This idea was inspired by @jmr061 post.

https://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22024-north-american-2016-ford-edge-sport-instrument-cluster-upgrade/?tab=comments#comment-165447

I reached out to JMR061 and he said that he was only doing the explorer swaps and that it too way to long to source the lens mask. iI asked if the lens/ mask could be modded and he said no. Which is understandable the lens mask could be modded to fit but it would take some serious fiber glass or or substrate skills  To fabricate/ attach the mounting points for the top of the lens mask and for the curved sections Or if someone was so inclined to have a new lens/ mask created via 3D printing or other wizardry.   

I decided to put it on the back burner of the mod list as it seemed beyond reach for a time.  The flames of passion for the Digital IPC has enflamed anew by this post by @DaMiFo

https://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/27048-2019-st-instrument-panel-update-to-2020-st/?tab=comments#comment-201541

Special shout to DaMifo, for introducing the concept of swapping the the Lincoln MKX cluster into a ford edge. 

Special shout to @TXFRDOwner for sourcing the lens/ mask required to fit the Lincoln MKX cluster.

Special shout to DanMC85 (contact@Sync3programming.com) for answering all of my questions and programing my cluster for me.  

Notes: All the info that DaMifo has posted is accurate.  

The 2G forum post is a wealth of information regarding the cluster swap.  Most people that have done it say that it can be done within a half an hour. This is my first cluster swap on my edge and I got it done within 45 minutes. 

The extra 15 minutes was due to finding a torx head socket and finding light. If you do not have a well lit garage that you can work in, it is easily to accomplish in your drive way. 

I decided to test the 30 min window by doing it just after the sun started to set. and It threatened to rain. The day after was 90 degrees and clear. Whats the fun if there is no challenge.  Actually this has been more than a month worth of text and emails between Dan and TXFRDOwner coordinating the swap. Once I received it I knew it was going to go in that day. 

I had to run around looking for my LED light to complete the work. I also decided it is ripe time for a bathroom break and beer break.  I also had to figure out how to swap masks. Nothing really to figure out when you have all of the pieces at hand. 

There are two torx screws and 7 clips.  We all wish we could have more than two hands and, or be in multiple places at once. I ran out of flat heads that were thin enough to remove the clips.  Good thing I decided to do this in my kitchen because my steak knives were put to good use! I needed to prop them up all at once to separate the cluster from the lens.

Needless to say my lady was not thrilled. She decided to take her global steak knife set home. But I digress.

Any changes that were previously enabled via forscan will need to be programmed by Dan prior to receiving your cluster.  Alternatively you can reprogram them yourself.  This is  potentially one of your favorite/visual mods to do. You see it all time.  The digital dash displays so much information, it really is worth having. 

Thanks once again to Jmr061, DaMifo and TXFRDOwner And DanMC85!

IMG_20190823_203626.jpg

Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) RI.pdf

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I see some errors ...No redline and whats the little car in the lane by the large graphic showing the same?  I think thats an option not supported on the Edge.  Trying to go from memory.

And 458 till empty...what motor you got? LOL never seen my sport that high.

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, omar302 said:

@onyxbfly

Congratulations on finishing the project. The stock cluster is very "boring". Especially since I have been looking at the type since 2011.

Thanks for the kind words and support. IMHO Ford dropped the ball.  You're exactly right.  The gravity of the situation is compounded when you read it out loud. The top of the line ST should have been equipped with the explorer platinum or the Lincoln MKX cluster. The only interesting thing about the ST cluster is boost gauge.   Regular model, regular cluster.   

• Like 1

The MKX, Nautilus, now has an all display cluster, so they have no excuse letting the Edge with the very old cluster. What's worse is that this cluster in the Edge (Sport, Titanium, ST) is the upper class cluster. They did the same mistake with the new 2019 Ranger. Using this same cluster design. The worst aspect of this cluster is the mostly useless right scree.

• Like 2

On 8/29/2019 at 8:51 PM, jmr061 said:

I see some errors ...No redline

Issue resolved!  If you see any other errors please point them out.

little car in the lane by the large graphic showing the same?  I think thats an option not supported on the Edge. 

That is a feature enabled in the latest edge firmware. 

And 458 till empty...what motor you got? LOL never seen my sport that high.

That pic was the first pic after installing it.  18 gallon gas tank at a theoretical 25-26 miles per gallon, will put you in the 450-468 miles.  I only get in the 400s when, I do tank to tank highway miles rod trips etc.

IMG_20190830_234208.jpg

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 2

Glad to see the redline fixed...the option that you say is in the latest Edge firmware....that Icon is for lane centering isn't it.  Had nothing but issues on the interstates with mine when I tried that, 2 lane roads were fine.  If that is what it is, the 17 Edge doesn't have that option.  What firmware is the cluster running?  I finally opted to run 18 MKX to keep it as close to the Edge model as possible.  I had it tweaked back to Ford colors along with adding a pic of my Electric Spice Edge in the middle during startup.

BTW glad to see someone else doing this with their Edge now.  It really is a nice upgrade.

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 4

I believe that Dan said that it was the latest firmware. I linked Dan to this thread. He may join and answer any of the behind the scenes questions. My cluster is from an 18MKX I'm not sure what the differences between the firmware and clusters. 

I was thinking of adding things to the cluster like a pic of my edge etc. I opted for a clean look. Dan said that he can make adjustments for the theme for a nominal fee if I decide to do make changes in the future. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I don't know about the Lincoln, but that's very similar to the instrument cluster used over here in Europe. The only major difference I guess is they are all Diesels over here so the Rev counter only goes up to 6 instead of 8.

T

Something else if nobody has seen it - has anybody tried the android centre consoles?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33061467784.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.46bd50a0AiWVN0&

edgezm.jpg

Edited by Tezzer74
Better Image
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, cdg said:

What will the center stack look like with the new 2020 Edge

No one can say for sure. The ST should get the Explorer Platinum IPC at a minimum. I do hope that the 2020 models get a new IPC.  But something tells me that Ford simply just doesn't care and we will be looking at the same cluster since 2011.

If your referring to the SYNC/ Navigation screen I don't think well will see any significant changes until the Edge gets a full refresh. By full I mean inside and out!  The only change of note is that the 2020 + will not have a CD player.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, zrt8355 said:

I've got a cluster from a 2019 Nautilus on the way for my 16 SEL, the one with the 12.3" display. Ford Etis lists the car as "16-18 MKX, 19- NAUTILUS" so my bet is that the overall shape and wiring has not changed. This could be a fun project.

You're the first person to do a SYNC 3 conversion in a edge.  Now you will be the first person to do a Nautilus cluster swap!

I Look forward to your project!  I was interested in the Nautilus cluster as well. When I was shopping for clusters the Nautilus cluster was only available from the dealership.  I can imagine that the Nautilus have started popping up in salvage yards.  

1 hour ago, onyxbfly said:

You're the first person to do a SYNC 3 conversion in a edge.  Now you will be the first person to do a Nautilus cluster swap!

I Look forward to your project!  I was interested in the Nautilus cluster as well. When I was shopping for clusters the Nautilus cluster was only available from the dealership.  I can imagine that the Nautilus have started popping up in salvage yards.  

The Sync 3 project was awesome! It was pretty easy which I expected based on doing the same swap in my 2014 Fusion. I'm just glad my 16 Edge already has it so I didn't have to worry about it!

You might keep your eyes peeled on ebay and car-part.com while the Nautilus is so new, because the yards aren't gonna know how high to price them. I just bought mine on eBay for $80 shipped, and it looks like 1 other sold from the same yard for $111. 

I'm not too worried about the connection, I really just need help finding the parts that make the MKX cluster fit and also have no idea what I'll do about the Lincoln-branded graphics. As long as I can replace the logo with Ford in some OEM looking way, that would be awesome.

24 minutes ago, zrt8355 said:

The Sync 3 project was awesome! It was pretty easy which I expected based on doing the same swap in my 2014 Fusion. I'm just glad my 16 Edge already has it so I didn't have to worry about it!

You might keep your eyes peeled on ebay and car-part.com while the Nautilus is so new, because the yards aren't gonna know how high to price them. I just bought mine on eBay for $80 shipped, and it looks like 1 other sold from the same yard for $111. 

I'm not too worried about the connection, I really just need help finding the parts that make the MKX cluster fit and also have no idea what I'll do about the Lincoln-branded graphics. As long as I can replace the logo with Ford in some OEM looking way, that would be awesome.

Thanks for the heads up! Can you send me a link to the seller?  Are you going to program it, or have some one do it for you? I might have to do this conversion if I can get a IPC cheap enough.   Drop @TXFRDOwner a line he can get you a lense/ mask that will fit.

2 hours ago, zrt8355 said:

also have no idea what I'll do about the Lincoln-branded graphics. As long as I can replace the logo with Ford in some OEM looking way, that would be awesome.

Seeing that the new Explorer and Escape both come with a fully digital cluster, I'd expect them to have the same hardware. So a Ford graphics firmware would be easy. I remember reading somewhere that these new gauges work differently. But not sure. Following several forums across different Ford models gets me mixed-up. Your project is very interesting because I wouldn't have to worry about units as I was not able to source a good Km/h guage for my Edge.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

Thanks for the heads up! Can you send me a link to the seller?  Are you going to program it, or have some one do it for you? I might have to do this conversion if I can get a IPC cheap enough.   Drop @TXFRDOwner a line he can get you a lense/ mask that will fit.

Definitely- Here's the seller I got mine from. I don't have much experience with IPC programming past enabling a few features using Forscan. I'm sure I'll need assistance, from what I understand IDS is required? I'm still a bit muddy on what all is involved. So I'll probably have to have some help. I'll shoot TXFRDOwner a message for the lens, thanks for the heads up there. 

8 hours ago, omar302 said:

Seeing that the new Explorer and Escape both come with a fully digital cluster, I'd expect them to have the same hardware. So a Ford graphics firmware would be easy. I remember reading somewhere that these new gauges work differently. But not sure. Following several forums across different Ford models gets me mixed-up. Your project is very interesting because I wouldn't have to worry about units as I was not able to source a good Km/h guage for my Edge.

That's good to know. I was thinking it wouldn't be so hard since the Explorer has it (I wasn't aware of Escape but I don't keep up with them), I'm sure the Edge would have to be getting it. As long as I can get it to not say Lincoln or some incorrect Ford model I'd be happy.

Edited by zrt8355

Nautilus cluster has arrived...but the connector on the back is definitely different than that of the MKX/Edge clusters. If anyone has any ideas I would be interested to hear them. I want to avoid cutting any wires on my Edge, but if I could just take the pins out of the current connector and rearrange them in the new one, I'd be down for that. Would just need access to pinouts for both cars to see if it's all the same wires in a different arrangement or what.