaining your interior temp and it shuts down for a few moments you get a blast of humid/warm air. It will restart the car is cabin temp deviates a certain amount from the set temp though. You learn quickly how to let it restart when 2 cars ahead start rolling or you see the cross traffic light go yellow. 

The I L:rockon:ve my 2016 Edge Sport . It  is faster and handles way better than my 6.6L Trans Am ever did:shift:. It is quicker  than my 1965  C10 with a custom built big cam high performance  350,

rock crusher trans and huge Mickey Thomson’s :superhero:. It has more luxuries than any car I have ever owned and it runs like a fine Swiss watch. What is not to like :)

Edited by Xtra

I'm REALLY enjoying this car/truck/cuv/suv.....whatever.  This is my first ever Ford, coming from a late model Toyota Avalon Limited.  My '16 lease return Titanium with 20" wheels rides better than the Toyota, the seating is far more comfortable and, of course, there's all the extra cargo space ?.  I'm especially enjoying the flexibility that FORScan gives owners to make this machine their own.  Don't like extra horn honks, turn em off.  Want to move the DRL to another bulb; immobilize your car if the engine is running and the fob isn't in the cabin?  Just do that and so much more.  Sync3 is far superior to the Toyota entertainment/navigation system when it comes to ease of use. 

Is there room for improvement?  Of course, deal with it!  Lube the BAMR, change the fluids, install a decent HID headlight bulb, read your owner's manuals and spend some time on MacT's website where you'll find literally everything you'd need to maintain this vehicle.  Map updates are an issue for sure but they're not limited to Ford. At least we get occasional Sync upgrades that don't require an expensive visit to a dealer. 

Bottom line, yes I'm enjoying my Edge very much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 7:56 PM, Gadgetjq said:

Lube the BAMR, and spend some time on MacT's website

Can you explain these or provide links? I've had trouble with sunroofs on my '93 Probe and my daughter's '99 Cougar but several other cars nothing to note. I've never seen anything on this forum that indicated we need special attention to the BAMR. But I am listening. And what is the "MacT website"?

1 hour ago, pintokid said:

I've never seen anything on this forum that indicated we need special attention to the BAMR. But I am listening. And what is the "MacT website"?

Search this forum for "roof lubrication" and you'll see many posts on the subject. 
Here's a link to MacT's Vista Roof Maintenance video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ6KiV6TqIk
and here's a link to his webpage:
https://www.mactgarage.com/

If you're on Facebook take a look at this very active Edge group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MACTFORDEDGE/

Edited by Gadgetjq
Added link

On 12 juillet 2019 at 12:52 PM, akirby said:

The people who hate Auto stop start usually haven’t even given it a chance.  I say leave it on for a month and you’ll forget it’s there or at least not mind it.

Exactly.  I just got out of my 2016 Titanium and got in my new 2019 Titanium and I like the "auto stop" feature. I didn't really have to get used to it because I did drive other vehicles which had the auto stop before, so it wasn't completely "new" to me and I knew what to expect. Some people find it annoying but I'm ok with it….and to those who don't like it, I say give yourself a chance for two weeks and you'll get accustomed and won't mind it after that.

Claude. 

I didnt want my Edge to sound like garbage rattle box like every other vehicle I've seen with stop/start feature after some mileage on it, so disabled it with Forscan. 

The Edge ST to me is OK but could be a lot better. 

Transverse layout makes it difficult to work on.

Plastic oil pan. If you get too Hoonigan and find a curb with your oil pan its destroyed.

Plastic everything, intercooler pipes, intake manifold, this thing should cost $38 as its mostly made of plastic :)

Small two piston brakes up front, single pistons in rear. For the price, weight, performance it should have two piston rear, 4 piston in front.

No paddle shifting other than on steering wheel

Needs another 50 ft/lb torque everywhere

Needs some updates to the tranny shifting points

Other than that its very quiet and luxurious so I can see why a normal Edge owner wouldn't care about anything I listed above :)

• 2 weeks later...

Gadgetjq, you said, “ REALLY enjoying this car/truck/cuv/suv.....whatever.  This is my first ever Ford, coming from a late model Toyota Avalon Limited.”  I am exactly in the same boat.  I have a 2011 Avalon with 85k on it. Am going to pass it to the spouse and am thinking of an Edge. Daughter has a 2015 and loves it. My past 4 vehicles have been Camrys so I am a little nervous about Ford’s reliability.  I tend to keep my rides a long time and rack up lots of miles. 

• 3 weeks later...

My Edge was enjoyable for the most part when I first got it, but I had one that had many many more issues than normal. I am still trying to sell it. It was overall very comfortable to drive and fit me well, but I do not regret moving on. I have had two bad experiences with cars from American Brands (Chevy and Now Ford). I find it humorous that both of my cars from American car companies were built in Canada, and the first car I have ever owned from a Japanese manufacturer was built in Indiana. Strange world it is. 

Have a 2019 SEL.  

The wife drives the car 95% of the time.   When I do drive the car, I dislike the lumber part of the seat.  Needs to be higher up for me.  Dislike the leather.  First time for us, have always had cloth.  Also dislike the automatic climate control, can't shift the tranny down on steep grades, has to use the brakes more

The wife likes everything about the car other then the leather seats, the automatic climate control, can't shift the tranny down on steep grades, has to use the brakes more.  So yes there are somethings we both dislike.  

Otherwise we like the car.  It can handle the two lane curvy roads as fast as we feel comfortable in going.  Unfortunately we can't go as fast as we would like since there is always someone going slower.   The car is averaging 30.1 mpg.  Lower then the car we traded in, but then the Ford is about twice the size of the car we traded in.  The Ford can carry a LOT of stuff with the rear seats down, like all the little storage areas.  

The stop/start feature.  I don't care for it, so when I'm driving I shut it off.   The wife likes it, leaves it on.  At stops with the window down, sometimes can hear the car start up other times not.  Get some weird looks from other drivers who have their window down when the car starts up again.  ?

Doubt we will keep it ten years like we did our last car, time will tell.   

56 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Also dislike the automatic climate control, can't shift the tranny down on steep grades, has to use the brakes more

The wife likes everything about the car other then the leather seats, the automatic climate control, can't shift the tranny down on steep grades, has to use the brakes more.  So yes there are somethings we both dislike. 

What is it about the automatic climate control that you both dislike?  I keep hearing this from people including my daughter but I don't understand it.   How are you using it?

58 minutes ago, akirby said:

What is it about the automatic climate control that you both dislike?

Great question, I was wondering the same thing. 

'Not' having auto climate control would have been a deal breaker for my wife and me.  Just like in our home, we set the thermostat to the temperature we're comfortable with then pretty much forget it though the Max Air button does get a lot of use after the Edge has been parked in the sun awhile.

10 hours ago, akirby said:

What is it about the automatic climate control that you both dislike?  I keep hearing this from people including my daughter but I don't understand it.   How are you using it?

Unable to control the heater where it blows.  Don't want it coming out the vents in my face, want it to blow on my feet.  Can't change that.   Have had where the heater kicks on and I want the vent on.  Have to drop the temp down to around 66 to 63 to get cooler air in.    I like the controls of turning it to heat or vent and the slide bar on the temperature I want.  

Air conditioning works fine.  Happy with that.  Can control the temp in the car.  But when it is 68 degrees outside don't need the a/c.   

3 hours ago, Nolan said:

Unable to control the heater where it blows.  Don't want it coming out the vents in my face, want it to blow on my feet.  Can't change that.   Have had where the heater kicks on and I want the vent on.  Have to drop the temp down to around 66 to 63 to get cooler air in.    I like the controls of turning it to heat or vent and the slide bar on the temperature I want.  

Air conditioning works fine.  Happy with that.  Can control the temp in the car.  But when it is 68 degrees outside don't need the a/c.   

I assume you have Sync 3. Use the screen to change the flow direction. See the below video at 1:33 mark: