20S42 - Recall for 2015-18 Edge and 2016-18 MKX - Brake Jounce Hoses

omar302

So... I got tired of waiting on ford and the recall parts,  you can order the new model parts without too much worry. F2GZ-2078-H and F2GZ-2078-G are the replacement hoses for the recall (they have a slightly different PN as part of the recall starting with a J).  The dealers screwed me around on getting the right parts, but you can order them on Tasca or even Ebay easily and do the work yourself in 45 min or so. 

On 8/25/2021 at 6:45 PM, clegg78 said:

If you want to do the work yourself: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133607477882 and https://www.ebay.com/itm/133607479147 

(These dont include washers, but I am going to reuse the existing ones.)

reusing a copper washer is not a great idea, especially for brakes..

Copper gets work hardened and may not seal well after having been crushed once, unless you anneal them.

As I understand it, getting copper hot and then quenching it will soften it (unlike steel where this process hardens it).

Then the copper will be soft enough to crush further and be better likely to seal.

OR, just replace them..

On 8/28/2021 at 4:28 AM, Cerberus said:

reusing a copper washer is not a great idea, especially for brakes..

Copper gets work hardened and may not seal well after having been crushed once, unless you anneal them.

As I understand it, getting copper hot and then quenching it will soften it (unlike steel where this process hardens it).

Then the copper will be soft enough to crush further and be better likely to seal.

OR, just replace them..

Good call on that, I found some 10mm copper washers at the local parts store and used them :)

Got my brain swap done and new hoses on the front!  No waiting on the dealer for their delays

0A59080F-87B9-4872-BC20-A34E84F15EAA.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 10:04 PM, clegg78 said:

Good call on that, I found some 10mm copper washers at the local parts store and used them :)

Got my brain swap done and new hoses on the front!  No waiting on the dealer for their delays

Any pointers for this job?

I plan on sealing the master cylinder reservoir cap while I remove the hoses to limit fluid loss introducing air into the system.

Want to avoid air in the ABS unit.

With the new hoses installed I plan on a fluid flush which I've been holding off until the hoses are replaced.

8 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

Any pointers for this job?

I plan on sealing the master cylinder reservoir cap while I remove the hoses to limit fluid loss introducing air into the system.

Want to avoid air in the ABS unit.

With the new hoses installed I plan on a fluid flush which I've been holding off until the hoses are replaced.

Yeah I left the master cyl closed/reservoir cap on.   If you are just replacing the hoses and not re-mounting the calipers, the only real important thing would be to make sure you clean the area around the hose connections well as it will be out of your view for the most part.    Ensure you have a lot of water/brake cleaner around...   I tried both ways of disconnecting the hose at the chassis first then the caliper, and vice versa and both methods make quite a mess.   Have the old brake hose unbolted at the strut and ready to be removed when you start, put down some pig blanket/absorbent pad to catch all the fluid.   

Also make sure the right hose goes on the right side :)  they are directional. 

That's really it, just be sure to wash off all the brake fluid that goes all over!  You shouldn't drain much out of the reservoir doing this, but make sure its topped off before you start. 

• Like 2

Thanks @clegg78

I plan to fill the reservoir leaving very little air then put the cap on with a mechanics rubber glove to stop the caps breather from allowing air in - that should significantly reduce the fluid loss/mess.

See attached picture of the goods I picked up from the dealership.

IMG_7572.JPG

Edited by 1004ron

14 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

Those part numbers don't match what I got.

IMG_7573.JPG

The J2GZ parts are the actual Recall tracked parts.   Its to easily identify if a recall has been done.   The parts above F2GZ are the OEM standard parts that are shipped on all the cars.  Mine that I ordered were mfg'd March 2021 (edit, just looked at a pic I took to get the right date) , so well after the recall and parts fix was done.   They are the same hose/fitting otherwise.   

Most dealers/parts depts wont sell or even offer the J2GZ parts for non dealer installs and parts supply issues. 

Edited by clegg78

I completed the brake hose recall and a brake fluid flush today.

The rubber glove on the fluid filler defeats the caps breather and limited the amount of fluid mess - with the old hose removed there was no dripping of fluid.

For the flush I use a home made pressure bleeder and my oil extractor vacuum - the vacuum isn't really needed, but it makes for a no hassle, no mess.

IMG_7586.JPG

IMG_7587.JPG

IMG_7588.JPG

IMG_7589.JPG

IMG_7590.JPG

IMG_7591.JPG

IMG_7593.JPG

IMG_7594.JPG

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, normkol said:

I finally got an appointment to have this recall done - January 4, 2022!

If I ever buy another Edge, it will not be from this dealer.

That seems kind of normal for all dealers right now, Ford is really dragging their feet on parts for this repair!

• 2 months later...

I have a 2016 Ford Edge and was notified last September by mail that a recall was in process, but Ford did not have the parts.  Being in a pandemic this didn't bother me because Ford said there was no immediate danger and the service department at a regular maintenance appointment looked at it and said I was OK.  Earlier this year I received a notice from Ford that parts were now available and I should book an appointment with the selling or closest dealer.  When I contacted my dealer they said parts were not available because Ford didn't send them enough.  I assumed they were working with Ford to obtain more parts so I didn't complain.  I just got another letter from Ford  to remind me this recall needed to be done and that parts were available in Canada for the recall.  I called the service department at my dealer and was told they only had parts for one side of my car and the other side was on back order.  I have no idea why the parts would be different based on the side of the car so I called Ford Canada.  The customer rep confirmed parts were available and the easiest way to get everything resolved was to book an oil change and then have the work done while the car was in.  I have a previous issue with Ford and the dealer over the rear light bar, which filled with water.  Although that problem was noted early on with my Edge, it never reached the level that Ford deemed required to do the work under warranty.  About 4-6 months after warranty expiration (but much less than the mileage limit of 100K kilometers) the light bar completely filled with water shorting out amongst other things my backup lights.  The estimate to replace the light bar (it cannot be fixed, only replaced) was $2000. for the part with labour additional.  Ford denied responsibility because of warranty expiration.  I told Ford and the Service Manager at the dealer than I would not spend any more money with Ford or this dealer.  In addition, I since learned that the light bar problem has been accommodated in parts of the US by a CSP, but obviously Canadian customers have been left out in the wet and cold.

So I told the customer rep at Ford that booking a maintenance appointment for something unrelated to the recall was not an option and reconfirmed that I wanted no interactions with either Ford or the dealer going forward.  The rep told me I needed to call the Service Manager to escalate.  This was the same Service Manager I dealt with on the other issue.  However, I did call this Service Manager who was antagonistic to say the least from the start.  Apparently the service rep I had called initially had checked the parts availability because I told him of the Ford letter and in fact found out he could and did order the missing parts.  He had also booked a service appointment to do the work on Dec 21st which was fine with me.  This was not fine with the Service Manager who said I was a danger to his staff and then cancelled my appointment and told me I was barred from the dealership and should go elsewhere for the recall work, since I did not want to 'work with his people'.  I am sure there are no reports about me and abuse of the staff at the dealer, especially since I tend to like the actual tech's and admin doing the service work.  My only issue is with Ford and dealer management, but I guess telling them I would not buy another Ford and would go elsewhere for my service work is abusive.  I have been a Ford customer for over 40 years (quite happily and uncomplaining) and have never been treated this way by a Ford dealer, so making this decision was not easy.  So Ford will not allow escalation of the issue and I am left to finding some other shop that is acceptable to Ford and will do the work even though it is not the selling or closest dealer, and this would require considerably more distance and time because this dealer is the only one in town.

I expected a lot more from Ford and this dealer and have been left with the impression that neither group is even interested in resolving this issue equitably.  Perhaps I'm just thinking of the days when Ford proclaimed about the customer being Job 1, but that concern with the customer seems to have completely vanished.

I called back Ford Canada and was told Ford could not make the dealer perform.  They suggested another dealer considerably further away.  They would not assist me in contacting any other dealers and my best option would be to contact the owner/general manager and escalate the issue.  When I asked to speak to this Ford reps manager I was told bluntly this issue was could not be escalate and he would not put a manager on the line and would not provide me with any other contact information.  

I called the dealership  and asked to speak with the GM (if you're counting I've now been pinged back and forth 5 times already) and was told he wasn't available, and the receptionist had no idea of who the owner was or how to reach him.  I did talk to the General Sales Manager (the only one at the dealership who seemed to have any sense of customer relationship and was helpful) who told me there was no GM (I guess that's why he wasn't available) but did give me the email address of the owner.  I am now waiting for a response from the owner.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got this recall done today. Appointment was made 3 months ago.

I also had the PTU fluid changed.

I was prepared for them to tell me I needed a new battery, since mine is original at 5 1/2 years. Strange thing is when I brought the car in, the service writer pushed the ignition button once so he could see the mileage, but left it that way. After about 10 minutes, the car jockey came to take the car away and it was dead. Hell of a way to test the battery. So, I had them replace it.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Adding Safety Recall documents as historical record and to benefit future inquiry...

529543179_SafetyRecallR20S42-Supplement1-DealerBulletin-TOP.thumb.jpg.089d9ea08034cc20de60390fed77667c.jpg1995577803_SafetyRecallR20S42-Supplement1-DealerBulletin-BOTTOM.thumb.jpg.08f04c234f3a39d6afdc8c0fb080db36.jpg

1202476156_SafetyRecallR20S42-Supplement1-DealerBulletin-BrandedTitleEligibility.thumb.jpg.eb6d6f14ef5abd9de06b457ccee966af.jpg

284457256_SafetyRecallR20S42-Supplement1-OwnerRefunds.thumb.jpg.2701b2cc280377d005bbd8bba6a53cd1.jpg

1702132098_SafetyRecallR20S42-Supplement1-LaborandParts.thumb.jpg.433da870be74031f4c924cd1fe6e33f7.jpg

Additional documents as PDF download links ...

Safety Recall R20S42 - Supplement 1 - Technical Info.pdf

Safety Recall R20S42 - Supplement 1 - Ford Owner Letter.pdf

Safety Recall R20S42 - Supplement 1 - Lincoln Owner Letter.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 3