I like my 2020 Edge ST but it is lacking in a few areas

Shadow ST

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and new to being a FORD Edge owner.  I joined your forum because I'm hoping to have a great experience meeting other Edge owners and learning much about this vehicle.  This is the first SUV I've ever had as most of my previous cars have been small to midsize sports cars or those with a heavy emphasis on performance.  Why not, a midsize performance SUV.    Here are my thought on the Ford EDGE ST thus far in my short time of owning broken down in my pros and cons.  Please note, these are my opinions based off other vehicles I've had or driven and may differ based off your own experiences.

Pros: 

- The Performance brake and wheel package make a huge difference in looks

- Twin Turbo AWD,  I've had this combo before and it's always so much fun

- Panoramic Sun Roof is great and brings smiles

- Fully loaded and all the tech you need and don't

Cons:

-The Styling could use some work because it's not aggressive enough.  Ford should have offered a complete blackout option for the ford emblems (front & rear) as well as blacking out the "EDGE" on the tailgate.  I blacked out the "EDGE" emblem myself with Plasti dip and it looks 10X better.  Planning to use headlight/taillight vinyl tint to do the two FORD badges.

- I would like to have seen 275 tires instead of 265.  I'm not sure what the widest tire that can fit but I will being going with a Wheel/tire upgrade in the near future and going for the widest tire.  Would be great to put 275 - 285's.

- Where or the Bilstein shocks, and electronic adjustable suspension?   The Edge ST could have been so much more with a suspension that could have been adjusted for driving conditions

- No Brembo brakes just a regular brake caliper painted red with performance brake pads.  SMH

-Better Sport mode needed.   I would have liked to see multiple driving modes instead of just the regular drive positions and an "S" button.  FORD can you please make the next EDGE ST with   a Normal Mode, Sport, and Sport + (or ST Mode)?  Sport mode feels somewhat clunky and only responsive at times.  Definitely feels like an afterthought from other trims and not a unique feature of the ST

- More power is needed.  335 HP is ok but to make this vehicle really fun, I would suggest at least 365 HP and 415 ft lbs torque

- FWD biased AWD is ok I guess but a RWD biased AWD or a full time AWD would have been wayyyyyyyy better.   

-The exhaust note is absolutely horrendous.  I'm surprised the ST division at FORD released the Edge ST with such a blatant assault on the ears

- Almost no aftermarket support.  I've seen three exhaust systems offered for the 19-20 Edge ST and was wondering why FORD did not create one.  The offer one for almost all their cars/trucks but not the Edge. 

I know there are more cons than pros but I do enjoy the Edge ST, I just feel like FORD could have made this vehicle so much better.    I'm going to try to address the gaps by doing some suspensions upgrades, a Borla exhaust system, and appearance upgrades.   

Please share what you have done with your Edge ST.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am 76 and DW is 79, the new 2020 ST we brought home yesterday will be just fine the way it is! It replaced a 2004 Buick Rainier 5.3 V8 that got totaled Saturday. I did lot of mods(called bombs on RAMs) on a 2001.5 RAM diesel. In 2015 we bought a new RAM 3500 and I open the hood to change the oil and filters! Mod days are behind us. 

Enjoy your ride and have at it making it "Yours"! Might be cheaper than what Ford would have done and you get what "you" want, not what they served up!

After owning the new Edge ST for a couple days, the sync design engineers need to rent a FCA product with the uconnect 8.4 system and try to replicate it. Our 2015 RAM 3500 Laramie with the center stack 8.4" uconnect screen with Nav and 7"  EVIC dash is much much much better than what is on our new Edge. The two displays are interface with lane change and turn pictures popping on on the EVIC screen right in front of the driver. I can tailor the different areas of the EVIC(dash) to my liking. I chose the boost gauge left upper and tranny temp left lower, the lower one was changed to exhaust brake after this picture. Analog speedo and tach or fixed items onf the far left and right.  The four "average mileage", "Trip A", "Range" and trailer brake "Gain" were my choice. I can choose between 15 or so items to display as digital numbers or for the gauges on the left. The large speedo scrolls easily to tire pressure, trip counts etc etc.  The second and third picture just came off the web.

I will stay so far I love driving the Edge ST!!!!

Dash.jpg

EVIC 2.jpg

EVIC 3.jpg

Well we went for an extended drive today and learn a few more things about the Sync system and HVAC system and the hard buttons on the center stack and also changing media without leaving Maps. So more things are doable, however on the RAM it is much easier and much more intuitive and does not distract you from the road as much.  

IMG_20200626_135626.jpg

Edited by Snoking

1 hour ago, Snoking said:

DW is not happy with the dash reflection on the windshield. Any suggestions on that. 

Wait a few months for the windshield and dash to start getting a dust build up. ?

Seriously though most new vehicles that have any kind of a dash end up with it when lighting and angle is right for it. Short of making the dash less reflective that's about all. even with carpet on it you would still see it some what at times. 

Ok the Beam cellphone holder showed up today and I ordered a second one for the passengers side.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073R68TSH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a USB drive with music in one USB port in the cubbie and routed the usb cable out of the cubbie to the past through the center console to go up to the phone on the drivers side. On the passengers side I wanted to keep the 12V outlet in reserve, so I router a second cable down the passenger side from the arm rest storage to the pass through area for the second phone. The 12V to USB has two 2 amp outlets, so we have a extra usb charge outlet there. I learned about pulling off the side panels here and on a U-tube on installing a auto stop fix cable/dongle at the off switch on the center console. So first three photos are for the drivers side and the last two for passengers side. Chris

IMG_20200627_144119.jpg

Edited by Snoking

On 6/24/2020 at 10:41 PM, Snoking said:

The two displays are interface with lane change and turn pictures popping on on the EVIC screen right in front of the driver. . The large speedo scrolls easily to tire pressure, trip counts etc etc.  The second and third picture just came off the web.

I will stay so far I love driving the Edge ST!!!!

Dash.jpg

EVIC 2.jpg

EVIC 3.jpg

Certainly agree with you that the instrument panel should be modernized. Ford has been using the same cluster since 2011! If you use google maps for navigation you can see turn by turn pictures in the instrument panel.  You can also display the digital speedometer on the left side of the speedometer.

But to be fair and compare apples to apples. You're comparing your 3500 IPC to your edge. While it would be nice to display all the bells and whistles on the edge IPC, Ford marketed and equipped the edge for their target audience Ford makes a comparable IPC for their trucks with the 8" screen.

Edited by onyxbfly

14 hours ago, Snoking said:

Pictures three

IMG_20200627_144107.jpg

Do you use android auto? If not you should try it. You really do not need to have your phone mounted these days unless its an absolute necessity. Android Auto will give you access to just about everything you need on your phone sans email.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

Do you use android auto? If not you should try it. You really do not need to have your phone mounted these days unless its an absolute necessity. Android Auto will give you access to just about everything you need on your phone sans email.

X2, absolutely! I much prefer Android than Apple! :2thumbs:

Claude. :)

• Like 1

If you leave the phone down in the cubbie, the GPS does not work well. with it up on the dash, DW can push one icon on the screen to route her home or any other trip I put as a route on the home page, and she is off and running when she plugs in the cable.

1 hour ago, onyxbfly said:

If you use google maps for navigation you can see turn by turn pictures in the instrument panel.  You can also display the digital speedometer on the left side of the speedometer. 

I know how to show the digital speedo, however it is you can have THIS or This or This, NOT you can have This and This and This. I will have to work on turn by turn pictures in the instrument panel. I assume it is in one the right side display. Clue or two would be accepted. They wasted way to much real estate on the analog speedo. Put an analog tact on the left side and analog speedo on right side and a nice single larger integrated digital display in the center, just like my RAM. On the Sync display always have a row of buttons along the bottom to switch between major functions. 

Edited by Snoking

1 hour ago, onyxbfly said:

With it laying flat on top of the dash so GPS has good reception it got really warm and DW did not like cable coming down over the center stack. In the holder in front of you it will be easier to remember to take it with you when you exit the vehicle. Pull the usb cable put a finger behind the bottom center and push a button and the jaws open release the phone. To mount it you set it there and pinch the jaws closed on it. One hand operation going both ways.

3 minutes ago, Snoking said:

If you leave the phone down in the cubbie, the GPS does not work well. with it up on the dash, DW can push one icon on the screen to route her home or any other trip I put as a route on the home page, and she is off and running when she plugs in the cable.

I know how to show the digital speedo, however it is you can have THIS or This or This, NOT you can have This and This and This. I will have to work on turn by turn pictures in the instrument panel. I assume it is in one the right side display. Clue or two would be accepted. They wasted way to much real estate on the analog speedo. Put an analog tact on the left side and analog speedo on right side and a nice single larger integrated digital display in the center, just like my RAM. On the Sync display always have a row of buttons along the bottom to switch between major functions. 

Happy Wife Happy Life! Its the small things that make her smile all the more worth it.

I agree with you, Ford would benefit from borrowing different design elements from other manufactures.

You are correct, the navigation is displayed on the right side of the IPC, you have to use the buttons on the right side of the steering wheel to interact with the submenu. Once you have your navigation set to wherever you are going it will display turn by turn directions. I know that it will display them when you use google maps. Its been so long that I used factory navigation I honestly don't recall if it will display them when using the oem nav.

6 minutes ago, Snoking said:

With it laying flat on top of the dash so GPS has good reception it got really warm and DW did not like cable coming down over the center stack. In the holder in front of you it will be easier to remember to take it with you when you exit the vehicle. Pull the usb cable put a finger behind the bottom center and push a button and the jaws open release the phone. To mount it you set it there and pinch the jaws closed on it. One hand operation going both ways.

That's odd. Might be an issue with the phone itself.  I see your process. If it isn't broke don't fix it!

2 minutes ago, Snoking said:

Button challenged DW needs a KISS system!

Hahah I can dig it. Not sure of which version of Android Auto you have on your phone. Or you may have it already. Go to settings in android auto and see if you have the toggle to use the new interface. There is an update that makes your preferred nav choice the default when you plug your phone in. The first thing you will see is google maps when you plug the phone in.  Talking to android auto and asking for directions is definitely smoother than using the SYNC system.  Or like you said use your KISS system!