Ford Edge Driver Door Latch recall?

Hello,

So I'm running into this problem where no matter how many times I slam my door, it still says "Driver Door Ajar". And I know I'm getting my door shut, but the car thinks I'm not. I'm at my wits end with it. It use to go away after slamming it 8-12 times, now it wont go away. Its draining my battery and my doors wont lock because it thinks the driver door is still open.

And since I DIDN'T by it from Ford, I bought it off a used lot at Lithia BMW Mini here in Anchorage, Ak, I have to call them first (I already called my local Ford Store)... That was 2 days ago (as of today 4/27/16). Im hoping to get somewhere later on lunch, but I'm not holding my breath. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately this is a common problem. I have had my latch replaced before and it came back. I think Ford just has a faulty design and unfortunately they won't do anything for you unless you are under warranty. Repair cost is fairly high, around 500 so some here have come up with alternate fixes with a switch in parallel. Doo a search on reed switch and you should find a video showing the set up.

• Like 1

All of the "fixes" are temporary at best. But truth is so is replacement of the lock assembly. It will fail again because it is a crappy design. When I get time and get the parts assembled I will be doing the other switch in parallel to fix this for good.

Though I agree it is a crappy design, many don't face the problem. Also Ford updated the switch (Part number ending with B replaced A), so replacements should be better. Also, as per the latest TSB, the fix has to do with some electrical/heating fix. Also now there are alternative aftermarket parts.

http://www.amazon.com/APDTY-Integrated-Driver-Side-7T4Z7821813C-8T4Z7821813A/dp/B00QB4EWQC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1461901118&sr=8-5&keywords=ford+edge+door+latch

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-937-628-Door-Lock-Actuator/dp/B00HRSSSCA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=4132Xo8I1gL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=04PQ6Q6G39ZDBV2V7VE3

• Like 1

I will check my invoice from the last time it was replaced but I recall the dealer saying it was an updated part, but he could have been BSing me. So if I did get the updated one, so much for it being better.

By the way thanks for the links to aftermarket parts. For me though I will stick with the reed switch work around which will cost almost nothing and be significantly easier to do.

Edited by wlepse

• 4 months later...

Im also having the door ajar problem with my 2013 Edge Ltd. I feel like its more of a sensor problem because today I got in & shut the door & the door ajar light stayed on. Stopped at a stop sign then started going again & the door ajar light went off & my doors locked. Without me doing anything. Ford really needs to address this issue with a recall. This is my 1st Ford & Im thinking this will be my last!

My 2012 Edge just started doing the same. No matter how hard or as many times the driver door is closed, the door ajar sensor lights up and there are warning chimes too. The most troubling is the in car lights stay on and the doors won't lock!

After reading about the recall and most recent addition of vehicles to the recall, I believe it is the same issue I have. I called dealer service department for an appointment and they told me my vehicle is not part of the recall.

I am going to have a fight on my hands but I will not be paying one penny to fix this problem!

Please update me to any of your progress with your cars. If there are enough Edge owners that demand help then maybe recall will be expanded.

• Like 1

After reading about the recall and most recent addition of vehicles to the recall, I believe it is the same issue I have. I called dealer service department for an appointment and they told me my vehicle is not part of the recall.

I am going to have a fight on my hands but I will not be paying one penny to fix this problem!

Please update me to any of your progress with your cars. If there are enough Edge owners that demand help then maybe recall will be expanded.

There is NO recall on Edge door latches for this sensor problem. There is a recall on Fusion and other vehicles (not Edge) for door latches but that's due to the latch actually breaking and the door coming open. That happened to my Fusion last week and I got all of the latches replaced per the recall.

They're not going to include the sensor failures in the recall. Good luck to you if you want to fight it but I wouldn't hold my breath. When you pay to get it fixed (which I can almost guarantee will happen) keep the receipt in case Ford does extend the recall to the Edge down the road.

There are several attempts for a repair on this problem, here's a good example on how one fella did a quick, two minute fix. (below). It seems to be related to a plastic "arm" that triggers the switch getting gunked up a sticking in the up position. There are several videos on YouTube, check this one out and see if will help those of you having this problem.

Edited by enigma-2

I filed a complaint with the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration.If there are enough complaints then their engineers will look at the problem.

Curiously,on the the NHTSA website there are 2 communications between Ford manufacturers that say this is a problem and how it should be fixed. When doors can't lock,it is a safety issue. Ford needs to take responsibility.

If you think it's a safety issue you wouldn't be driving around with it not fixed. You'd pay immediately to fix it, then worry about whether you get reimbursed.

I agree it should be covered by an extended warranty, but saying it should be recalled is a stretch.

Door latches that break and let the door open at speed is a serious safety issue.

If you truly think it's a safety issue you should either fix it or stop driving it and convince the NHTSA that it deserves a recall.

I suspect what you really want so for Ford to pay for the repair out of warranty and I don't blame you for wanting that. But short of a NHTSA mandate I don't think it will happen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

2013 Ford Edge, Driver side door was the culprit. Tried the lubrication method which didn't work. But I fixed it in 20 minutes. Remove the bottom door paneling to expose the wiring at the front. Use a tester that's earthed. You'll see a medium sized green wire. Earth that out and look to see if the Door Ajar warning goes off. If so, just run a wire from there to earth it out. Easy. However, remember that this now means you have no warning when a door is ajar, so that's a liability you have to take on yourself.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, punman said:

I received a letter from Ford yesterday (February 17, 2020) saying they will replace the door latch on my 2013 Ford Edge SEL (FWD).  SO there you go.  After all these years, Ford decides to do the right thing and correct this issue.

Does it specifically state the door ajar warning is covered?  I thought it was the same as Fusion - the door latch itself fails and you can't close the door, which is a pretty rare occurrence.  Not the door ajar sensor issue.

• 3 weeks later...