Jump to content
ThugFordEdge3.5

2017 Edge 3.5L V6 Getting 34 MPG

Recommended Posts

I have been driving on the highway at different speeds with cruise control on at 70 MPH and then 80 MPH and also 90 MPH. I have the dash set to watch fuel efficiency and I get 6.8L/100km. That turns out to be 34.58 MPG. Now I'm not sure if the reason I'm getting such good milage would be because something is broken or not working correctly, but I don't think I've heard of anyone getting this before. Usual the milage is worse than the claim on the sticker. Has anyone gotten these numbers before? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

are you looking at instantaneous mpg perhaps, or right after fillup?  this is typically when you get into the 3x's with a 3.5.  A 2.0 typically easily manages 3x mpgs on highway drives.

 

plus is this an imperial measurement?  have to do a conversion to get the EPA rated mpg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

are you looking at instantaneous mpg perhaps, or right after fillup?  this is typically when you get into the 3x's with a 3.5.  A 2.0 typically easily manages 3x mpgs on highway drives.

 

plus is this an imperial measurement?  have to do a conversion to get the EPA rated mpg.

 

I pick the option called fuel economy. Not trip 1 or trip 2. It's looks like this after driving for 10 minutes on cruise control at 80 MPH. It's says fuel economy on top and then says average 6.8l/100km and I also press OK and hold down to reset it first.

I'll add a screenshot of the example I found online just now. When I do the conversion to U.S miles per gallon it gives me 34.59 U.S miles per gallon. I do have over 3/4 of tank full of gas and lately I been using premium 91 octane, and I also use Lucas upper cylinder lubricant or marvel mystery oil in every gas fill up. I use 0W-20 Amsoil Signature Series with liquid moly Cera tec friction modifier along with K&N oil filter and Wix engine air filter.. First time using Cera tec friction modifier was in my last oil change 3 months ago. I still can't see these products making this much of a difference on gas mileage, but Maybe it's the combination of everything I'm using. I hope it's because everything is working great and not something that's about to let go lol. BTW, I have the basic duratec 3.5L V6 no turbo

Screenshot_2020-08-28-18-39-53.png

Edited by ThugFordEdge3.5
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got that once when I had my 3.5l, with the wind pushing. Turned around for return trip same day she was doing 24. On a 10 hour drive I averaged 28. I would be amazed if it maintained that over a few hours. Most also don't reset it on the highway, they include getting up to speed and such resulting in much lower mpg. I'd get alot better than 30-32 out of my ST if I did like you. Even the ratings are calculated over an entire tank, not if you were already going XX speed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuel Economy
Distance to Empty - Shows the approximate distance your vehicle can travel before
running out of fuel.
Inst Fuel Economy - Shows a visual graph of your instantaneous fuel economy along
with your Avg MPG since the function was last reset.
Long Term Fuel Economy - Shows your long term fuel economy.
Average MPG — Shows the average fuel economy for a given trip.
All Values — Shows all fuel economy values (DTE, Inst Fuel Econ, Avg Fuel).
Auto StartStop - Available Auto Start-Stop messaging will provide details about what
is happening with your system. See Information Messages (page 112).
Note: You can reset your average fuel economy by pressing and holding the OK button on
the left hand steering wheel controls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Perblue said:

I got that once when I had my 3.5l, with the wind pushing. Turned around for return trip same day she was doing 24. On a 10 hour drive I averaged 28. I would be amazed if it maintained that over a few hours. Most also don't reset it on the highway, they include getting up to speed and such resulting in much lower mpg. I'd get alot better than 30-32 out of my ST if I did like you. Even the ratings are calculated over an entire tank, not if you were already going XX speed.

It could very well be the wind helping out. I can't remember if I had watched the gauge both ways going and coming. I'll have to test that next time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Fuel Economy
Distance to Empty - Shows the approximate distance your vehicle can travel before
running out of fuel.
Inst Fuel Economy - Shows a visual graph of your instantaneous fuel economy along
with your Avg MPG since the function was last reset.
Long Term Fuel Economy - Shows your long term fuel economy.
Average MPG — Shows the average fuel economy for a given trip.
All Values — Shows all fuel economy values (DTE, Inst Fuel Econ, Avg Fuel).
Auto StartStop - Available Auto Start-Stop messaging will provide details about what
is happening with your system. See Information Messages (page 112).
Note: You can reset your average fuel economy by pressing and holding the OK button on
the left hand steering wheel controls.

 

It's was the inst fuel economy that I had on. Also pressed ok button for reset first. I'm just changing my rear differential oil today. Draining as I type this. 38,543 km and is it ever dark silver color. Looks like 500 ml total left in there. Supposed to be 1.1 liters lol. I'll say there is 600 ml since I can't get it all. I wonder if I'll get even better gas mileage after this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ThugFordEdge3.5 said:

 

I pick the option called fuel economy. Not trip 1 or trip 2. It's looks like this after driving for 10 minutes on cruise control at 80 MPH. It's says fuel economy on top and then says average 6.8l/100km and I also press OK and hold down to reset it first.

I'll add a screenshot of the example I found online just now. When I do the conversion to U.S miles per gallon it gives me 34.59 U.S miles per gallon. I do have over 3/4 of tank full of gas and lately I been using premium 91 octane, and I also use Lucas upper cylinder lubricant or marvel mystery oil in every gas fill up. I use 0W-20 Amsoil Signature Series with liquid moly Cera tec friction modifier along with K&N oil filter and Wix engine air filter.. First time using Cera tec friction modifier was in my last oil change 3 months ago. I still can't see these products making this much of a difference on gas mileage, but Maybe it's the combination of everything I'm using. I hope it's because everything is working great and not something that's about to let go lol. BTW, I have the basic duratec 3.5L V6 no turbo

Screenshot_2020-08-28-18-39-53.png

Isn’t the first little line left of 15 your real average mpg?  I don’t really look at that gauge for mpg. I try using trip 2 as ave mpg. Sometimes I never reset 2 and after 4 or 5k Miles I’m at 19 mpg. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the gauge you should use. Almost 100 hours of driving there. 

BFE4A812-94CE-4C60-A573-806DB86381D2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Tightanium said:

Isn’t the first little line left of 15 your real average mpg?  I don’t really look at that gauge for mpg. I try using trip 2 as ave mpg. Sometimes I never reset 2 and after 4 or 5k Miles I’m at 19 mpg. 

 

38 minutes ago, Tightanium said:

This is the gauge you should use. Almost 100 hours of driving there. 

BFE4A812-94CE-4C60-A573-806DB86381D2.png

 

I do have the trip 1 and 2 on. It's been calculating for couple months. Mostly in town driving with about 30 minutes of highway and it's at 14.2l/100km conversion in MPG is 16.56 MPG,  and the newer trip 1 that's about 3 weeks old is showing I think 13.8l100km but I'm guessing it's gonna slowly get up to trip 2 at 14.2l/100km. I get horrible gas mileage in town. Is it possible one or 2 of my injectors are plugged or dirty causing less gas to be injected when going faster? Maybe that's why I'm getting such good results when going higher steady speeds. Or maybe cruise control activates the AWD less when it's maintaining a specific speed instead of having constant different acceleration inputs that usually activate the AWD. BTW, I don't think I have MPG calculation option on my 2017 Edge Titanium. It has pretty much all other conversions. Wonder if that's because I got mine in Canada? I'll have to check to make sure. If I have the MPG I'll certainly use that from now on.

Edited by ThugFordEdge3.5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ThugFordEdge3.5 said:

 

 

I do have the trip 1 and 2 on. It's been calculating for couple months. Mostly in town driving with about 30 minutes of highway and it's at 14.2l/100km conversion in MPG is 16.56 MPG,  and the newer trip 1 that's about 3 weeks old is showing I think 13.8l100km but I'm guessing it's gonna slowly get up to trip 2 at 14.2l/100km. I get horrible gas mileage in town. Is it possible one or 2 of my injectors are plugged or dirty causing less gas to be injected when going faster? Maybe that's why I'm getting such good results when going higher steady speeds.

 

Doubt it you would have problems showing up. I got 14-16mpg city driving lots of stop and go.

 

22 minutes ago, ThugFordEdge3.5 said:

 

 

Or maybe cruise control activates the AWD less when it's maintaining a specific speed instead of having constant different acceleration inputs that usually activate the AWD. 

 

This does happen on all edges.

 

23 minutes ago, ThugFordEdge3.5 said:

 

 

BTW, I don't think I have MPG calculation option on my 2017 Edge Titanium. It has pretty much all other conversions. Wonder if that's because I got mine in Canada? I'll have to check to make sure. If I have the MPG I'll certainly use that from now on.

 

Go into your settings on the left screen and change  Units from L/100km to mpg. It will switch it all to US mpg. You still have to calculate canadian mpg. Which by the way I did achieve sometimes with my 3.5 if you are calculating canadian mpg, but in  US mpg like I said above I did once with a tail wind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Perblue said:

 

Doubt it you would have problems showing up. I got 14-16mpg city driving lots of stop and go.

 

 

This does happen on all edges.

 

 

Go into your settings on the left screen and change  Units from L/100km to mpg. It will switch it all to US mpg. You still have to calculate canadian mpg. Which by the way I did achieve sometimes with my 3.5 if you are calculating canadian mpg, but in  US mpg like I said above I did once with a tail wind.

 

Ok, I just came back from driving around the city, and while driving I found the option your speaking of. I switched to MPG. I also hit ok to reset, and last 10 minutes of driving I got an average of 22 MPG but it was bouncing from 21.4 to 23 when I looked a few times. When I got home I checked before turning off and was at 22 MPG. Seems pretty good but it's really depending on how many red lights I hit. It's most likely gonna get worse as I sit in drive thru for coffee all the time lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThugFordEdge3.5 said:

 

Ok, I just came back from driving around the city, and while driving I found the option your speaking of. I switched to MPG. I also hit ok to reset, and last 10 minutes of driving I got an average of 22 MPG but it was bouncing from 21.4 to 23 when I looked a few times. When I got home I checked before turning off and was at 22 MPG. Seems pretty good but it's really depending on how many red lights I hit. It's most likely gonna get worse as I sit in drive thru for coffee all the time lol. 

 

Yep, drive thrus, idling and lights/stop signs will drop that fast. That's why I only averaged 14 city with the 3.5, not many cruising roads here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2020 at 11:15 PM, Perblue said:

 

Yep, drive thrus, idling and lights/stop signs will drop that fast. That's why I only averaged 14 city with the 3.5, not many cruising roads here.

 

Well, I figured out why I'm getting amazing gas mileage. I went in to grab coffee instead of drive thru, and I could hear what sounds like a full pressurized propane tank wide open leaking air just below the rear of my Edge. Basically the gas tank area. I'm assuming my fuel pump or fuel line is losing pressure. There isn't any gas leaking, just pure air sound coming out from around there. So I think that rules out fuel line leaking air. it might be the fuel tank ventilation system that's plugged up. I'll have to check it all out. I did notice that when I press the gas pedal I don't get the same torque as I used to. Slightly less power. That 35 MPG was unfortunately to good to be true lol

Edited by ThugFordEdge3.5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that's what is, it's not often you gain mileage with a problem. Will be interesting to hear what it is and if it dips down. Unless you want to leave it to keep the mileage haha, but I'm sure it would cause other issues down the road.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Perblue said:

If that's what is, it's not often you gain mileage with a problem. Will be interesting to hear what it is and if it dips down. Unless you want to leave it to keep the mileage haha, but I'm sure it would cause other issues down the road.

 

I'll know what it is for sure in a few days. I just ordered the Launch X431 V+ Professional diagnostic scan tool. The first thing I'll test will be the EVAP system, then fuel pump. The air hissing noise starts off low when the SUV starts for the first time of the day. If it's running for about 20 minutes or more it gets much louder. I wonder if that might be the EGR valve causing a build up of pressure from the suction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ThugFordEdge3.5 said:

 

I'll know what it is for sure in a few days. I just ordered the Launch X431 V+ Professional diagnostic scan tool. The first thing I'll test will be the EVAP system, then fuel pump. The air hissing noise starts off low when the SUV starts for the first time of the day. If it's running for about 20 minutes or more it gets much louder. I wonder if that might be the EGR valve causing a build up of pressure from the suction. 

 

The egr valve is no where near the tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2020 at 10:35 PM, Perblue said:

 

The egr valve is no where near the tank.

Very true. I think I meant the EVAP canister in the rear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThugFordEdge3.5 said:

Very true. I think I meant the EVAP canister in the rear. 

 

That makes sense! 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×