Bronco101

2.0L Ecoboost Coolant Leak

45 minutes ago, GatorMoni said:

Can we extend our warranties? I have to look and see what I signed up for when I bought this car used last year. 

Wait, you don't get a call from someone named Leslie or Suzie a couple of times a week offering to extend your warranty?  image.png.835aced7e0a7a3c5d13b0a9768f1e212.png

• Haha 3

On 5/18/2021 at 7:17 PM, CrackedDSM said:

How hard would it be to swap in the 2.3 from the mustang or the focus RS? They’ve got the headgasket issues pretty well licked. And it’d be a nice little bump in power. 😄

Easy as pie. Everything bolts up in fact some guys build the 2.3 out of 2.0 blocks to get rid of the open deck. I am not one but I have my 4K miles rs engine and turbo waiting for my 2.0 to fail but it hasn’t even being tuned for over 100k 

My 2016 Edge with 95k just started losing coolant. Like others no sign of an external leak.  Losing about 5-6oz per day.  I’ve been watching it since I first read about this problem last year.  Guess it’s my turn.  Anyway, has anyone tried Blue Devil head gasket sealer?  I used that on an old Mazda3 head gasket leak with good results.  I’m thinking to try it here too.  

12 minutes ago, Tcinci said:

My 2016 Edge with 95k just started losing coolant. Like others no sign of an external leak.  Losing about 5-6oz per day.  I’ve been watching it since I first read about this problem last year.  Guess it’s my turn.  Anyway, has anyone tried Blue Devil head gasket sealer?  I used that on an old Mazda3 head gasket leak with good results.  I’m thinking to try it here too.  

Not a long term fix, and unlikely it will be effective for this type of head gasket issue, but you've got nothing to lose.

A friend of mine has just installed a new engine with nothing offered from Ford - they said that he'd need to pay for a strip-down and diagnostics and only then would they decided if they would extend any "good will".

• Sad 1

Why isn’t this just a head gasket change? Or if it’s the head casting that’s micro racking the a head change. I don’t understand the block change. 

12 hours ago, Tcinci said:

Why isn’t this just a head gasket change? Or if it’s the head casting that’s micro racking the a head change. I don’t understand the block change. 

Because it’s a flaw in the block coolant passages.  They used a slot and that lead to cracking in the block.  They changed it to a drilled passage.

Had a misfire code on the #3 cylinder. Pulled the plug a noticed it was wet. Replaced plug and car still ran a little rough.

My wife called me and said the car wouldn't start. Supposedly the car hydro locked. Took it to the shop and  was told it 

probably needs a long block which is on national backorder with Ford with no release date. Really regretting buying this

car. 75000 miles and I need an engine. I have owned nothing but Fords since 86, this may be my last.

work with ford corporate to see if they will share the cost of the new engine with you.  be nice but firm. you never know. sometimes you can find a law firm that has filed suit for this problem and request a mediation if ford is not forthcoming just to you.

20 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

work with ford corporate to see if they will share the cost of the new engine with you.  be nice but firm. you never know. sometimes you can find a law firm that has filed suit for this problem and request a mediation if ford is not forthcoming just to you.

I gave the same advice to my friend, but the only way Ford would consider any form of compensation was for him to commit to covering the bill of a strip-down and diagnostics, and he wasn't prepared to risk paying that and the price of a new engine.

He got a new long block from Ford and an independent service shop installed it.

• Like 1

well, as with any other well known problem that ford has issued tsbs but not recalls for, keep the bills handy, explore options with legal counsel to get recompensed.  i would not give up on the legal angle. the coolant level should have been dropping, there may be a misfire with or without code, and the plug in the misfiring cylinder as well as the piston/valves should look remarkably clean.