20" wheels

hjl1949

mine started this past week. Not noticeable unless the driver window is down and your going really slow. . .

In my situation, the noise started a few weeks after I got my Edge, at first a very subtle clicking, but as time went on the clicking got worst. It's been near 4 months now and, as I said in a previous post, the noise is now so loud people are worried for me. Curiously, I can't hear the noise with all windows rolled up (nice sound proofing Ford).

By the way, Ford has determined that the noise will occur when cornering at less than 16 Kmh (10mph).

In my situation, the noise started a few weeks after I got my Edge, at first a very subtle clicking, but as time went on the clicking got worst. It's been near 4 months now and, as I said in a previous post, the noise is now so loud people are worried for me. Curiously, I can't hear the noise with all windows rolled up (nice sound proofing Ford).

By the way, Ford has determined that the noise will occur when cornering at less than 16 Kmh (10mph).

I'd agree with that. For us, it happens in slow to medium cornering (5 kmh to 30 ish kmh). It also happens when the weight load shifts significantly at each wheel (driving over uneven/ heaved pavement).

Also, believe it or not, it also happens when it's parked in the driveway and turned off. Every time there is a sunny day and the sun shines directly on the wheels (keep in mind I'm at 45 deg N Lat) and I'm standing in the driveway doing something, I hear "click....click..click click.." as the sun heats up the plastic wheel covers...

- Steve

I'd agree with that. For us, it happens in slow to medium cornering (5 kmh to 30 ish kmh). It also happens when the weight load shifts significantly at each wheel (driving over uneven/ heaved pavement).

Also, believe it or not, it also happens when it's parked in the driveway and turned off. Every time there is a sunny day and the sun shines directly on the wheels (keep in mind I'm at 45 deg N Lat) and I'm standing in the driveway doing something, I hear "click....click..click click.." as the sun heats up the plastic wheel covers...

- Steve

Steve,

I have also noticed the "driveway clicking" as the sun heats up the plastic covers! I hope they fix this.. I'm on my 2nd set - I'll get them replaced (again) when they get the problem fixed.

• 4 weeks later...
Steve,

I have also noticed the "driveway clicking" as the sun heats up the plastic covers! I hope they fix this.. I'm on my 2nd set - I'll get them replaced (again) when they get the problem fixed.

After reading the postings, I can say that I'm not alone. I have the identical clicking noises on slow turns and in park. I have had a total of 3 rims replaced and now I'm waiting on "Ford Engineering". I went to my dealer 5 times and spoke with Ford Canada 3 times. Same story. It is extremely frustrating. My vehicle acted like this 1 week after being brand new. Would you expect to spend this kind of money on a brand new vehicle that is broken? Especially when you paid extra for this option? I am disappointed in Ford. Customer Service is garbage, they do not stand behind their product. Warranty is useless....6 months without a fix? I see New Ford Edges on the lot with the same 20" rims. They either have a fix, or they continue to sell junk at added cost. Again...good for the reputation. Things like this don't help Ford in these difficult times.

After reading the postings, I can say that I'm not alone. I have the identical clicking noises on slow turns and in park. I have had a total of 3 rims replaced and now I'm waiting on "Ford Engineering". I went to my dealer 5 times and spoke with Ford Canada 3 times. Same story. It is extremely frustrating. My vehicle acted like this 1 week after being brand new. Would you expect to spend this kind of money on a brand new vehicle that is broken? Especially when you paid extra for this option? I am disappointed in Ford. Customer Service is garbage, they do not stand behind their product. Warranty is useless....6 months without a fix? I see New Ford Edges on the lot with the same 20" rims. They either have a fix, or they continue to sell junk at added cost. Again...good for the reputation. Things like this don't help Ford in these difficult times.

I agree it's frustrating and shouldn't happen. But in cases like this they first have to determine why this is happening, then they have to determine how to correct it. Sometimes it's a no-brainer but other times it's very difficult especially if they have to pick a different material or create a new design. In those cases they also have to make sure the new material/design will hold up over time - wouldn't help to fix one problem but create another one. Even after the fix is determined, it has to be fed back into the manufacturing chain including outside suppliers. Once the factory is up to speed they have to ramp up to meet production demand and cover replacements.

If it was simply a defective material that can be corrected much more quickly and easily. I'm not making excuses - this shouldn't happen in the first place. But sometimes it's not as easy as one might assume.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree it's frustrating and shouldn't happen. But in cases like this they first have to determine why this is happening, then they have to determine how to correct it. Sometimes it's a no-brainer but other times it's very difficult especially if they have to pick a different material or create a new design. In those cases they also have to make sure the new material/design will hold up over time - wouldn't help to fix one problem but create another one. Even after the fix is determined, it has to be fed back into the manufacturing chain including outside suppliers. Once the factory is up to speed they have to ramp up to meet production demand and cover replacements.

If it was simply a defective material that can be corrected much more quickly and easily. I'm not making excuses - this shouldn't happen in the first place. But sometimes it's not as easy as one might assume.

I just saw a 2009 on the lot. It has the identical 20" rims that are causing me grief. Do they have a fix, or are they still selling defective equipment. Ford cannot answer this question.

Hi All.... Just purchased a 2008 Limited last week and love it. Vapor Silver, Char Black interior.

I went with the 20" Chrome wheels because the sticker says: 20" Wheels/Sport Suspension" and was more interested in getting a sport suspension than the 20" wheels.

Does anyone know if there really is a difference in the suspension with the 20" wanna be chrome wheels - vs - the suspension that comes with the 18" wheels?

Thanks everyone !

• 4 weeks later...

"This is the first wheel of its kind so naturally there are initial problems." If akirby read my post carefully you would see that your statement is not true.

You also speak of being patient, new $35k vehicle with problems since new 6/08 and 6 months later still no fix? Is that patient enough? Are you a Ford employee? seems like you are full of excuses.

Anyone have a update about the clicking noise? I have without any help from Ford narrowed it down to the center caps on the front wheels.

If the center caps are removed, the wheels no longer make noise. Seems like it's the retention spring wire that holds the center cap in place.

FORD ARE YOU LISTENING !

Just wondering if anyone knows how much it costs for a new cap? I kinda tried hopping a curb and scratched one up.

Any idea?

Hi 91renegade. :D I do not know the prices off the top of my head. Also, you do not mention if you have an Edge or MKX, the model year, what size and style wheel it is equipped with, which cap etc.

However, you can call your local Ford (or Lincoln-Mercury) Dealer Parts Department and ask them for a price quote. They will most likely quote you the MSRP (Retail) price.

You can also try one of these online Ford Parts Wholesalers, where you may be able to obtain a better price:

LINK:Team Ford Parts

LINK: Direct Ford Parts

You can either search their online parts databases for the price, or call them.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

"This is the first wheel of its kind so naturally there are initial problems." If akirby read my post carefully you would see that your statement is not true.

You also speak of being patient, new $35k vehicle with problems since new 6/08 and 6 months later still no fix? Is that patient enough? Are you a Ford employee? seems like you are full of excuses.

I was talking about these being the first 20" chrome clad wheels that FORD has produced. The fact that Dodge had them already doesn't help Ford figuring out how to make them.

I'm not a Ford employee, but I understand what goes on behind the scenes with these types of problems and it's a lot harder than most people realize.

Yes, 6 months is a long time and Ford should have figured this out by now. No excuses.

• 3 weeks later...

21K miles on my '08. Crusin' thru drive-thru on Monday and... click, click, click... almost like a baseball card in your bicycle spokes... Took into dealer today and after about 30 minutes service guy came out to say there was a pending service bulletin for the cladding on the wheels. Had a call into Ford and asked if I could hang until they called back. No problem. He came back in about 15 minutes and said new wheels were on order and all 4 would be replaced per Ford. "Cladding" was separating from rest of rim.

Anyone heard of an update in regards to the processing of the clad/wheels? Just curious as to the revision-level of the replacements.

Got a call back from Service on Saturday. Ford Engineering contacted them after receiving pics of the wheels (a requirement of the system for a visual issue?). They are aware of the issue and do not have an answer to the problem as of yet from a design/process standpoint. They are working on a "band-aid" (my word, not theirs) as they will NOT be replacing wheels going forward but will be re-affixing the cladding to the wheel. There is not safety impact to the condition so I am to continue to drive it with the noise until they come up with the "super glue" (again me, not them) needed to fix it at which point they will issue a TSB for all to see. HUH!??!?!!? Still not sure what to do or say....

Thoughts?

• 1 month later...
or you could go all the way and replace the vehicle with this. . .

2008poster1.jpg

mybullittfront.jpg

Anybody...any word yet??? This is ridiculous. I bought a brand new vehicle to enjoy it, not to remain frustrated with clicking noises. In my opinion, Ford can't afford to fix their problems. I ask the question again....Why are there new Edges on the lot with these 20" rims? Did they fix the issue?????

• 4 months later...
Anybody...any word yet??? This is ridiculous. I bought a brand new vehicle to enjoy it, not to remain frustrated with clicking noises. In my opinion, Ford can't afford to fix their problems. I ask the question again....Why are there new Edges on the lot with these 20" rims? Did they fix the issue?????

I have all four wheels doing this. Over the last 4 months, they have been replacing 2 at a time to see if the "revised version" that the service manager claims exists do indeed work. They do not, and click worse than the originals. I have left this with the service mgr for a couple days, but he's been told either Ford replaces them with a working version, whether Edge rims or some other 20" from Ford that works, or we want the money back that we paid Ford for the upgraded rims, and we'll go find a 3rd party rim. I'm sick and tired of the clickity clickity every day, and tired of people staring as I drive past.

• 1 month later...
waiting on a return phone call. thanks.

I supposedly have a set of the new wheels and they click worse than the previous. The local ford factory rep went for a ride to hear it for himself. He said he's never heard of the problem. I sent him for a ride with our sales rep and the service manager, and I gave him a copy of this thread. He heard the clicking. Still waiting to hear as well.

I supposedly have a set of the new wheels and they click worse than the previous. The local ford factory rep went for a ride to hear it for himself. He said he's never heard of the problem. I sent him for a ride with our sales rep and the service manager, and I gave him a copy of this thread. He heard the clicking. Still waiting to hear as well.

that is just great news :censored: ... after 3 hours of no call from my dealer - I called back... "do you want to make and appointment" NO I want to talk to somebody... "Well we have to see it".... you already have... "OK.. Do you want the service manager you call you back".... YES :banghead: sounds like a waste of my time if your "new wheels" are still clicking!

that is just great news :censored: ... after 3 hours of no call from my dealer - I called back... "do you want to make and appointment" NO I want to talk to somebody... "Well we have to see it".... you already have... "OK.. Do you want the service manager you call you back".... YES :banghead: sounds like a waste of my time if your "new wheels" are still clicking!

I have left a message for the service manager to call me to see if he has any news yet...

I have left a message for the service manager to call me to see if he has any news yet...

Ford said they had the fix. I sent my car back in for the 4th time. The click came from the other side now. I brought it back in and they fixed the other side. However, after a few weeks of driving, they are clicking as they did since day 1. Customer service is disappointing. Definitely not a priority for ford. Heck they already made the sale, so what do they care. Total BS, because they are selling 20" wheels on the 2009, 2010 vehicles. Instead of replacing these wheels, it seems like they keep spraying some sort of lubricant.