No Ford Performance Parts for ST ?

AMulally

Happen to take a  look over at https://performanceparts.ford.com and to my surprise there's no parts for the ST available ? I still see the availability of parts for Focus ST, Fiesta, et' al, but again - seems surprising that Ford would not have some parts available by now, if they did indeed ever intend to.

18 minutes ago, AMulally said:

Happen to take a  look over at https://performanceparts.ford.com and to my surprise there's no parts for the ST available ? I still see the availability of parts for Focus ST, Fiesta, et' al, but again - seems surprising that Ford would not have some parts available by now, if they did indeed ever intend to.

What type of Performance Parts, that aren't shared with the Sport, did you have in mind? 

7 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

What type of Performance Parts, that aren't shared with the Sport, did you have in mind? 

I'd like to see some add'l brake [I do have the performance brake option], exhaust, suspension and some interior upgrades as well  - like a flat bottom steering wheel. The listing for the Focus ST is fairly comprehensive: https://performanceparts.ford.com/focus/

Ford does not consider the Edge Sport/ ST performance vehicles thus the lack of parts available for the edge.  They never have. The edge sport debuted in 2009, not a single part was available on the ford performance site. 8 years later and there still aren't any parts.

The majority of performance mods/ parts will transfer over from the sport to the ST.  The parts we do have for the edge sport are due to the hard work and tenacity of our very own forum members.

Special shout out to  @snmjim @Special_K @Nick Halstead @Xtra (apologies to anyone that I missed)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

Ford does not consider the Edge Sport/ ST performance vehicles thus the lack of parts available for the edge.  They never have. The edge sport debuted in 2009, not a single part was available on the ford performance site. 8 years later and there still aren't any parts.

The majority of performance mods/ parts will transfer over from the sport to the ST.  The parts we do have for the edge sport are due to the hard work and tenacity of our very own forum members.

Special shout out to  @snmjim @Special_K @Nick Halstead @Xtra (apologies to anyone that I missed)

This is a recurring subject. One would think a twin turbo CUV would have a host of parts. The problem, Ford does not offer it as such. It is just a trim to Corporate. 

Most parts as stated have come from the end user sourcing parts from small manufacturer's, this really does not catch the eye of big aftermarket companies but it does gain us parts and puts money into small mom and pop shops. Also, the Edge does not "appeal" to those particularly in the automotive aftermarket community. This Forum and Facebook is where I see most male drivers. Since 2015 I think I can count on one hand how many male drivers I have seen in person. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, AMulally said:

I'd like to see some add'l brake [I do have the performance brake option], exhaust, suspension and some interior upgrades as well  - like a flat bottom steering wheel. The listing for the Focus ST is fairly comprehensive: https://performanceparts.ford.com/focus/

Performance brake option means nothing sadly, just red calipers.

I've had the ford parts guy cross reference on multiple occasions.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

Ford has always listed it as a performance vehicle. They even brag about it being redesigned by the ford performance team specifically vs the sport. 

https://performance.ford.com/ lists it and its listed on the main website under performance models. I think budget is a concern.. They haven't even updated to a 2019 catalog.

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

Ford has always listed it as a performance vehicle. They even brag about it being redesigned by the ford performance team specifically vs the sport. 

https://performance.ford.com/ lists it and its listed on the main website under performance models. I think budget is a concern.. They haven't even updated to a 2019 catalog.

Capture.PNG

This makes me chuckle in all the right places.  The ST is heavier, weaker and worse in pretty much every way possible except traction, than the sport

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Special_K said:

This makes me chuckle in all the right places.  The ST is heavier, weaker and worse in pretty much every way possible except traction, than the sport

Not sure how you figure that.. Its heavier yes but stock for stock they are nearly identical in 0-60 despite a weight disadvantage. The ST is absolutely superior in twists and stopping. Comfort is subjective but my opinion the ST is a better ride, Definitely better seats and overall look. Handful of drivers aids that are very useful. 

Edited by Fingernip

2 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

Not sure how you figure that.. Its heavier yes but stock for stock they are nearly identical in 0-60 despite a weight disadvantage. The ST is absolutely superior in twists and stopping. 

have you tried to tune it? the 8 speed is a far weaker transmission than the 6F55.  Put the same summer tire combo on the sport and it will out handle the ST.  Im sorry but the ST is a down grade in performance wise when compared to the sport with same tire/wheel combo.  

• Like 1

Just now, Special_K said:

have you tried to tune it? the 8 speed is a far weaker transmission than the 6F55.  Put the same summer tire combo on the sport and it will out handle the ST.  Im sorry but the ST is a down grade in performance wise when compared to the sport with same tire/wheel combo.  

You are going to base your entire argument on available tunes? The sport had an equal tune in the same time frame from release. You only got the big numbers tune after a half dozen revisions. 

Your also completely guessing about the 8F57 being weaker than the 6F55. Fact is the 8F57 has a nigher torque rating than the 6F55. We have yet to see any 8F57 failures outside of manufacturing issues (6F55 had its share) but the limiting factor of the tunes is not so much how hard they can push it, it is the tuners reluctance to haphazardly release big power tunes on an untested platform. Apples to apples (same tires) the ST absolutely has advantage in suspension tuning. It will out handle a sport without a doubt. To argue against this point suggests you have not driven both. 

1 minute ago, Fingernip said:

You are going to base your entire argument on available tunes? The sport had an equal tune in the same time frame from release. You only got the big numbers tune after a half dozen revisions. 

Your also completely guessing about the 8F57 being weaker than the 6F55. Fact is the 8F57 has a nigher torque rating than the 6F55. We have yet to see any 8F57 failures outside of manufacturing issues (6F55 had its share) but the limiting factor of the tunes is not so much how hard they can push it, it is the tuners reluctance to haphazardly release big power tunes on an untested platform. Apples to apples (same tires) the ST absolutely has advantage in suspension tuning. It will out handle a sport without a doubt. To argue against this point suggests you have not driven both. 

I have thoroughly driven both, sport is hands down the better vehicle.

also i hope we arent ignoring Motortrend results:

the ST on 93 did it in 6.1. which is .1 faster than a sport on 87 and .4 slower than a sport on 93

stock 93 octane ST 1/4- 14.7
stock 93 octane Sport 1/4 - 14.3

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Special_K said:

I have thoroughly driven both, sport is hands down the better vehicle.

also i hope we arent ignoring Motortrend results:

the ST on 93 did it in 6.1. which is .1 faster than a sport on 87 and .4 slower than a sport on 93

stock 93 octane ST 1/4- 14.7
stock 93 octane Sport 1/4 - 14.3

We have thrown away motor-trends results long ago.  We even have a user here with a draggy 1/4 mile under 14 seconds. Car and drivers numbers don't even match MTs by nearly a second. 

4 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

You are the one in the ST thread trolling with selective "facts" just to back up your opinion. Randomly derailing a thread to try and make you feel better about your purchase?

not trolling, i hold the record, dont see any ST's near it let alone with in a second of it...... and not that for the past 2 years i helped develop performance parts for the platform, your right i must not know a thing ?

Edited by Special_K
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Special_K said:

not trolling, i hold the record, dont see any ST's near it let alone with in a second of it...... so enjoy your day.

You also enjoy a tune that has been developed for 4 years vs an under 1 year old tune. Your record was mid 12s? I'm sure we have some STs in low 13s if not breaking into 12s with the current Rev 3 tune and TSB updates. Last I checked we had a boost fooled ST just about in the 12s. The LMS Rev 3 is only good for about 50hp total, its mostly shift improvements and some boost at launch. 

7 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

You also enjoy a tune that has been developed for 4 years vs an under 1 year old tune. Your record was mid 12s? I'm sure we have some STs in low 13s if not breaking into 12s with the current Rev 3 tune and TSB updates. Last I checked we had a boost fooled ST just about in the 12s. The LMS Rev 3 is only good for about 50hp total, its mostly shift improvements and some boost at launch. 

uh 12.2 @ 115.19 while spinning through 1st and 2nd....  

And its literally the same engine, the same engine tune applies, different trans tune. to my knowledge no ST has seen a 12 yet.  You really are locking horns with the wrong guy, my man.  After developing and tuning this platform for 2+ years, i have been around the block a few times and understand what parts and components affect these vehicles the most..... the trans is not it.

P.S. - .started out on a stock tune 3 weeks ago and now have a platform record, not to null and void your point.....again.

Edited by Special_K
  • Like 3

Just now, Fingernip said:

Capture.PNG

This was my point; it's definitely listed as "performance vehicle" by ford - hence why I was surprised not to see any parts available for the Edge ST, but there are for every other vehicle categorized by Ford as "performance". Yes it''s true there are mostly female drivers for the Edge that I see, but not the ST which I've only seen male drivers. Same goes for the Explorer: definitely a chick SUV until you get to the Sport model. 

Edited by AMulally

Just now, Special_K said:

uh 12.2 @ 115.19 while spinning through 1st and 2nd.  

And its literally the same engine, the same engine tune applies, different trans tune. to my knowledge no ST has seen a 12 yet.  You really are locking horns with the wrong guy, my man.  After developing and tuning this platform for 2+ years, i have been around the block a few times and understand what parts and components affect these vehicles the most..... the trans is not it.

P.S. - .started out on a stock tune 3 weeks ago and now have a platform record, not to null and void your point.....again.

Totally new computer/fuel control system and trans. If they were the same we would be able to use the same tune. Talked directly to the LMS guys about this. They seem pretty annoyed with the misinformation. You should know better than anyone then.. The tunes available for the sport ramped up very similarly.  They didn't just get a E30 tune or a 100+hp 93 octain tune in just 1 year. They got years of customer nagging and updates that gradually increased power as the tuners learned how the system would react. 

1 minute ago, AMulally said:

This was my point; it's definitely listed as "performance vehicle" by ford - hence why I was surprised not to see any parts available for the Edge ST, but there are for every other vehicle categorized by Ford as "performance". Yes it''s true there are mostly female drivers for the Edge that I see, but not the ST which I'e only seen male drivers. Same goes for the Explorer: definitely a chick SUV until you get to the Sport model. 

They haven't even released the 2019 catalog yet. I suspect they are working with very minimal resources.