Jump to content
BillE

Where is the SelectShift "shift indicator lamp"?

Recommended Posts

Page 12 of the FORD EDGE ST SUPPLEMENT provided with the owners manual (see attached), states that when using the paddle shifters you should take notice of the "shift indicator lamp" which alerts you when to shift to help you achieve the optimum level of efficiency and fuel economy.  Where or what is the "shift indicator lamp" ?   Maybe the  paddles shifters will function better if shifts are made per the "shift indicator lamp" alerts.  Has anyone developed a technique for achieving a satisfactory 3rd to 4th shift (2nd gear might be part of the problem also) using the paddle shifters in the S mode?  

 

 

scan0362.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not unusual to find information in the Owners Manual/Supplement that is not correct. The only shift light I've seen in the ST is when your close to redline the tachometer insert color turns red.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how it says that the vehicle doesn't automatically shift gears if approaching redline.  I call b.s. on that; due to 2nd and 3rd being stupidly identical, the vehicle shifts for me (while using the paddle shifters in sport mode).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, joetr0 said:

Funny how it says that the vehicle doesn't automatically shift gears if approaching redline.  I call b.s. on that; due to 2nd and 3rd being stupidly identical, the vehicle shifts for me (while using the paddle shifters in sport mode).


Some vehicles up shift at redline, others don’t.  My 2000 Lincoln LS was the first selectshift vehicle and it would just bounce off the rev limiter.  It’s not consistent from vehicle to vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, akirby said:


Some vehicles up shift at redline, others don’t.  My 2000 Lincoln LS was the first selectshift vehicle and it would just bounce off the rev limiter.  It’s not consistent from vehicle to vehicle.

Ok, that makes sense...  Do you know by chance; whether or not the PCM learns driving habits while using the paddle shifters?  Almost same idea as a trans flash...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, joetr0 said:

Ok, that makes sense...  Do you know by chance; whether or not the PCM learns driving habits while using the paddle shifters?  Almost same idea as a trans flash...


That’s a common misconception.  Ford transmissions don’t learn driving habits.  They check each shift and compare it to factory spec.  If it’s out of spec it adjusts the pressure for the next shift.  This is by gear, rpm and throttle position.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, akirby said:


That’s a common misconception.  Ford transmissions don’t learn driving habits.  They check each shift and compare it to factory spec.  If it’s out of spec it adjusts the pressure for the next shift.  This is by gear, rpm and throttle position.

Thank you!  This is very useful information.  Since the shifting points for this vehicle are confusing, silly and redundant; would an aftermarket tune have beneficial properties that minimize the weird shifting?  Also, perhaps you would know or could point me in the direction of any future TCBs that pertain to the transmission?  Tyi.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joetr0 said:

Thank you!  This is very useful information.  Since the shifting points for this vehicle are confusing, silly and redundant; would an aftermarket tune have beneficial properties that minimize the weird shifting?  Also, perhaps you would know or could point me in the direction of any future TCBs that pertain to the transmission?  Tyi.


Aftermarket tunes can change the shift characteristics but who knows if it’s better or worse.  Depends on where the problem is.  I don’t have any inside track on a TSBs.  Someone will usually post them here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×