HOW TO add OEM Remote Start (2015+)

The Guide to Adding OEM Remote Start to The Ford Edge (2015+) and Other Similar Ford Vehicles Rewritten As of 2023

How this Works:

The Ford Edge (2015+) and other similar generation Ford vehicles use the Body Control Module (BCM) to initiate remote start from the key. Likely due to simplicity, Ford has the logic for remote start built into every BCM regardless of whether remote start is equipped. This means in order to add remote start, like higher trim models have equipped, all that needs to be added is a remote start key fob and its corresponding antenna. Key fobs that do not use remote start operate at 300Mhz which fits its application of simply locking and unlocking at a short range. When remote start is equipped, a 902Mhz antenna and key fob are used to establish longer two-way communication between the fob and the antenna. Ford calls this antenna the Radio Transceiver Module (RTM). The upgraded RTM is sold through Ford Parts and is directly swappable to car, making adding OEM remote start cheap and easy (relatively).

What You Will Need: 

- A 902mhz Radio Transceiver Module "RTM" (https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/transceiver-7847223-1)

- A key fob or two that have the remote start button (https://ebay.to/3GXXxBO)

- A computer with FORScan and USB OBD II Scanner

Disclaimer

As of writing this, swapping out the module does seem to cause loss of TPMS communication. This does not mean there is a fault with the TPMS sensors, they do not need to be replaced. Sometimes the signal can be relearned overtime. If a TPMS warning stays for a long time, the TPMS sensors may need to be reprogrammed. This can be done by purchasing a TPMS scan tool (https://a.co/d/2KBtWZ3) and following this guide to enter programming mode (https://bit.ly/3CGuTTg) replacing each flipping of the key with 2 presses of the start/stop button

- Current programmed keys will stop functioning after the module swap

How To

Step 1: Key Programming

- In order to program the new 902Mhz key fobs a few things need to be kept in mind about Ford's key programming logic. Regular users can put their vehicles in programming mode as long as they have 2 key fobs and less than 4 total keys programmed. If one of the keys are missing, the programming mode cannot be activated and a locksmith must use a specialized scan tool to wipe and add new key fobs. The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) will show the total amount of keys programmed when scrolling though the vehicle settings menu. 

- If you have 2 key fobs, no other keys programmed, and the new 902Mhz remote, use this guide (https://bit.ly/3Xq9g1C)

Step 2: Take Note of RTM Module Data in FORScan

Before replacing any module, it is a good idea to make note of the AS-BUILT data so that different values can be copied over between old and new modules. For the RTM on the Edge, check that 751-01-01 reads "01FF 80DA" as this is what the new module will come with by default. If your value is different and there is an issue with the module, copying the values from the AS-BUILT may be helpful.

Step 3: Enable Remote Start in FORScan

Body Control Module (BCM): 

- Hood Switch - Change from "Not Present" to "Present"

- Remote Start - Change from "Disabled" to "Enabled"

Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM)

Steering Column Control Module (SCCM)

Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)

- Remote Start Climate Settings - Change from "Disabled" to "Enabled"

Step 3: Replace RTM Module

The diagrams and photo below show the placement and mounding of the RTM. This module is light weight and simple to remove. Use a fine metal pick to undo the smaller plastic connections. To gain access to the module, simply pull the headliner down enough to gain access. Not much force should be used, as the headliner foam could be permanently damaged. 

Conclusion

After completing Step 3, the newly programmed key fobs should begin to function right away and remote start should immediately work. If there are any issues, double check the module is plugged in correctly, that it is reading in FORScan, and that all FORScan options regarding to Remote Start are set to "Enabled."

Guide.PNG

RTM function.PNG

IMG_0692.jpeg

IMG_0693.jpeg

Edited by colinc755
Updating Guide
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 6/28/2020 at 5:12 AM, papinist said:

Do you think this could work on an european Edge? I believe here the remote works on a different frequency (433 mhz) but after being replaced, it should not be a problem.

Checking my as-built, I have the "01FF 80DA" value.

It certainly should. You would need to use the vin for a European edge with remote start to generate the proper as-built data. And you woul need to use a European RTM.

Edited by onyxbfly

14 hours ago, papinist said:

Do you think this could work on an european Edge? I believe here the remote works on a different frequency (433 mhz) but after being replaced, it should not be a problem.

Checking my as-built, I have the "01FF 80DA" value.

The brand new module I got from the ford dealership came with the 01FF 80DA value so I never had to do any programming. Technically it would be a good idea to reprogram it through IDS, but in my case it was plug and play. If for some reason it came blank then there could be issues. With how easy these are to change out its worth a shot to see if its plug and play. 

19 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

It certainly should. You would need to use the vin for a European edge to generate the proper as-built data. And you woul need to use a European RTM.

What do you mean? I already have an european VIN since my car is the Euro model. I vas referring to the as-built generated from my VIN for my car. About an european RTM, I'm not entirely sure that remote start is available somewhere in europe. I remember some time ago when I did some research about remote start, I found people trying to enable it on mondeo\fusion and they were searching for remotes with remote start button and 433 mhz frequencies. And I'm sure enough that EU models use 433 mhz for both remote and tpms data.

But if it works like colinc755 said, the main frequency is insignificant: US or EU, with remote start you switch to an entirely dofferent frequency.

6 hours ago, colinc755 said:

The brand new module I got from the ford dealership came with the 01FF 80DA value so I never had to do any programming. Technically it would be a good idea to reprogram it through IDS, but in my case it was plug and play. If for some reason it came blank then there could be issues. With how easy these are to change out its worth a shot to see if its plug and play. 

Do you have a ford part number for that RTM? The link you posted requires to choose an US dealer, that is a bit impractical for me from Italy :)

2 hours ago, papinist said:

What do you mean? I already have an european VIN since my car is the Euro model. I vas referring to the as-built generated from my VIN for my car. About an european RTM, I'm not entirely sure that remote start is available somewhere in europe.

Apologies if this is incorrect and or does not apply to you.  I edited my post to reflect my original intention.  I meant that you will need a European vin from an edge that has the remote start feature to generate the as-built for your car. Since your edge does not have remote start you would not have that feature enabled.

Edited by onyxbfly

• 6 months later...

I did all of this on my 2017 SEL. At first, tpms was fine and didn't get any errors. Now it is saying tire pressure sensor fault after about 30 minutes of driving and hasn't gone away in a few days. Also, when I try to remote start it the car lights flash but doesn't start and the remote blinks red. I enabled everything in forscan that I had to I believe. Anyone have an ideas on how to fix the tpms issues or get the remote start working?

• 1 year later...

Hello to all,

Has anyone installed the extended range antenna on this factory setup ?

I can't find the alarm/ remote start unit in my car or where this will plug into.

It's suppose to mount via 3M tape under the rear view mirror, go down the driver's side pillar "into the IP" and connect to VSS.

I have a 2018 Titanium 301A. 

Thank you all very very much!

Screenshot_20221215-160045-035.png

• 4 weeks later...

I know this thread is old, but thank you for providing this information.  Just to confirm, this can be done on a 2017 SE model as well, you'll need to enable the hood latch switch though or you'll get the horn honk and light flash instead of a start. Just completed mine today, totally worth the tpms replacement to get factory remote start at a not factory price.

On 1/23/2021 at 3:02 PM, mybrotherisanub said:

I did all of this on my 2017 SEL. At first, tpms was fine and didn't get any errors. Now it is saying tire pressure sensor fault after about 30 minutes of driving and hasn't gone away in a few days. Also, when I try to remote start it the car lights flash but doesn't start and the remote blinks red. I enabled everything in forscan that I had to I believe. Anyone have an ideas on how to fix the tpms issues or get the remote start working?

I hope you were able to get yours figured out, but if not, you'll need to change the hood switch setting in the BdyCM portion, this is the reason for the horn honk and light flash.  The TPMS issue just requires a replacement of the sensors with those that match the new frequency. 

1 hour ago, Chief_7101 said:

I know this thread is old, but thank you for providing this information.  Just to confirm, this can be done on a 2017 SE model as well, you'll need to enable the hood latch switch though or you'll get the horn honk and light flash instead of a start. Just completed mine today, totally worth the tpms replacement to get factory remote start at a not factory price.

Glad to hear you were able to get it to work. I was beginning to think that this method only worked for me. The TPMS thing is odd because changing them for the new frequency makes perfect sense. I have no idea why they all the sudden started working on my Titanium. Maybe there is something different about those in particular. I guess for anyone doing this, the sensors should be factored in to the cost. If you remember the exact things that need to be done with the hood latch, I would be happy to add them to the original post to negate any confusion. 

35 minutes ago, colinc755 said:

Glad to hear you were able to get it to work. I was beginning to think that this method only worked for me. The TPMS thing is odd because changing them for the new frequency makes perfect sense. I have no idea why they all the sudden started working on my Titanium. Maybe there is something different about those in particular. I guess for anyone doing this, the sensors should be factored in to the cost. If you remember the exact things that need to be done with the hood latch, I would be happy to add them to the original post to negate any confusion. 

I'm having a hard time finding tpms sensors with a different frequency so I'm not honestly sure if mine will work or not, I guess time will tell but definitely a good consideration and still better than having aftermarket remote start in my opinion.   I'll list below each thing I enabled on mine just in case it may be needed on other models of lesser trim as well.  Thank you for your willingness to keep this alive, I think it will help a lot of people.   I'm going for fog lights and factory tow hitch/wiring next, fingers crossed.

BdyCM:   Hood Switch - changed from "not present" to "present"     Remote Start "enabled"

FCIM:  Remote Start  "enabled"

SCCM:  Remote Start  "enabled"

IPC:  Remote Start  "enabled",     Remote Start climate settings "enabled"

44 minutes ago, Chief_7101 said:

I'm having a hard time finding tpms sensors with a different frequency so I'm not honestly sure if mine will work or not, I guess time will tell but definitely a good consideration and still better than having aftermarket remote start in my opinion.   I'll list below each thing I enabled on mine just in case it may be needed on other models of lesser trim as well.  Thank you for your willingness to keep this alive, I think it will help a lot of people.   I'm going for fog lights and factory tow hitch/wiring next, fingers crossed.

BdyCM:   Hood Switch - changed from "not present" to "present"     Remote Start "enabled"

FCIM:  Remote Start  "enabled"

SCCM:  Remote Start  "enabled"

IPC:  Remote Start  "enabled",     Remote Start climate settings "enabled"

So I just did some searching with a lot of different VIN's of all trims and years on Ford Parts and it looks like all the TPMS sensors from all years operate at 315 MHZ so replacing them should not be required. Have you considered stopping by a tire shop and having them reprogram the sensors? They don't have to remove the wheels or anything to do that, many have a little tool that they can just walk around the car with and do in a few seconds. Not sure what they would charge, if anything at all, but that could be worth checking out. It would be logical that the TPMS sensors lost sight of the exact module they were programed to. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, colinc755 said:

So I just did some searching with a lot of different VIN's of all trims and years on Ford Parts and it looks like all the TPMS sensors from all years operate at 315 MHZ so replacing them should not be required. Have you considered stopping by a tire shop and having them reprogram the sensors? They don't have to remove the wheels or anything to do that, many have a little tool that they can just walk around the car with and do in a few seconds. Not sure what they would charge, if anything at all, but that could be worth checking out. It would be logical that the TPMS sensors lost sight of the exact module they were programed to. 

I haven't taken a long enough drive to see if they'll relearn, I have the tool to do it somewhere around here, I'll have to give it a shot and see what happens.  Sounds like they just haven't mated with the new module yet.   Thanks for all your help!

• 10 months later...

I have exactly the same problem where everything is programmed, through Forscan everything allowed, but the car only buds and flashes lights. I don't see any Horn Honk and Light item in Bdycm. Will you advise me where to find her?

Where can I find a hood latch switch? I have the same problem that the car only buds and flashes. Thank you

7 hours ago, wone said:

I have exactly the same problem where everything is programmed, through Forscan everything allowed, but the car only buds and flashes lights. I don't see any Horn Honk and Light item in Bdycm. Will you advise me where to find her?

Where can I find a hood latch switch? I have the same problem that the car only buds and flashes. Thank you

Did you follow all the steps mentioned in the original post?

Did you replace the RTM? 

Did you enable Hood Switch in BCM?

Did you enable remote start in FCIM & SCCM? 

Note: your Edge is a EU model, that could also be an issue. It is diesel, right? Auto or Manual? That could also be an issue. 

Edited by omar302

6 hours ago, omar302 said:

Note: your Edge is a EU model, that could also be an issue.

This is the reason why he can't get it enabled.

We already have the hood latch switch installed, it only needs to be enabled.. but neither after enabling all things nor with external hardware (can't remember the name of what I tried) we can have the remote start.

1 hour ago, papinist said:

This is the reason why he can't get it enabled.

We already have the hood latch switch installed, it only needs to be enabled.. but neither after enabling all things nor with external hardware (can't remember the name of what I tried) we can have the remote start. 

I also have the EU version, slot machine and everything is allowed, but unfortunately nothing. I still have to check the switch, but it just won't work. It is surprising that another person on the Czech forum with the same version as I have without a problem launched and it is going. Then I don't know

• 3 months later...

From personal experience in installing remote start and installing a new RTM unit. My 2018 EDGE had an RTM installed from a 2015 MUSTANG and naturally the wheel pressure sensors stopped working. I updated the RTM to the latest firmware from a 2020 machine. And retrained the pressure sensors. After that everything worked.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nhorn1983 said:

Has anyone done this on a 21 ST? I put the part numbers from the first post but they say they don't work with a 21 ST. I would like to do this. Just want to make sure i get the right parts and that it is still in the same location.

The best way to check would be to pull down the headliner just enough to see it in your ST. The non-remote start modules are half-sized and don’t take up the full bracket. This part number pulled up for me (F2GZ15607D).