Jump to content
JAYQD

Dash Camera Installation

Recommended Posts

I purchased a two-channel dash camera system and hired a professional installer to complete the fuse-tap and conceal the wiring.

 

I'm not keen on aftermarket items being noticeable to passers-by when the vehicle is unattended, so the trade-off for discreet placement of the front camera is a partially obstructed view because of Ford's windshield housing (picture attached).  

 

The parking mode module is configured for a 12-hour timeout or a 12V (±0.1V) cut-off, and there's a manual shut-off switch installed in the glove compartment.  My dealership recommended a 12.5V cut-off, if possible, but the installer told me it wouldn't enable in that setting.  The installer also assured me that the Edge's electrical system will cut power to the camera system, regardless of what my settings are, to ensure reliable, year-round starts.

 

Has anyone else installed a similar aftermarket item that's capable of drawing battery power with the ignition off?

 

 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.JPG

Edited by JAYQD
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JAYQD said:

Has anyone else installed a similar aftermarket item that's capable of drawing battery power with the ignition off?


Yes.  My dashcam (Thinkware) has a built in battery sensor that can be set via software.  After playing with FOREscan awhile or fiddling with Sync I frequently hear the camera announce "shutting down due to low battery."  That just means I've dropped to a 12v threshold before the preset 3 hour automatic camera shutdown happens.  The Edge always fires up, no problem so don't let it worry you. 

Your installer did a really nice job!

Cheers!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to hear, thanks.  I haven't enabled parking mode yet, but I thought it was odd that I couldn't set it to less than 12 hours.  3-6 hours would suffice for my needs, but I guess they can't please everyone.  By the sounds of it, the system may not even achieve 3 hours anyway :)  One thing I have learned is that if the windshield or lens have any smudges, the video is blurred.  Once the novelty wears off and I stop taking the camera inside to download video directly off the SD card, I'll make sure everything is ultra clean and leave it alone.  I agree with you both, the installer earned his fee ($170 CDN).  It took him two hours to do the job, and by the looks of it the fuse panel is a b*tch to reach, so he earned it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fuse box does look like a spine twister until you realize....ta daaaaa...you can remove the change (or whatever you put in there) drawer.  Pull that out and you're looking right at the fuse panel.  At that point it's pretty simple just to reach up under the dash while you're looking through that opening to insert/remove fuses/fuse taps. 

 

I figured the hard part for your installer was getting the delay box installed in your glove box and routing cable to it from power/camera.

 

Cheers!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not too sure; I didn't ask, and he didn't complain.  I wonder if he tapped into the fuses under the hood because I can't see any taps installed, and the charge was $10 for two taps.  I suppose I could call and ask, just out of curiosity.

 

 

 

8.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2019 at 6:33 PM, Gadgetjq said:

The fuse box does look like a spine twister until you realize....ta daaaaa...you can remove the change (or whatever you put in there) drawer.  Pull that out and you're looking right at the fuse panel.  At that point it's pretty simple just to reach up under the dash while you're looking through that opening to insert/remove fuses/fuse taps. 

 

I figured the hard part for your installer was getting the delay box installed in your glove box and routing cable to it from power/camera.

 

Cheers!

how do you get that change drawer out LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, diesel97 said:

how do you get that change drawer out LOL


Open the drawer, insert your hand palm up.  Curl your fingers a little so the tips are against the top of the assembly.  Pull.  You'll hear four clicks as the keepers release.  Done!   It's a little scary the first time thinking you might break something but it does pop right out with with a little tug.

Cheers!

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they eliminated that feature on the '19s; at least, mine doesn't have a change compartment.  Now, it's only an access panel.

 

 

20190709_153201.jpg

20190709_153147.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe I found where fuse taps were installed, which explains why I don't see any on the fuse panel.  I didn't follow the wires because the pavement was too hot to kneel on for long, but it would appear they were somehow installed near the OBDII module.  I'll have my dealership confirm the wiring is acceptable the next time I'm in for service.

 

 

20190709_153759.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JAYQD said:

I think they eliminated that feature on the '19s; at least, mine doesn't have a change compartment.  Now, it's only an access panel.

 

 

20190709_153201.jpg

 

It looks like the dashboard side is still the same (see pic below) so if you 'want' the drawer find an earlier Edge at a local recycle yard or check eBay.

dash side 'with' drawer

access.jpg.2d5e021736cda83ad88816be34dfa6ef.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose there's never too many places to store things, so I'll probably look into since the housing appears to be the same.  Nothing ventured — nothing gained.  Thanks for the tip :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2018 did not have the drawer so I swapped it with the one from my 2016 before trading it in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the "auto battery disconnect" feature, I can tell you that on my 2011 and 2013 Edge, I've left the dome and/or parking lights on before and in the morning, they're off and the battery is fully functional.  I know I've left them on because as soon as I start the Edge, they all come on.  Haven't tried with the headlights.

 

Another "ignition wire" that is even more convenient is the power to the rear view mirror. My 9500ix and Garmin 2555 LTM are both wired into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a really clean set up!! I just set up my dash cam on my 2021 Ford Edge St. I am to the point where I need to hard wire it, I want to use fuse taps into the fuse box under the dash. I need to find a fuse that is always hot and one that is powered when the car is on! Any advice?? Thank you in advance 😊😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rysiu said:

 I need to find a fuse that is always hot and one that is powered when the car is on! Any advice?? Thank you in advance 😊😊


Here's the layout for a '16, it 'might' be the same for your later model.  Be sure to check using a multimeter or test light.   Note, the left side of the photo is actually the 'top' of the fuse box.image.png.955f38659c4413a6fa81bc5bac07d201.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:


Here's the layout for a '16, it 'might' be the same for your later model.  Be sure to check using a multimeter or test light.   Note, the left side of the photo is actually the 'top' of the fuse box.image.png.955f38659c4413a6fa81bc5bac07d201.png


thank you Gadgetjq, 

 

I looked up the fuses and fuse 35 is the 5 A Passenger airbag deactivation indicator and fuse  26 is the  30 A Front passenger door window and mirror. Front passenger door module. Front passenger lock indicator. Front passenger switch illumination.

 

I have not checked if it is always hot or not, as I am waiting for my micro fuse taps to arrive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 3:57 PM, JAYQD said:

I believe I found where fuse taps were installed, which explains why I don't see any on the fuse panel.  I didn't follow the wires because the pavement was too hot to kneel on for long, but it would appear they were somehow installed near the OBDII module.  I'll have my dealership confirm the wiring is acceptable the next time I'm in for service.

 

On 11/7/2021 at 6:24 PM, Rysiu said:


thank you Gadgetjq, 

 

I looked up the fuses and fuse 35 is the 5 A Passenger airbag deactivation indicator and fuse  26 is the  30 A Front passenger door window and mirror. Front passenger door module. Front passenger lock indicator. Front passenger switch illumination.

 

I have not checked if it is always hot or not, as I am waiting for my micro fuse taps to arrive.

I just purchased a 2021 Edge Titanium and the under dash fuse panel is darned near impossible to get at.  There is a lot of stuff packed under there and I can maybe touch it with two fingers, neither of them the thumb.  This post got me to thinking that I could use the OBDI plug to get the switchable power.  If one of the connections is switchable, I'd easily sacrifice an old code reader to cut off the plug and wire into it.  Does that sound reasonable?  I'll research the plug in the time being to see what I can find.

Edited by 1004ron
No need to quote everyting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×