SYNC3 Map Updates Available On Line

5 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

But doesn't everyone already know that?  Nav systems have been installed in vehicles for decades now and they've always been out of date.  With the exception of Google (and possibly Apple) mapping products even Garmin and other dedicated GPS maps are dated.  My (really old) Garmin that gets four free updates each year is missing local roads completed a couple of years ago.  The Sync3 Map Update page says the most recent data for the update is the first quarter of 2018. 

If/when we really need maps and points of interest that are updated in near real time we have the option to use Google Maps or Waze sent to the car's nav screen from our phones.

I purchased my car used. Had I purchased my car new I would have a legitimate concern with how old the maps on my new car.  No not everyone knows that the maps are out of date. 

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Why would the date of the maps determine if you want Nav or not when the maps are update able?   Either you want factory nav or you don't.  Sometimes it's bundled, sometimes not.  Depends on the vehicle and options.

How other vehicles are optioned out is not really the point. I am discussing the options that my edge sport with 401A package consist of.  Navigation is part of the 401A package. I drive from location to location for my work. If my cell coverage is down etc I should be able to rely on the navigation that i paid for.  Since I purchased my car used I assumed they would be out of date. If I purchased my car new I would have concerns.   Ford knows there maps are out of date. Why not simply say so and let the customer decide.

Are Ford's maps more out-of-date than other vehicles?  How out-of-date do you think it needs to be in order to be concerned?  1-month, 6 months, 1 year?  There are probably vehicles out there that have tires that are older than the maps, should Ford advise customers about that as well?  What about vehicles that have sat on a lot for 6 months?  Should Ford advise owner's to change the oil right away?  What about changes that have been made in production between the time a vehicle is built and when it is sold.  Should Ford advise customer's about those changes?

My point is there are 100s of things Ford "knows" about a vehicle that might cause you concern.  Do you really expect to be told about all of them?

It's not like an out-of-date map renders the system useless.  I'm sure that more than 99% of the map is still useful and you can rely on it.  I still have 2011 maps in one of my cars and I still use it regularly.

Edited by Waldo

I find it hilarious that people complain about roads not being in the database when they are roads near their house that they already know about or roads that they already travel.   That's not a problem.  The only problem is if you're looking for an address that you don't know and that's new and isn't in the database.   And I think that is extremely rare.  Happened to us a lot when we were looking for brand new subdivisions a couple of years ago but that would be the case with any maps because they were new within the last few months. 

I agree they could have made them free for all sync 3 owners but honestly I bet 98% of 15-17 owners wouldn't update anyway.  Personally I've never paid for a map update.

50 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Are Ford's maps more out-of-date than other vehicles?  How out-of-date do you think it needs to be in order to be concerned?  1-month, 6 months, 1 year?  There are probably vehicles out there that have tires that are older than the maps, should Ford advise customers about that as well?  What about vehicles that have sat on a lot for 6 months?  Should Ford advise owner's to change the oil right away?  What about changes that have been made in production between the time a vehicle is built and when it is sold.  Should Ford advise customer's about those changes?

My point is there are 100s of things Ford "knows" about a vehicle that might cause you concern.  Do you really expect to be told about all of them?

It's not like an out-of-date map renders the system useless.  I'm sure that more than 99% of the map is still useful and you can rely on it.  I still have 2011 maps in one of my cars and I still use it regularly.

Not to mention if they're not outdated today they will be in another year or two.  They don't stay current forever.

17 hours ago, Waldo said:

Just a few months after purchasing my 2017 Sport new, I got a Sync3 update free, and a couple more free Sync3 updates over the past couple of years - using your reasoning, shouldn't they have charged for that?

At the time of purchase the maps were around three years old - yes I can get by with them, but its not unreasonable to expect more frequent map updates (free or paid).

2 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Just a few months after purchasing my 2017 Sport new, I got a Sync3 update free, and a couple more free Sync3 updates over the past couple of years - using your reasoning, shouldn't they have charged for that?

No because that is Ford's software - no licensing fees.   Ford has to pay a 3rd party for new maps.

1 hour ago, handfiler said:

I don't understand the concern with keeping the factory navigation maps up to date in 2019. Android Auto and Apple car play should be the default of choice for navigation. Always up to date and far better than 3rd party maps. I'd rather spend the money saved on ?

Or Waze on applink.   I don't like Carplay.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2019 at 1:17 PM, jmr061 said:

Curious if anyone with a 19 has completed the map update yet and is it reporting 1-18 maps in the "about" page of general settings.  

Tried the update on my 19 ST last week and again this weekend  but no changes; it continues to display the previous "About" information - i.e NA 1 17 Map version and same gracenote version.

Tried 3 different times, even re-downloaded the software just in case. still no changes to the original "About" info.

What is odd is it took only about 35 minutes to give me the restart message and after the updated is finished message.

Think it's not taking. I'm running Sync 3.0 Version 3.3.

I was going to do the updates on the Wife's 2018 Escape TI this weekend to see if it's specific to the 2019; but she got  T-boned/rammed by F150 who ran a red light on Wednesday. So no escape for now. 

38 minutes ago, ONEDGE16 said:

Tried the update on my 19 ST last week and again this weekend  but no changes<snip>What is odd is it took only about 35 minutes to give me the restart message and after the updated is finished message.

Some are advising that we ignore that first 'done' message.  Eventually the system continues the update and reboots THEN you're updated.  Minimum update time I've seen is about 50 minutes.

17 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

Some are advising that we ignore that first 'done' message.  Eventually the system continues the update and reboots THEN you're updated.  Minimum update time I've seen is about 50 minutes.

Tried that too. No luck on the 19 ST.

In fact plugged in the USB this morning while out for a drive, 40 minutes in, tells me all done and I can remove the USB. Continues driving for another 30 minutes no additional updates or messages

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to provide an update for those who ‘updated’ from MFT to Sync3.

I purchased a navigation APIM/screen from a 2017 MKZ from LKQ and used the provided MKZ VIN and the APIM Sync Serial Number (ESN) and was able to purchase ($109)and download Navigation Maps Version: NA 1 18. 

The map download did not check the VIN on my 2011 Edge but it did check the ESN. The ESN/APIM must be the same ONE used to purchase online or else the update will not install. 

Those of you who don’t have the VIN of a navigation compatible vehicle appear be out of luck. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2019 at 1:07 PM, akirby said:

Or Waze on applink.   I don't like Carplay.

Applink support is ending, but still works for now. I used to use it before upgrading my USB module to a CarPlay compatible version. I found that the applink worked decent, but still a bit laggy compared to CarPlay

On 9/26/2019 at 8:38 AM, akirby said:

I don't like either one.  I prefer to use Sync 3 for everything else including music.  Just a personal preference.

Do you just use your phone and text over Bluetooth?

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, M-R-E-D-G-E said:

I did the update 3 time so far.  Still says 1 18.

You're up to date.....it worked!  V1.18 map is current (as the number indicates) to the first quarter of 2018 and is the latest release for the Edge.  Presumably at some point in 2020 the maps will be current as of Q1 2019 and so forth.  For truly up to date information we have to rely on Waze or Google Maps.