Blown Head Gasket, Need to weigh options

RandyKrittz

Hey all, I ended up running into a problem, and since I'm at 61.5k miles, I'm slightly out of warranty period.

A while back I started to notice the noise of water running on my car, I thought the coolant was low, so I added some more into it. I recently had my oil changed so I did not think to check the oil.

About a couple of days later, CEL came on, and P0302 was the code that I got back from scanning it. I changed out the spark plugs, along with the coil packs, erased the code and drove it around until it came back on. I then proceeded to add some Techron fuel additive and repeated clearing the code and driving around.

The light came back on today and I decided to check my oil cap to get an idea of the worse that is yet to come... I found some chocolate milkshake on the cap, and did a compression test.

Cylinder 2 is spewing out water while cranking on the other cylinders, 1/3/4 are showing up 150 constant, while CYL 2 is filled with water, and giving it a high compression # of 190.

After researching, I found out that this an on-going issue that Ford issued a TSB for it.. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162071-0001.pdf

I am weighing my options, I could have the engine rebuilt, and the same issue would come up later on, I could get a donor engine from a 2019/2020 that's under 10k miles or so for about $2000 or so for a long block. I also wondered what would it take to say... drop in a 2.7l in it.

I was wondering if anyone happens to know the difference of the engines between model years, I read somewhere that Ford revised the 2.0 in 2019, but I don't want to pull the trigger on engine without knowing if they fixed the issue or not.

I would appreciate any guidance!

• Thanks 1

I don't think anyone tried dropping another engine. I wouldn't expect it to be easy or cheap. Even the transmission is different. But since your failure happened just after Powertrain warranty, reach out to Ford and they might still help. You can argue that such a major failure definitely started way before warranty expired and refer to the TSB. Just be nice as I remember reading that Ford does help in such cases when failure comes just after warranty.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 4

Thank you for the response first off! Now that you mention it, I now think that idea of throwing the 2.7l in it would be a pain in the rear.

I followed up on that advice, and contacted Ford directly, and they referred me to the dealership. Went down to the dealership and got quoted the diagnostic of $200, which in all fairness is about what a dealer charges. They were upfront with me that most likely Ford will tell them to tear down the engine if they want to provide me with assistance. The quote on just the tear down alone is about $4400, With a chance that Ford will tell me to kick rocks.

I guess it's time to start looking at Junk Yard engines

• Sad 3

You can still plead your case with Ford even if the dealer refuses to assist you.  Polite but firm.  Work up the chain, don't take no for an answer, not at the dealership and not at Ford.  62K miles is a ridiculous timeframe to be blowing an engine, and it is not uncommon to see this failure, btw.

Hopefully, members who have gone thru this will step up and share their experiences.

Otherwise you can always join up on MACT FORD EDGE on facebook, where you will be in good company.

If you choose the legal option (nuclear option lol), certainly there will not be a dearth of similar incidents to prove your point.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Spencerbrannon said:

Hey There, 

I am having the exact same issue. Even started with replacing spark plugs and coil packs. Can you let me know what you ended up doing. Did you end up replacing the engine? Trying to weigh my options as well. 

I ended up going with a used 2021 Fusion 2.0 Engine with 700 miles on it, I picked it up at the start of the pandemic for around $1600 with freight, did the labor at home.

You could probably find a independent shop to swap the motor for you for as low as $1200 or so, if you can supply the motor. I would recommend changing the flex plate while you are at it, just had mine break on me lol (not affected by the recall)

Seems like anything past some period in 2019(its been a while since I researched it) had the block sleeves redesigned, seems a little thicker wall inbetween cylinders.
This is Why the Ford 1.5L 1.6L 2.0L and 2.3L Ecoboost Engines are Gulping Coolant! provides a good explanation with the differences

Best of luck!

Edited by RandyKrittz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

New to the Forum, Looking for ways to get Ford to pay for the new motor. I got got the classic Cyl#2 misfire a month after buy it from a local Ford dealer, threw money at it coils wiring harness plugs, took it back to them and they told me  it needs a new engine. did my research  see that the engine in question is a design flaw, and since the first they have redesigned it at least 3 time ending in 2019, I believe. I also got the carfax and see that the vehicle was sold 4 times in 5 years, umm why? Do dealerships make it a habit to clear codes before a sale? The dealership suggested I Trade the edge in for another one, yeah  just got stuck with a $19,000 loan for this one i need another $19,000 on top? I already pay $381 a month that would double my monthly bill. so my choices are slim to none. I don't want a boat anchor or a paper weight I have to get a loan to replace the engine for $6,000, It was suggested by lemon law layers to take it to small claim to get the money back for the engine.  Also The NHSTA is investigating  so if you still have issues  go to their website and file a complaint.

If anyone has any contact number to cal FOMOCO please it would be appreciated, I am retired so I have all the time I need. 

I will try to keep everyone updated