Ford Edge Forum
evh

What Part is this? - 3.5L 2016 AWD Edge

See the attached pictures.  My 2016 AWD SEL Edge with 37,000 miles (of course, just out of warranty) just developed a rattle under the hood.  The part I am pointing at rattles sometimes  (you can see and hear it rattle).  Sometimes it stops.  My guess is it is the idler pulley or possibly part of the air conditioner.  Looks like the belt is attached to it or runs under it.  I watched it rattle and then stop (i.e. air conditioner clutch rattling when it grabs and stops when it releases?)  Note, air conditioner works fine.

Thanks ahead for any help

Shot1528.jpg

I did some searching, it is the belt tensioner.  See pic.

Shot1531.jpg

I have heard of tensioners going bad on these engines.  When I replaced my serpentine belts, I also put on a new tensioner as well.  My old one definitely had some wobble to it.  Is it just the pulley that is wobbling or the entire thing?  If the whole thing is moving, I would check the bolts.  Perhaps they are loose for some reason.  If not, a new tensioner is your answer and it is relatively easy to change, just tight getting to the bolts.

• Like 1

It seems like the whole thing wobbles.  Based on the picture I posted, are there just two bolts at the top?

The bolts were not loose, the spring/idler wheel would jiggle when the air was turned on and it would make a rattling noise.  I replaced it with a new Ford part.  It still jiggles when the air was turned on, but there was no rattle.  Lots of fun getting the belt back one.  Tip - Remove the guard you remove for changing the oil and work underneath as well as on top.  Finally got it.

The stretchy belt is even more fun. And the belly pan cover is missing on mine, so one less thing I had to remove. Glad you got it figured out though.