warped windshield 2019 titanium

• 2 months later...

I just bought a 2019 Edge ST and noticed the same thing. I came back to the dealer to tell them and they said it should be covered to replace under warranty if they file a claim. I decided to hold off because I went out onto the lot and noticed every 2019 Edge I looked at had the same issue. And the representatives agreed too. So I think I want to hold off to see if FORD recognizes the issue soon because I don't want to order a replacement for my brand new vehicle if FORD hasn't fixed the issue yet because they may not be aware. Just an FYI, I also see a little distortion in the rear glass around the middle of the window. It's just not as noticeable.Ā  Let me know if anyone else finds out more info on this issue. Thanks!Ā 

Edited by chrisn06
Typos

On 8 juillet 2019 at 9:17 PM, scoops said:

my windshield is distorted around the rear view mirror on the driver side. dealer says normal, state farm says don't drive, distracting. anyone else? phred

Ā 

Yes!ā€¦I have the exact same problem on mine ('19 Titanium) in the exact same spot as you're saying (a little left of the rear view mirror on the driver's side)Ā but haven't complained to my dealerĀ about it ā€¦ yet.:shrug:Ā I have to admit that it's not that big of a problem to me 'cause it's rather close to the mirror so I'm hesitating to have it replaced and risk the glass guys scratching the paint, or damaging the mouldings, etcā€¦Ā :doh:

Ā 

Claude.

Couldn't agree more with what you are saying. I told my sales guy I was hesitant simply for the fact that it's a brand new vehicle and what if they fix and it leaks or doesn't look the same, etc. Then as I mentioned,Ā  after I got home and thought about it more I thought the replacement glass could have the same defect if they don't know about it, considering all Edges on there lot had the same issue.Ā Then I would've taken the glass out for no reason. Anyway, it doesnt bother me a ton but I do find myself looking at it and the rear glass while driving which may cause a wreck.Ā  I haven't driven my new Edge a ton though as I'm still driving my 2010 a little.Ā 

It isn't nearly as noticeable.Ā  It's basically right in the center of the rear window. As I watch the car behind me or the lines on the road, they are slightly distorted. You may not even notice but I see something that doesnt appear perfect as my 2010 does.Ā 

I had to stop for an oil change today for my 2010 and one of the service managers did some research and said one customer had their front window fixed a month ago and she didnt have any issues with distortion on the replacement. If that is truly the case, I may consider fixing mine too. But I still really don't like the fact that I have to replace this part on a brand new vehicle.Ā  So I'll have to think more about it. If it doesn't bother me too much, I may wait for a year or two and then fix under the warranty still.Ā 

Good luck!Ā 

Well, I was hoping to be making an introduction post first, but I am sorry to say I have to join the distortion club.

Ā 

Picked up my 2019 Ruby Red Titanium EliteĀ  301A on Friday afternoon.Ā  Haven't really driven that much at all really yet(40 miles).Ā  Cleaned the windshield in & out last night(dealer left it streaky, pet peeve).Ā  While on my way to work today and passing by some storefronts, I noticed the lettering warping as it went past the driversĀ side of the rear view mirror.Ā  Rubbed my eyes and wiped the windshield with a micro fiber cloth, still there.Ā  Of course now that I know it's happening, I keep looking.Ā  It's like looking through prescription glasses that are way too strong.Ā  Can certainly see the distortion when looking at an angle from the outside.Ā Ā 

Ā 

This is something I definitely have to take care of.Ā  I legitimately have Vertigo and it's distracting.Ā  Will call my dealer tomorrow and have him facilitate the process.Ā  Certainly not something I want to deal with on a car with less than 100 miles on it.Ā  Usually takes a month to get a loaner, soĀ need to start process now.Ā  Oh I also installed my dashcam & radar detector yesterday as well.Ā  So now I get to chuck the mount once I get it off, and pry the wires out of headliner & windshield molding. What and awesome start!Ā  lol

Yep, from what I could tell when I went back to the lot a few days after purchase, all Edges had the issue at the dealership in KY. Where was your dealership located?

Ā 

Yep, i also have issues with vertigo and general focus at times. So at first i thought it was me. I'm gonna get mine fixed soon most likely too as it's becoming a distraction.Ā  I haven't driven my new edge much either as I was still driving my 2010 Edge with perfect glass. Just an FYI, you can just lean into the car looking from outside and see the distortion around the rear view mirror. It's plain as day. And I agree, it definitely stinks to have to fix something on a brand new vehicle.Ā  Definitely a defect in this 2019 model. I looked at Explorers and Escapes just to see if they had the issue and they didn't.Ā 

Ā 

If you fix soon, let me know how it all goes and if the new glass is better or like it should be, clear. Also let me know if you see any minor distortion in the back glass around the middle. I see a little there too but not near as bad.Ā 

Ā 

I'm in NY, but cars come fromĀ the same place.Ā  Will take a look at my build date.Ā  Can absolutely see it from the outside.Ā  Just cause cars on lot have the distortion, doesn't mean replacement will have it(at least I hope so).Ā  Worst case if it comes in and it's bad, they order another, and so on and so on, as long as I have a loaner.Ā  Not worried about leaks and just have to check carefully for damage when I pick up and they will take care of it.Ā  I have had the car a couple of days, and noticed the lane keeping system kept going off.Ā  I came out of a 2017 Escape, with the same feature and never had it go offĀ so much.Ā  After seeing the distortion, starting to think that is the reason(thought it was just getting used to a wider car).Ā  My drive to work is short, and bearable, but if I had to drive any further, it would be an issue.Ā  Will see how it is tonight.Ā  Trees are fine, but anything with writing or definition, looks like i'm wearing bifocals.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Doing a search for "FORD WINDSHIELD DISTORTION", brought up many results for various vehicles.Ā  Sucks, but such is life.Ā  My Escape had paint peeling off A-pillars between windshield at 16k miles. Ford repaired, took over a week of course.Ā  Guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.Ā  LOL

Ā 

Will try to take a video

Build Date 12/18

Here are a couple videos.Ā  One fromĀ seat, other fromĀ outside.Ā  Very bad passing storefronts/road signs.Ā  Makes you look towards the right as you pass them.Ā Ā 

Bringing into dealer on Wednesday, he called me actually.Ā  They forgot to do the adaptive headlightsĀ fix.Ā  SMH

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by steamroll9
HTML issues/Typo

"steamroll9", mine is exactlyĀ like your first video but like I said, I'd rather live with it and keep it like that than having the dealer replace the windshield and risk having the paint scratched or water leaking in afterwards. It's not directly in the line-of-view, Ā just in the corner of the mirror. I know it'sĀ not supposed to be like that but frankly,Ā I don't think it'sĀ such aĀ big deal.

Ā 

Claude.

Due to Vertigo issues I have, have to get it fixed.Ā  Also, it's a lease, can't risk them coming back at me with windshield damage(won't be under warranty any more when returned).Ā  I've had a few windshields replaced and never had/heardĀ of any leaking water at all.Ā  As far as scratches, that is always a risk when taking a car in for service, just have to take time to check when picking up.Ā Ā 

13 minutes ago, steamroll9 said:

Due to Vertigo issues I have, have to get it fixed.Ā  Also, it's a lease, can't risk them coming back at me with windshield damage(won't be under warranty any more when returned).Ā  I've had a few windshields replaced and never had/heardĀ of any leaking water at all.Ā  As far as scratches, that is always a risk when taking a car in for service, just have to take time to check when picking up.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Sorry, I didn't know about your vertigo issuesā€¦ As for the leasing company, I don't think they can hold you responsible about the windshield being warped since the car was "born" that way. It's not some damage you did to it.

Ā 

Claude.Ā 

Windshield is considered wear and tear.Ā  I just turned in a 2017 Escape that had paint peeling off A-pillars @ 16k miles(obvious priming issue).Ā  Ā Towards end of lease, I inquired If I was responsible for getting repair done before turning in a month early.Ā  Dealer said in most instances I would be responsible and not worth the risk.Ā Ā 

32 minutes ago, steamroll9 said:

Windshield is considered wear and tear.Ā 

Ā 

Wear and tear on a windshield is about scratches, cracks etcā€¦ A warped windshield has nothing to do with wear and tear. It is aĀ manufacturing defectĀ Ā and no one should hold you responsible for it as it was delivered to you like that and notĀ caused by you.

Ā 

Claude.

On 24 septembre 2019 at 12:08 AM, chrisn06 said:

Has anyone noticed any distortion in the middle of the rear glass on back like I've noticed? It's very minor compared to the front glass but still noticeable to me.Ā 

Ā 

Since you mentioned it, I went and paid attention more closelyĀ andĀ mine isĀ ok.Ā :thumbsup:

Ā 

Claude.Ā 

Thanks for checking.

Ā 

One other question.Ā  I was testing all the 12v plugs for my phone charger and the one on the passenger side on the left doesn't seem to work. I've tried a couple different cords and none seem to work in that plugin whether the car is turned on or off. All other plugins seem to work....in console, in rear seat and in cargo area are all fine. Anyone else have issues with that plugin?Ā 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, chrisn06 said:

No one else had trouble with the passenger side 12v outlet plug?Ā 

Ā 

I don't recall any member having a similar issue.especially not on the new models. The fuse chart shows that there are separate fuses for each 12V power outlet, so it might be that. But being a 2019, let your dealer take care of it.

Yep, agree with you as well. I told dealer that too. ThatĀ it's probably a fuse but this is a brand new 2019 that I shouldn't have to be dealing with these things. The whole reason I was upgrading from my 2010 was just so I'd be for the most part issue free. I loved my 2010 and almost kept both but I really didnt have a need for 2 vehicles. Thanks for your response omar302.Ā 

• 5 weeks later...