Jump to content
Gmandude

Suspension modifications on gen 2

Recommended Posts

The ford motorcade rear shocks tend to hit the bump stop to early for my taste. I ordered some bilstein b6. pn 24-283113. Bought a master pro fm1586 bump stop. Cut it out to fit the top butterfly aluminum price that mounts the top of the shocks. I cut the price to fit and had a master mechanic look at it before I put it on. Just polished the aluminum with a wire brush from Walmart the hart brand has nice ones for like 6 bucks. I had some combined covers for the shocks. Can post pics if wanted. 

CC3169F2-DA8D-4282-8285-3A5D89B9C6FC.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also strongly suggest buying new bottom bolts the ford dealership only wanted $2.50 per bolt with the dry loctite 

 

I have done other suspension mods if anyone is interested 

Edited by Gmandude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2020 at 10:29 PM, Gmandude said:

The ford motorcade rear shocks tend to hit the bump stop to early for my taste. I ordered some bilstein b6. pn 24-283113. Bought a master pro fm1586 bump stop. Cut it out to fit the top butterfly aluminum price that mounts the top of the shocks. I cut the price to fit and had a master mechanic look at it before I put it on. Just polished the aluminum with a wire brush from Walmart the hart brand has nice ones for like 6 bucks. I had some combined covers for the shocks. Can post pics if wanted. 

CC3169F2-DA8D-4282-8285-3A5D89B9C6FC.jpeg

 

so im currently working with bilstein to get B6 options for the front of the car too so we can balance it out.  how did the B6's work for you just being in the rear?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s been really nice. I have about 60k so they needed replacement anyways. I have only driven maybe 10 miles with them but only seem to loose grip in the front in heavy corners. I changed the bump stop height too. The cars stance seems a little higher in the back but when I do the front it should even out l. They have some on rock auto for my 15 but it looks more complicated and I don’t have a lift or garage haha 😂 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 12:35 AM, Gmandude said:

It’s been really nice. I have about 60k so they needed replacement anyways. I have only driven maybe 10 miles with them but only seem to loose grip in the front in heavy corners. I changed the bump stop height too. The cars stance seems a little higher in the back but when I do the front it should even out l. They have some on rock auto for my 15 but it looks more complicated and I don’t have a lift or garage haha 😂 

 

so you cant tell if the car feels unbalanced or not due to the different compression and rebound rates?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took it out by the salt flats and it seemed better than usual but I’m fighting 60k worth of wear. Am planning on doing the fronts. It took about 5 miles for them to get worn in but after that it’s been smooth sailing ️ I don’t do too hard of corners compared to extra. It doesn’t feel unbalanced to me but I’m not pushing crazy power either. 
I am curious if anyone has tried the front shock conversion to bilstein yet?

Edited by Gmandude
Added q
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
11 hours ago, Gmandude said:

 I don’t do too hard of corners compared to extra. 

Lol, I have prepped my car for an invatational track day at Autoclub Speedway, and those new  tires I f bought in July are about to get tore up !.:shift:  

If Bilstein ever makes a matched set of B6 dampeners I will upgrade. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 3:20 PM, Special_K said:

 

so im currently working with bilstein to get B6 options for the front of the car too so we can balance it out. 

 

Any update with your Bilstein project? IIRC you said it would be a while or ~10k miles. I figure with y'all chasing comets, those miles would be short work. 

 

Looking forward to another JnC Performance spa day!

Edited by onyxbfly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gmandude said:

I took it out by the salt flats and it seemed better than usual but I’m fighting 60k worth of wear. Am planning on doing the fronts. It took about 5 miles for them to get worn in but after that it’s been smooth sailing ️ I don’t do too hard of corners compared to extra. It doesn’t feel unbalanced to me but I’m not pushing crazy power either. 
I am curious if anyone has tried the front shock conversion to bilstein yet?

 

6 minutes ago, Xtra said:

Lol, I have prepped my car for an invatational track day at Autoclub Speedway, and those new  tires I f bought in July are about to get tore up !.:shift:  

If Bilstein ever makes a matched set of B6 dampeners I will upgrade. 

 

Colin and Jim got some goodness coming our way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

 

 

Colin and Jim got some goodness coming our way.

I bought some last night based off there catalog they don’t really stock them most places was hard to find both. Will report when they get here and installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gmandude said:

I bought some last night based off there catalog they don’t really stock them most places was hard to find both. Will report when they get here and installed.

 

What did you buy exactly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

 

What did you buy exactly?

 

8601BF1D-FB1B-43B1-BE9D-8017BE7C8DC1.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 12:20 PM, Special_K said:

 

so im currently working with bilstein to get B6 options for the front of the car too so we can balance it out.  how did the B6's work for you just being in the rear?

Bilstein lists B6 front struts for the Edge now, part # 22-283108 for the  Right front, and  22-283092  for the Left Front. Is this what you are referring to? The rears are listed as part # 24-283113 - Rear 4600 Heavy Duty B6. Bilstein states these are the same shocks and struts that are used in NASCAR Super Trucks, SCORE, and Pro-Truck competitions. Am I missing something here? 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Xtra said:

Bilstein lists B6 front struts for the Edge now, part # 22-283108 for the  Right front, and  22-283092  for the Left Front. Is this what you are referring to? The rears are listed as part # 24-283113 - Rear 4600 Heavy Duty B6. Bilstein states these are the same shocks and struts that are used in NASCAR Super Trucks, SCORE, and Pro-Truck competitions. Am I missing something here? 

 

Spoke with Special K earlier today, those are the correct part numbers for the Bilsteins that he and his dad developed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That makes sense. The rear went well but I still haven’t got the front finished, still waiting on parts. Thanks special k and dad for doing that! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Special_K n' snmjim, you guys have helped develop a plethora of bolt-on performance parts for the Gen 2 Edge platform, and these Bilstein B6 dampeners are just what the Dr. ordered. :rockon:Thanks! :hat_tip: 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I just ordered up a complete set of the Bilstein B6 shocks and struts from Shock Wearhouse for my 2016 Edge Sport. Bought the front struts for $116.50 each and the B6 rear shocks for $94.50 each. The discounts showed up in my shopping cart.

 https://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=523108&selected_year=2016  .

 Mabey someone can find a better price and link that. MSRP on these items is $145 each for the rear shocks and $ 177 each for the front struts. 

Oh, about that track-day I was going to. I have canceled, because of the large turnout there will be limited track time available and it costs $400 bucks. I decided to spend that doe on the B6 damper upgrade instead.  :play:   :)

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
2
On 7/25/2020 at 7:29 PM, Gmandude said:

. I ordered some bilstein b6. pn 24-283113. Bought a master pro fm1586 bump stop. 

 

Gmandude, where did you get those bump-stops?  I will be using the B6 front shocks with H&R springs thereby limiting travel and possibly hitting the bump-stop. Other than cutting down the B6 stops this is a great idea. Can you please post a link to the parts necessary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason, I cannot edit my post. I asked for the link just in case I need them, not sure if I do yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×