No Ford Performance Parts for ST ?

AMulally

3 hours ago, akirby said:

I think you'll see more on the new platform vehicles.   Edge/Nautilus/Fusion/MKZ are all dead men walking on CD4 so they're just not going to invest much.

That statement could have been wrote in 2014 also as we were waiting for CD4 and for it to fulfill all of our dreams.

That line just gave me instant flashback man...wow

12 hours ago, Fingernip said:

I have 3 other STs in my town/local commute alone. Went to the movies 3 days after i bought it and saw 2 in the parking lot. This was January mind you.  I agree the Audi SQ5 is a real performance SUV but it is also $10,000 more than an edge ST and carries a heritage the Edge does not. If Ford were to simply support it and offer aftermarket parts would it change your minds as to if it is a performance vehicle? I think Ford is purely reactive and would respond if there were enough demand. Honestly though I feel the cars today are too capable in stock form. People buy an Edge ST after owning a Honda CRV and are blown away by how quick it is. They don't end up hunting the web for go fast parts. A focus ST yes its fun but its not fast.. you almost need to upgrade for its full potential while a CUV like the Edge feels like you are nearly at the edge of useful performance with such a large platform. The F150 modders are usually drag racers and its a thrill to make something fast that seems as if it shouldn't be. Blowing ricer doors off with your log cabin on wheels.  This is just my opinion.... I sometimes am tempted by the tunes and want a bit more power but then i strap my 5 year old into his seat and I'm suddenly content again. I want to push the edge but then reality pulls me back to realize if i want something faster I can drive my Lincoln or buy a model X. 

I don't want to keep this going, but you have been here long enough to know Ford is not reactive to anything with the Edge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

That statement could have been wrote in 2014 also as we were waiting for CD4 and for it to fulfill all of our dreams.

That line just gave me instant flashback man...wow

Written, not wrote.   And the new cd4 Edge debuted with the 2.7L twin turbo engine.  The new performance models will probably be hybrids like the Corsair and Aviator GTs.

Nothing new for Ford.  They have done pseudo-support for non Mustang and F150 performance oriented vehicles for decades now.  Mostly because that is where the numbers say to put the resources.  You saw advances in the Taurus and Explorer platforms in 2013 solely because they have a huge LEO fleet market to consider, and then of course defray the expenditure by spreading the goodies around to civilian model lines.

They produced the Edge ST to make a change just for the sake of change?  Maybe, maybe not.  There wasn't really an Edge SPORT till the 2015 model year.  Lipstick on a pig till then with all the bling - the bling was done quite well tho :)

Even their FPS offerings for STs are not really for true enthusiasts.  It does get you factory warranty with the upgrades, but the quality is just a starting line.  Aftermarket is still where it is.

I think they are really wanting to not do anything till the refresh when we will see an option for a hybrid, like we have seen with the new Explorer.

What IS exciting to me is that the Corsair has the 2.3L EB option.  Although tuning might be hobbled as it was with the 3.0EB for the Continental and MKZ, still it opens the door!

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

3 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

What IS exciting to me is that the Corsair has the 2.3L EB option.  Although tuning might be hobbled as it was with the 3.0EB for the Continental and MKZ, still it opens the door!

Umm....MKC has had the 2.3LEB option from day one, so that's nothing new.  Or were you talking about the Corsair GT PHEV?

• Like 1

No, I was talking about the 2.3.  We have previously seen it in the Explorer.  But to have that engine crammed into an MKC with the reputation the engine has thanks to the Mustang community gives me a glimmer of hope that we would see upgrades to it like have been developed for the gen 2 sport.  Of course, nobody hotrods a Lincoln anymore, right ;)  So may be a task for someone who purchases an MKC as a second owner etc.  I think it is a gem in the rough.  Maybe even a retrofit project for 2.0EB based vehicles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

No, I was talking about the 2.3.  We have previously seen it in the Explorer.  But to have that engine crammed into an MKC with the reputation the engine has thanks to the Mustang community gives me a glimmer of hope that we would see upgrades to it like have been developed for the gen 2 sport.  Of course, nobody hotrods a Lincoln anymore, right ;)  So may be a task for someone who purchases an MKC as a second owner etc.  I think it is a gem in the rough.  Maybe even a retrofit project for 2.0EB based vehicles.

My mother just replaced her 2.3T MKC with another 2.3T MKC, the Corsair was not out in time for when her lease ended in September so she had to order the MKC instead, I say order because not many dealers order them with the 20 inch wheels like she wanted or the color she wanted.  It would be nice to tune since it has the adjustable suspension on it and handles damn nice. 

On 11/13/2019 at 7:09 AM, Special_K said:

uh 12.2 @ 115.19 while spinning through 1st and 2nd....  

What what was once thought impossible for the Edge with its weight penalty and smaller engine to the Alpha is now a reality. 

Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglo listed at 505hp base price $75,900 , with popular options $87,065 + tax and Lic.
Alpha:
PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 3.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.2 sec

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Xtra said:
What what was once thought impossible for the Edge with its weight penalty and smaller engine to the Alpha is now a reality. 

Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglo listed at 505hp base price $75,900 , with popular options $87,065 + tax and Lic.
Alpha:
PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 3.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.2 sec

And there is more in her!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 10:36 PM, akirby said:

I wasn’t talking about aftermarket parts for a new vehicle.  I was saying why Ford Performance wasn’t going to invest anything in the current Edge.

This what I also find illogical.....

a) One of Ford's best selling vehicles doesn't have any performance options through Ford Performance?  I am sure you will find pages upon pages of Mustang, Focus ST/RS, Fiesta ST goodies. Even goodies for the F-150 exist.  Why not the Edge? 

b) I truly wonder if Roush will step to the plate with performance enhancements.  We can keep the factory warranty with Roush, at least.

c) I have owned two other vehicles with more sparse performance support .  Much like the Edge, Maximas have had to rely on different forum members for additional performance goodies.

d) Why can't they send the CD4 Edge out with a bang using the Continental's 3.0 L TT V6 and tweak that to 450 hp?  Then tweak the new 9 speed to handle the added torque.

• Like 1

I bought a Fiesta SE to drive in the winter so the Edge can sit in a garage and now after owning the Fiesta for 3 months I love this little car so next year going to find a used 2019 Fiesta ST as my daily.  Tons of mods for that car LOL....and I am sure a slightly modded ST is allot of fun :) The Edge ST is great for hauling the family around but I wouldn't call it fun.  Maybe a tune for change my mind.

Edited by vmaxbaby

Got word from Roush that they will not be coming out with anything for the Edge ST.  Steeda?  Saleen?

If Alfa Romeo can extract 505 hp from a TT 2.9L V6 and AWD, why can't we get more goodies for this car because the potential is there.  

Side note: I asked about more hp for the Nitemare F150 and got the same thing from Roush.  Sometimes 650 hp isn't enough.

18 hours ago, PrinzII said:

Got word from Roush that they will not be coming out with anything for the Edge ST.  Steeda?  Saleen?

If Alfa Romeo can extract 505 hp from a TT 2.9L V6 and AWD, why can't we get more goodies for this car because the potential is there.  

Side note: I asked about more hp for the Nitemare F150 and got the same thing from Roush.  Sometimes 650 hp isn't enough.

People are tuning it.  The problem is the Transmission is an unknown compared to the Sport model.  Sport's had plenty of power added to them, LMS added almost 103hp and 97ft/lbs. peak power to them.  Same engine with a Trans they knew could handle that.  It is just not the same with this new 8 speed.  Shit Ford barely has it working correctly yet so how do expect a tuner to work their magic without the manufacturer being able to figure it out.  You have to work within the limits of what the Trans and rest of the driveline can handle. 

1 hour ago, jamie1073 said:

People are tuning it.  The problem is the Transmission is an unknown compared to the Sport model.  Sport's had plenty of power added to them, LMS added almost 103hp and 97ft/lbs. peak power to them.  Same engine with a Trans they knew could handle that.  It is just not the same with this new 8 speed.  Shit Ford barely has it working correctly yet so how do expect a tuner to work their magic without the manufacturer being able to figure it out.  You have to work within the limits of what the Trans and rest of the driveline can handle. 

But the tranny is based on the old 6f55 with 2 more gears and even more torque capacity (8F57) so I doubt that power is an issue.  The software is completely different so that’s a challenge for the tuners for sure.

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

But the tranny is based on the old 6f55 with 2 more gears and even more torque capacity (8F57) so I doubt that power is an issue.  The software is completely different so that’s a challenge for the tuners for sure.

I agree, the tuners would need to be careful with the new trans software.  Even Ford engineers who designed it are having issues getting it right.

• 1 month later...

Man, you guys need to have a beer and get over this" what it has and what it has not". I have been driving performance cars all my life and this little 2020 Edge St is a hoot to drive. Its not about the numbers and times, its about does the car tickle your ass when you drive it. I traded an  2014 Audi Q7 with all the bells and whistles in on my Edge St and the Edge is much nicer and quicker. I know about fast suv's, I also have a 2016 BMW x5 v8 twin turbo and as soon as I get some miles on the Edge, I'm going to see how they stack up against each other. In fact i went to buy my wife a new Lincoln but loved the look of the black St with the brake package. It doesn't compare to her GT Mustang, but for a little suv, its perfect in my book....and that my friend is all that matters.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to find replacement brake pads (front and rear) for my ST.  I have the performance brake option and I'm looking for brake pads that give off a lot less brake dust.  Either I'm looking in the wrong places or I believe the pads are a different size than the regular pads.  Anyone have any suggestions?

11 hours ago, 2019blkst said:

I've been trying to find replacement brake pads (front and rear) for my ST.  I have the performance brake option and I'm looking for brake pads that give off a lot less brake dust.  Either I'm looking in the wrong places or I believe the pads are a different size than the regular pads.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Hey SpecialK,

Y R we putting the effort out 2 make an after market listing of HiPo parts when very few R even attempting 2 query for it???