SYNC3 Map Updates Available On Line

10 hours ago, Gortty-Pilot said:

Does anyone know if those of us who “updated” from MFT to Sync 3 will be able to install the map update?  

It sounds like the VINs and ESNs will identify actual Sync3 vehicles and units. 

I don't know but it costs you nothing to go to the update site and enter your VIN + ESN numbers.  Once you do that you'll either be taken to an update page or be told the numbers are bogus.  Give it a try!

Cheers!

My download from the Sync site to my laptop worked fine.  Transferring the download to the USB stick failed multiple times with two different sticks.  I'm not shocked.  Very few of these downloads have done well for me over the years.  I've contacted my local dealership to see if they'll do the map update for free. 

We shall see.

51 minutes ago, Davom97 said:

Transferring the download to the USB stick failed multiple times with two different sticks.  I'm not shocked.  Very few of these downloads have done well for me over the years.

That's kind of odd.  The file(s) should unzip easily to a USB drive.  If you're getting an error on your PC try a different unzip utility.

Where people normally have issues is with the vehicle reading the flash drive.  While Ford's instructions tell you to format the drive ExFat that frequently fails.  Format to FAT32 and the drives always work as long as the files are all in the root of the flash drive.  Give it a shot!

There's a 12 page PDF called "Downloadinginstructions" provided by Ford and the typical Windows unzip process is never mentioned.  I know how to do that, but I was trying to follow Ford's very detailed step by step.  Silly me, but I should have known.  Very few of these Ford downloads have gone well for me down through the years.

To your point, the PDF also is clear that the format is to be exFAT.  I will try FAT32.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, Davom97 said:

There's a 12 page PDF called "Downloadinginstructions" provided by Ford and the typical Windows unzip process is never mentioned.  I know how to do that, but I was trying to follow Ford's very detailed step by step.  Silly me, but I should have known.  Very few of these Ford downloads have gone well for me down through the years.

To your point, the PDF also is clear that the format is to be exFAT.  I will try FAT32.  Thanks.

I am a little confused...you have a 2011 and are trying to use SYNC3 map updates?

No, sorry for the confusion guys.  My APIM finally died in my 2011 Edge and I bought a 2018 Fusion.  Can't find a Fusion Forum that comes close to the info here, so I came back here.  I do apologize.  Should have been clearer.

So yes, it's the Sync3 MAP update. 

Haven't heard back from my contact at the dealership. 

Edited by Davom97

On 16 septembre 2019 at 8:03 AM, Gadgetjq said:

I don't know but it costs you nothing to go to the update site and enter your VIN + ESN numbers.  Once you do that you'll either be taken to an update page or be told the numbers are bogus.  Give it a try!

Cheers!

After entering my Edge's serial number, I tried entering the "ESN" number but it won't let me enter all the digits…only thew first 6 or 7 digits but not the whole number!… :headscratch:

Claude

13 minutes ago, 2FAST4U said:

After entering my Edge's serial number, I tried entering the "ESN" number but it won't let me enter all the digits…only thew first 6 or 7 digits but not the whole number!… :headscratch:

My ESN is a combination of 8 letters and numbers and I can enter all of them.  Are you on this site? https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home

On 9/15/2019 at 8:58 PM, Gortty-Pilot said:

Does anyone know if those of us who “updated” from MFT to Sync 3 will be able to install the map update?  

It sounds like the VINs and ESNs will identify actual Sync3 vehicles and units. 

My Edge is at the shop getting a run in with a parking garage fixed so I can’t get the ESN, but I’ll provide an update as soon as I get the chance. 

3 hours ago, Gortty-Pilot said:

Got my 2011 Edge with Sync3 and tried my VIN and ESN and I received an error message. Basically the system isn’t recognizing my VIN as compatible although I can call a phone number if I feel that there it is an error. 

A 2011 VIN and SYNC3 ESN will be an automatic fail.  The map updates are tied to the ESN and the VIN that ESN is registered to in OASIS.  Since a 2011 never came with SYNC3 its simply not possible to have that match in OASIS.

I am grateful to all you folks for the Fusion forum suggestions and I will join one of those soon. 

However, tonight I was successfully on my way to updating my car and then discovered the hard way that I didn't disable the "auto engine shutoff" feature.  It shut off and I just restarted it.

What are the odds that this works?  Any suggestions?

So frustrated with myself. 

Last week I was downtown and the new NA 1 18 map had the extensive road works and flyovers covered, in addition to my home address - pleased with the update, but disappointed that my 2017 that shipped with way out of date maps, and this update wasn't free like the 2018 and 2019 models. 

Edited by 1004ron

Ford is real slick! They bundle the navigation in with other stuff. Stuff you think you may need or feel that you want etc. They charge a pretty penny for it as well!  Why don't advertise that the maps they include in the navigation are a few years old..... If people knew the maps were a few years old they would be able to make an informed decision. Not only is it the right thing to do...it's the honest thing to do.

1 hour ago, onyxbfly said:

If people knew the maps were a few years old they would be able to make an informed decision.

But doesn't everyone already know that?  Nav systems have been installed in vehicles for decades now and they've always been out of date.  With the exception of Google (and possibly Apple) mapping products even Garmin and other dedicated GPS maps are dated.  My (really old) Garmin that gets four free updates each year is missing local roads completed a couple of years ago.  The Sync3 Map Update page says the most recent data for the update is the first quarter of 2018. 

If/when we really need maps and points of interest that are updated in near real time we have the option to use Google Maps or Waze sent to the car's nav screen from our phones.