Liftgate malfunction

Disnats

10 hours ago, 2015Edge2015 said:

What were your symptoms?  And what was replaced? Mines is doing something weird lately. If I open it and close it and immediately open it again then close it, it stays closed and have the dash light that's open. Nothing opens it u less half a day passes by and then fixes itself. 

Scroll up in the messages and the issue is described. Basically it started out as you describe, then more like a shoulder shrug, meaning one side would try to lift while the other remainder down. My dash light world read open liftgate as it did not fully close again until I pushed down on it. I already stated what was replaced before Ford updated the rear tail gate module (rtgm) software. Look up the ssm 49914 which states it is now a recognized issue by Ford.

10 hours ago, Virtualtracy said:

Hello all,

Oh happy day, I finally have a working power liftgate again! I finally took my Edge in for the recall on the front flexible brake hose and I took it to a different dealership in my area and asked them to run a diagnostic on the liftgate as it was still not working and draining out my battery.

Before this we tried replacing the hydraulic lifts, did not resolve the problem; we tried replacing the control module, did not work but after this step I was able to use the lift manually, before that step it was completely useless.

The Ford tech updated the RTGM module which I asked another dealership if this could be the problem but the lazy butts did not bother to from the diagnostic as requested. Ford released SSM 49914 (TSB?) in June of 2021 acknowledging this issue.

I hope this helps everyone that is still struggling with this issue.

@Virtualtracy,Thanks for responding back with this update. I plan to call my local Ford Dealer today. 
For those interested, my liftgate still does the shrug probably 20% of the time. When it does I have to crawl in and open with the small screwdriver trick. After many trips to the dealer it’s been extremely frustrating to say the least. 

1 hour ago, Virtualtracy said:

Scroll up in the messages and the issue is described. Basically it started out as you describe, then more like a shoulder shrug, meaning one side would try to lift while the other remainder down. My dash light world read open liftgate as it did not fully close again until I pushed down on it. I already stated what was replaced before Ford updated the rear tail gate module (rtgm) software. Look up the ssm 49914 which states it is now a recognized issue by Ford.

Ohhh! Wow.. very similar. Ok. So what did they do to fix it? Replace something or reprogram?

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Renegad said:

Ordered. Will report back with outcome once installed. Thanks 

Good luck. It should work. Mines has been FLAWLESS since its been replaced. Carefull 8nstalling it. Keep it clean. I believe its returnable according to the listing. Just in casr it doesnt fix yours.

Edited by 2015Edge2015

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 2015Edge2015 said:

How did it go. Did it fix your issue? Mines still working flawless.

Yes.  The part arrived Friday and I installed it right away.  Very easy install, took about 20 minutes.  Has worked every single time since. Challenged it with the push button inside, key fob, button on door handle, “wave of the foot”. We were out and about this weekend and I popped it every time we stopped and got out of the vehicle.  Flawless. 
Thanks for the tip. The wife is very happy. 

1 hour ago, Renegad said:

Yes.  The part arrived Friday and I installed it right away.  Very easy install, took about 20 minutes.  Has worked every single time since. Challenged it with the push button inside, key fob, button on door handle, “wave of the foot”. We were out and about this weekend and I popped it every time we stopped and got out of the vehicle.  Flawless. 
Thanks for the tip. The wife is very happy. 

Awesome. Yeah,  easy 20 min job. Glad it worked. Hardest part doing the job myself was installing the panel back since you have to align the plastic knobs and the thing moves around. But  I've had zero issues so far myself and now happy to know it's a easy job if it fails again down the road. And the part cost isn't bad compared to the dealer cost for OEM,  think it's around 375$ to 400$ I think. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a 2014 Edge with a power liftgate, It opens without issue but will not close.  It starts to close but doesn't move but 1 to 2 inches and then I here a relay click in the liftgate and it goes to fully open position.  It will close manually.  I ohmed the safety sensors and one was 6.1 ohms and the other 6.2 ohms so I am assuming they are not the issue.  With them disconnected the liftgate will not even attempt to close.  

Any ideas would be appreciated.  

Thank you

Should have mentioned earlier, I did the battery disconnect/reset and had the same results, liftgate opens without issue but only goes down a couple of inches, then I hear relays inside the liftgate switching states and it opens fully.  I also checked all 3 fuses associated with the system and found no issue.  

Below are PDF download links to relevant sections of the 2014 Edge Workshop Manual, relating to Power Liftgate operation, diagnostics including Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) and Symptom lists, wiring diagrams, and several major component removal and installation procedures.

If your diagnostic efforts progress to steps requiring specific connector details beyond what the document offers, let me know and I will provide the connector information.

Good luck!

Power Liftgate Diagnosis and Testing - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Liftgate Wiring Diagram - Page 1 - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Liftgate Wiring Diagram - Page 2 - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Liftgate Wiring Diagram - Page 3 - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Liftgate Wiring Diagram - Page 4 - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Liftgate Wiring Diagram - Page 5 - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Liftgate Initialization - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Power Liftgate Motor Removal and Installation - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Liftgate-Trunk Module (LTM) Removal and Installation - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

• 5 months later...