Jump to content
Ford Edge Forum
jmr061

SYNC3 Map Updates Available On Line

Recommended Posts

Well, one week later and I don't see any significant change in the maps. Still not seeing streets I'm sure were there 4 years ago. Routes, not any different. So, for the money ............. meh. But, too late now I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if those of us who “updated” from MFT to Sync 3 will be able to install the map update?  

 

It sounds like the VINs and ESNs will identify actual Sync3 vehicles and units. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gortty-Pilot said:

Does anyone know if those of us who “updated” from MFT to Sync 3 will be able to install the map update?  

It sounds like the VINs and ESNs will identify actual Sync3 vehicles and units. 


I don't know but it costs you nothing to go to the update site and enter your VIN + ESN numbers.  Once you do that you'll either be taken to an update page or be told the numbers are bogus.  Give it a try!

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My download from the Sync site to my laptop worked fine.  Transferring the download to the USB stick failed multiple times with two different sticks.  I'm not shocked.  Very few of these downloads have done well for me over the years.  I've contacted my local dealership to see if they'll do the map update for free. 

 

We shall see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Davom97 said:

Transferring the download to the USB stick failed multiple times with two different sticks.  I'm not shocked.  Very few of these downloads have done well for me over the years.


That's kind of odd.  The file(s) should unzip easily to a USB drive.  If you're getting an error on your PC try a different unzip utility.

Where people normally have issues is with the vehicle reading the flash drive.  While Ford's instructions tell you to format the drive ExFat that frequently fails.  Format to FAT32 and the drives always work as long as the files are all in the root of the flash drive.  Give it a shot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a 12 page PDF called "Downloadinginstructions" provided by Ford and the typical Windows unzip process is never mentioned.  I know how to do that, but I was trying to follow Ford's very detailed step by step.  Silly me, but I should have known.  Very few of these Ford downloads have gone well for me down through the years.

 

To your point, the PDF also is clear that the format is to be exFAT.  I will try FAT32.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davom97 said:

There's a 12 page PDF called "Downloadinginstructions" provided by Ford and the typical Windows unzip process is never mentioned.  I know how to do that, but I was trying to follow Ford's very detailed step by step.  Silly me, but I should have known.  Very few of these Ford downloads have gone well for me down through the years.

 

To your point, the PDF also is clear that the format is to be exFAT.  I will try FAT32.  Thanks.

I am a little confused...you have a 2011 and are trying to use SYNC3 map updates?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, jmr061 said:

I am a little confused...you have a 2011 and are trying to use SYNC3 map updates?

I’m assuming the poster installed a sync 3 APIM like I did a few years ago.

 

I would like an updated map as well as sometimes I have no cell signal in National Parks or out in the boonies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jmr061 said:

I am a little confused...you have a 2011 and are trying to use SYNC3 map updates?

 

According to other posts he's just trying to do a normal sync/MFT software update, not maps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, sorry for the confusion guys.  My APIM finally died in my 2011 Edge and I bought a 2018 Fusion.  Can't find a Fusion Forum that comes close to the info here, so I came back here.  I do apologize.  Should have been clearer.

 

So yes, it's the Sync3 MAP update. 

 

Haven't heard back from my contact at the dealership. 

Edited by Davom97

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, but I just took a look.  Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Davom97 said:

 Can't find a Fusion Forum that comes close to the info here, so I came back here. 

 

Try this forum: http://www.2gfusions.net/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16 septembre 2019 at 8:03 AM, Gadgetjq said:


I don't know but it costs you nothing to go to the update site and enter your VIN + ESN numbers.  Once you do that you'll either be taken to an update page or be told the numbers are bogus.  Give it a try!

Cheers!

 

After entering my Edge's serial number, I tried entering the "ESN" number but it won't let me enter all the digits…only thew first 6 or 7 digits but not the whole number!… :headscratch:

 

Claude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 2FAST4U said:

 

After entering my Edge's serial number, I tried entering the "ESN" number but it won't let me enter all the digits…only thew first 6 or 7 digits but not the whole number!… :headscratch:

 

My ESN is a combination of 8 letters and numbers and I can enter all of them.  Are you on this site? https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 8:58 PM, Gortty-Pilot said:

Does anyone know if those of us who “updated” from MFT to Sync 3 will be able to install the map update?  

 

It sounds like the VINs and ESNs will identify actual Sync3 vehicles and units. 

My Edge is at the shop getting a run in with a parking garage fixed so I can’t get the ESN, but I’ll provide an update as soon as I get the chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my 2011 Edge with Sync3 and tried my VIN and ESN and I received an error message. Basically the system isn’t recognizing my VIN as compatible although I can call a phone number if I feel that there it is an error. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gortty-Pilot said:

Got my 2011 Edge with Sync3 and tried my VIN and ESN and I received an error message. Basically the system isn’t recognizing my VIN as compatible although I can call a phone number if I feel that there it is an error. 

A 2011 VIN and SYNC3 ESN will be an automatic fail.  The map updates are tied to the ESN and the VIN that ESN is registered to in OASIS.  Since a 2011 never came with SYNC3 its simply not possible to have that match in OASIS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×