Yes, the Edge does have a blower motor in the base of the seat as well as the back.

Thank you for that! I have an appointment to bring in my Edge this Saturday. They had no idea that it was an issue on the Edge yet, so they want to diagnose the problem. My hope is one of two things: 1) It's just a disconnected hose, or 2) They can follow the same TSB as the F-150 to fix it. We shall see!

If anyone else gets more detailed info on a fix before Saturday, please let me know so I can let them know how someone else resolved it.

Ok, so picked up my Edge yesterday after work. They installed front and rear splashguards and the rear bumper protector, plus took a look at the seats.

There's a lot more to the story, but I'll keep it "short".

1) The technician's report said that he inspected the cooling function on the seats and that they were "working as Ford designed them to". Hearing the service person behind the desk read that to me really pissed me off :rant2: . After getting the info from this forum that reinforces that the seat back should be cooling, I know for a fact that it is not at all working the way Ford designed it to.

2) I made the service person come out to the car with me and we sat in it for at least 10 minutes with the A/C seats on full blast. SURPRISE SURPRISE...the seat back wasn't cooling at all. My lower back was sweating. What made me mad next was her trying to explain that that's how it's supposed to be :banghead: . She said that what I needed to do to get the seat back to cool was to turn the climate control to Max A/C and full fan on the feet. And that somehow that was supposed to cool the seat back. I gave her a blank stare for a few seconds and then flat out told her that is impossible and that is not at all how it works. I pulled the "I'm an engineer" card on her and then she stopped bullshitting me.

3) I finally got her to agree that the seat backs are not cooling. I explained to her that I do not expect them to fix it immediately because I understand that they're not going to take any action to fix something like this until Ford tells them exactly how to fix it. Totally understand that, no problem. What I had to hammer into her head was that I needed them to recognize that there is an issue and that the A/C seats are NOT working the way that Ford designed them to.

4) She is going to talk to the technician today and give me a call to update me. After they document it confirming there is an issue, I will call the Ford 800 number to report it. If someone on here can suggest a more efficient way to report the issue, please let me know!

5) I updated my sales guy on the issue and he is going to do some research for me on the Edges in the lot.

6) As the service person was making a note in the ticket that she came out with me and noticed the seats aren't working, I asked the guy next to her if he has heard of this being an issue. He said he knew about the F150 seats having the same issue and that he suspects the seats are the same. He started doing some digging, but I didn't have time to stick around to hear what he found.

In conclusion, this problem is not the end of the world and it does not make me want to return the car. However, I am paying a lot of money for this car and I expect everything to either be working 100% on it or for Ford to be actively working to resolve any issues ASAP. I sound like such a customer, but I don't think my expectations are out of this world!

Thank you boiler for keeping us up to date and taking the time to post the details.

I do agree with you; paid way too much for things not to work as advertised. I'll be calling tomorrow to speak with my rep and sales person. Let's all do this to get some action by Ford. After all it's not like they have to worry as much as VW does!!!?

My passenger seat cools both back and bottom. The driver seat only cools the bottom. I understand the issue but it does not seem to me like a deal breaker. I have not had any other issues with the Edge and have been satisfied with it. I get no rattles anywhere and the cabin is super quiet. I will continue to look at this thread and see if there has been a remedy to the seat cooling issue. Thanks guys!

Spoke to my sales guy after he was able to test out an Edge on the lot. He sent me the picture below that shows where the cooling on the seat back was coming from. He also said that he could hear the air flow if he put his ear over this location.

I tried it out myself and I can also hear air flow in this location, however, I still do not feel any cooling. So I will probably make a trip out to my dealer within the next week or so to see what it feels like on the car he tried out. Hopefully I can speak with the technician around this time as well to see what he has to say.

Seat Back Cooling General Location

I currently have a case number for this issue. Waiting for Ford Regional to contact me as to how they want to proceed. The representative on the phone made it sound like they were going to want me to bring my Edge back to the dealership for further troubleshooting. I spoke with my service guy at the dealership and he says there is nothing else they can do until Ford comes up with a fix. According to my dealership some type of exhaust ducting will have to be installed in the seat back to get the hot air out. Will post more when I hear back from the regional reps.

Wow. Incredible. How did Ford miss something like this? I guess everything is designed and tested via computer these days??

My cooled seats are virtually useless. When I turn them on the seat back heats up. I would have never purchased the black suede seats in AZ if I knew this option was going to do what it is doing.

Wow. Incredible. How did Ford miss something like this? I guess everything is designed and tested via computer these days??

My cooled seats are virtually useless. When I turn them on the seat back heats up. I would have never purchased the black suede seats in AZ if I knew this option was going to do what it is doing.

It isn't like they missed this given the fact they had issues with the F-150s seats (same design). It is just a matter of "Welp cross your fingers cause we need this option in the Edge"

Just left the dealership and they are ordering parts to fix the lack of cooled seats in the back (part of seat). Not sure what they are ordering but they say they have a fix (maybe something similar to the F150?).

Will update as I get my car gets fixed.

Edited by GT500R

Just left the dealership and they are ordering parts to fix the lack of cooled seats in the back (part of seat). Not sure what they are ordering but they say they have a fix (maybe something similar to the F150?).

Will update as I get my car gets fixed.

Please definitely update after your repair. And if you can get specific info on how your dealer did the repair, that would be great. My dealership isn't going to budge until they get something from Ford, so hopefully there's an actual service bulletin out.

• 2 weeks later...

I did get a response back form Ford Customer Service regarding my case. They said they are aware of the problem but at this time there is no fix for the issue. I spoke with the rep this morning and she checked the status of my case once again for me. It states as of today "No repair at this time". I have been instructed to check with my service rep from time to time to see if a TSB has been issued. Not exactly the response I was expecting. I thought they would at least notify me when a fix became available. After dealing with the dealership and now Ford Customer Service the impression I get from their responses to this issue is that cooled seats aren't a big deal and why are you complaining. I guess I will start bugging the dealership every couple of weeks and hope a TSB comes down soon.

I did get a response back form Ford Customer Service regarding my case. They said they are aware of the problem but at this time there is no fix for the issue. I spoke with the rep this morning and she checked the status of my case once again for me. It states as of today "No repair at this time". I have been instructed to check with my service rep from time to time to see if a TSB has been issued. Not exactly the response I was expecting. I thought they would at least notify me when a fix became available. After dealing with the dealership and now Ford Customer Service the impression I get from their responses to this issue is that cooled seats aren't a big deal and why are you complaining. I guess I will start bugging the dealership every couple of weeks and hope a TSB comes down soon.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Be courteous and respectful, but be persistent. You are your own best advocate. :)

• Like 2