20S42 - Recall for 2015-18 Edge and 2016-18 MKX - Brake Jounce Hoses

omar302

DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 12, 2020 – Ford Motor Company is issuing three safety recalls in North America.

Safety recall for select 2015-18 Ford Edge and 2016-18 Lincoln MKX vehicles

Affected vehicles have front brake jounce hoses that could rupture. A ruptured front brake jounce hose will cause a progressive brake fluid leak. If the brake fluid reservoir is depleted below a certain level, the brake fluid warning indicator light will illuminate. The driver may experience an increase in brake pedal travel, together with a reduction in the rate of deceleration, increasing the risk of a crash.

Ford is not aware of any reports of accident or injury related to this condition. This action affects 488,594 vehicles in the U.S. and federal territories, 62,876 in Canada and 7,140 in Mexico.

Affected vehicles are as follows:

2015-18 Ford Edge vehicles built at Oakville Assembly Plant from June 25, 2014, to Dec. 21, 2017 and 2016-18 Lincoln MKX vehicles built there from Nov. 11, 2014, to Dec. 21, 2017
Dealers will replace the front brake jounce hoses with new hoses that have a revised braid material. The Ford reference number for this recall is 20S42.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2020/08/12/ford-motor-company-issues-three-safety-recalls-in-north-america.html

• Like 4

2 hours ago, omar302 said:

DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 12, 2020 – Ford Motor Company is issuing three safety recalls in North America.

Safety recall for select 2015-18 Ford Edge and 2016-18 Lincoln MKX vehicles

Affected vehicles have front brake jounce hoses that could rupture. A ruptured front brake jounce hose will cause a progressive brake fluid leak. If the brake fluid reservoir is depleted below a certain level, the brake fluid warning indicator light will illuminate. The driver may experience an increase in brake pedal travel, together with a reduction in the rate of deceleration, increasing the risk of a crash.

Ford is not aware of any reports of accident or injury related to this condition. This action affects 488,594 vehicles in the U.S. and federal territories, 62,876 in Canada and 7,140 in Mexico.

Affected vehicles are as follows:

2015-18 Ford Edge vehicles built at Oakville Assembly Plant from June 25, 2014, to Dec. 21, 2017 and 2016-18 Lincoln MKX vehicles built there from Nov. 11, 2014, to Dec. 21, 2017
Dealers will replace the front brake jounce hoses with new hoses that have a revised braid material. The Ford reference number for this recall is 20S42.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2020/08/12/ford-motor-company-issues-three-safety-recalls-in-north-america.html

Well, looks like I'm going SS braided and swapping fluid then. Time to dust off the Power Motive bleeder.

• 2 weeks later...

2015-2018 Ford Edge and 2016-2018 Lincoln MKX

Front Brake Hoses Could Rupture
A ruptured front brake hose will cause a brake fluid leak, lengthening the distance needed to stop the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V469000

Manufacturer Ford Motor Company

Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC, SERVICE BRAKES

Potential Number of Units Affected 488,594

Summary

Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2015-2018 Ford Edge and 2016-2018 Lincoln MKX vehicles. The front brake hoses may rupture prematurely.

Remedy

Ford will notify owners, and dealers will replace the front brake hoses with the new hoses that have a revised braid material, free of charge. Parts are not currently available. Ford will send an interim notification beginning September 14, 2020 to make owners aware of the issue. A second letter will be mailed once parts are available. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 20S42.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

7 Affected Products 

Vehicles

MAKE MODEL YEAR

FORD EDGE 2015-2018
LINCOLN MKX 2016-2018
  • Like 2

Well your service manager is a tad wrong there...IT IS A RECALL.  Ford just doesn't have parts to remedy it yet.  Owner notification won't happen until mid September if I remember correctly (info from Ford OASIS which matches original post).

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, AutoBuff said:

I hope I haven't caused confusion by posting this recall notice.  I know many owners will be notified by mail but one concern that I have is those that don't receive the notice because their vehicle was bought used or the owner has since moved to a new address.

No confusion, and agree it could assist someone that might not receive the mail when it arrives.

I got early notice from Carfax on the day it was published.

• 1004ron changed the title to 20S42 - Recall for 2015-18 Edge and 2016-18 MKX - Brake Jounce Hoses
3 hours ago, niceonept said:

I wonder why they haven't done this recall elsewhere in the world. All the European Edges were built at Oakville too.

This recall is specific by Ford Motor Company which is usually responsible for vehicles sold in North America. There might be another recall by Ford of Europe. But since the Euro Edge had/has a different engines & transmissions, the front brakes might also be different and hence might not be affected.

• 1 month later...

I got the notice on Monday that parts are now available and we can get our cars serviced.

Does anyone have access to Ford's procedure for the dealers, as to what will be covered under the recall?

I don't want to have the dealer trying to charge me for the brake fluid flush that I assume is part of the procedure.

• 2 weeks later...

Last Wednesday I got a notice from Ford that there is a recall on my 2016 Edge for a chance for a break line to rupture. It also sead that parts were in stock. The next  Friday night a hose poppe. I limped it home. Called the Dealership Saturday morning and was told they would order the parts and let me know when they come in.  The last time they had my Edge it took them a month to replace a cracked flexplate ( a very common problem with  2015+ Edges) this car is becoming a real pain.

I took my edge in April to get the RDU replaced, and while they had it they performed the brake line recall without me having to ask them to. 

Previous to this I had called another Ford dealer who said they didn’t have the parts and would let me know when they got it. I still haven’t been called by them. 

Take that however you want, but I wonder if they have the parts and just don’t think it’s worth their time to do the recall? IDK. I was pleased they did it though. Along with the steering bolt recall. 

• 2 weeks later...

I called today to make an appointment to get this done. They said the parts are on national backorder, and they figure at least a couple of months.

Considering we were originally notified last August, what the heck is taking so long? I know the pandemic screwed up a lot of manufacturing but 10 months is a long time.

I highly recommend reviewing you lines ASAP. I had one blow out while driving which was pretty scary. The fact these parts have been backordered for over a year is also very alarming!

Attached three of my pictures from my break lines, the one that split, the others that are ready too!

Frontdrivers.png

front passenger.png

rear driver.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...