SYNC3 Map Updates Available On Line

17 hours ago, M-R-E-D-G-E said:

Ok thanks for the Info.  I was already on V1.18 before I did the update.  So I guess everyone get the generic email saying theres a new update available even if you don't need it.

The update took about 30 min.  I used a SSD external drive.  

Regarding the email you got...did you update SYNC or the MAPS, its two different updates.  

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, F4Gary said:

So what version does it update to?  I have 3.0  and 1 15 on my 17 Sport.  I understand the 1 18 but what will my 3.0 update to?  3.8?  3.9?

Also, when do you guys think the 1 19 update may come out.  I may just wait.

Updating the map (latest is 1.18) doesn't update Sync.  They're separate updates 'unless' you try the two usb update to Sync 3.4.  That's a side load, not available directly from Ford but updates the map along with Sync.  When map V1.19 will be released is anyone's guess.  V 1.18 was posted late last year if that's any guide.

9 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

Updating the map (latest is 1.18) doesn't update Sync.  They're separate updates 'unless' you try the two usb update to Sync 3.4.  That's a side load, not available directly from Ford but updates the map along with Sync.  When map V1.19 will be released is anyone's guess.  V 1.18 was posted late last year if that's any guide.

Roger that.  Went to the Sync update site and it says I'm up to date but the car says I have Software version 3.0, build 19205.

Is there a list that shows the different current version for each year/model?  I.e. some on here talk about 3.3 or 3.4 yet you say 3.0 is current in my car.  I'm just curious and trying to keep updated.

Will probably go ahead and get the newer map update.  With out Honda I would do it every 2 or 3 years.

1 hour ago, F4Gary said:

Is there a list that shows the different current version for each year/model?  I.e. some on here talk about 3.3 or 3.4 yet you say 3.0 is current in my car.

Hi Gary,

There's a 'lot' of confusion between Sync versions and Map versions.  This thread started out discussing a new map update and has since morphed into talk about both (probably adding to the confusion.)

To answer your question, there's no formal list that I'm aware of but as a general guide (and we're talking Sync versions here, not map) Edge's 2015 and earlier are on Sync 1 or 2 (aka My Touch).  For 2016 to 2018 it's Sync3 V3 and the latest build is 19205.  I believe Sync 3 V3 is available for 2019 and later Edge. 

Sync 3.4 is not an official Ford offering for the Edge but can be side loaded from other online sources.

Cheers!

BTW,  it's helpful if you provide basic information about your Edge year/model/engine.  Maybe add it to your profile or add a sig?  
Did you fly the F4?   A friend who did claimed it was proof positive if you strapped a big enough engine to it a brick could fly.  ;)

Edited by Gadgetjq

I received the NAV map update available email two weeks ago.  I went to the site, entered my VIN and ESN and was informed that there was an updated map version available for my 2019 Edge ST.   My maps were already at NA 1-18 so I assumed  the upgrade would be to NA 1-19.   I downloaded, decompressed and copied the update to my thumb drive and waited for an opportunity to install it. 

The opportunity arose yesterday when we were asked if we could watch our grand kids that lived ~45 minutes away.  To be sure that I would allow enough time, I started the car and plugged in the thumb drive about 20 minutes before we left.  Upon starting my car, the install initialization went perfect.  The install process caused several resets and intermediate  complete screens during the 45 minute drive ( ~50 minutes of actual  install time).  When I got a complete screen that remained on the display,  I drove for another 10 minutes before arriving at our destination, removing the thumb drive and performing the on/off cycle. The install appeared to have been perfect except that when I checked the NAV map version it was still NA 1-18.

I agree with the previous post that stated just because you receive a Nav map available email and  the website, through VIN and ESN authentication, indicates specifically that there is an update available for your vehicle, that your vehicle may not need the update. 

To prevent the waste of time and gas,  the third party map supplier should have indicated the update map version available for your specific vehicle after the VIN and ESN authentication.  The version of the update could also have been indicated during the install initialization on the screen.

It would appear that the  third party and Ford(?) were not acting in good faith by offering 2018 and 2019 owners  free map upgrades.   Instead, they were simply trying to eliminate the headache in having to refund the NAV map update charge to those who were irresponsibly sold  incorrect map update versions for their vehicles.  

• 5 months later...
On 9/6/2019 at 9:18 AM, 1004ron said:

Did the download on my MacBook Pro, and the vehicle wont respond to the USB, put it in my old Windows laptop and it doesn't read it, which explains why the car wont.

Going to try the whole process again with Windows.

Edit: lesson learnt, use my Windows laptop for this type of thing.

Its installed and map version went from NA 1 15 to NA 1 18 , and my street shows.

Almost a year later and NA 1 19 is released.

Think I'll skip this one and save the $109