Sign in to follow this  
fishx65

Front axle shaft replacement (pretty easy??)

Got a clicky passenger side CV joint on my 2011 FWD SEL.  Anyone here do this job themselves lately?  I usually do repairs like this myself and was just wondering  if it's worth it.  Looks like a whole new shaft is only around a hundred bucks. Any particular brand better then others?

Haven’t tried replacing on my Edge yet but just did the passenger side CV axle on my Raptor.  Literally took 30 mins and I’ve never done it before.  Check Rockauto for parts, replaced with OEM.

FWD is easier than AWD, but yes, with your skill level, you can DIY.  Just be sure to have the tools you need on hand ("rent" from parts stores), read the factory instructions thoroughly, and as ezndo said, use OEM axles.

Buck Newby has a nice YT channel, and he does have some tips for both driver and pass side axles that you may find helpful.  You can always PM him on this forum.

https://www.youtube.com/user/buckn32/videos

I, unfortunately, just did this on my 2016 Sport.  It's not bad, once you free it from the carrier bearing.  Use a long pry bar and, carefully, push it out from the carrier bearing it's it's home free from there.  Literally should take less than 30min. if you have the correct tools.

Shumax

• Like 2