For 2019 owners, on my ST the front seats only cool/heat the bottom cushion and not the seat back.  Is that the way they are suppose to work?  Any other vehicle I have had with those functions, it provided coverage for both the bottom and seat back.  

Thanks

15 hours ago, Sage said:

For 2019 owners, on my ST the front seats only cool/heat the bottom cushion and not the seat back.  Is that the way they are suppose to work?  Any other vehicle I have had with those functions, it provided coverage for both the bottom and seat back.  

Thanks

The forum search doesn't work well, but Google helped find this:

Its a long standing issue,  for which Ford doesn't have a good repair.

I plan on doing the MOD on mine soon.

Edited by 1004ron

4 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Its a long standing issue,  for which Ford doesn't have a good repair.

I plan on doing the MOD on mine soon.

Do you have any up to date info on the Mod or how it would apply to a 2019? Surfed through some of those threads, but there are a lot of dead links.

2 hours ago, neotechpc said:

Do you have any up to date info on the Mod or how it would apply to a 2019? Surfed through some of those threads, but there are a lot of dead links.

Making an assumption that the 2019 is the same as my 2017, then all that's needed is the exhaust MOD and the first link contains a good few photos of that.

From around 2016/2017 Ford started installing the intake sock, which mine has, that's why I plan on only adding the exhaust vent MOD.

7 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Making an assumption that the 2019 is the same as my 2017, then all that's needed is the exhaust MOD and the first link contains a good few photos of that.

From around 2016/2017 Ford started installing the intake sock, which mine has, that's why I plan on only adding the exhaust vent MOD.

From the parts# compatibility, your assumption seems correct. The same seat back blower part number is specified for 2016-2019.

4 hours ago, vmaxbaby said:

What is a intake sock?  Is this something to keep the intake sound down ? 

It's a long story. In short, it is Ford's solution to make an "intake snorkel" so that the seat back blower, which inside the seat back cavity, will draw air from under the seat to be used for cooling/heating. Before adding the this intake "sock/snorkel" the blower would get the air from inside the seat cavity. This is the website with the fix, it has a better explanation. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, neotechpc said:

If anyone does the mod, either exhaust or both intake and exhaust, please post back! Highly interested in both install process and results. 

Or better still, take it to the long existing thread on the same topic linked below by @omar302 

12 minutes ago, omar302 said:

Several of us did it on the 2015-2018 model including myself. This thread has more details.

Edited by 1004ron

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by the dealer today and Ford had responded to my question with "does this vehicle have the ventilated front seat option?".  OK, I will over look that reply and will move forward as I have the 401 with ventilated/heated front and heated rear seat options.  I have an appointment next week to have a tech have a look at it. 

I only have the heated seats but both driver and passenger heat both the back and bottom.  I tested my mom's 2017 Lincoln MKC which has cooled seats and hers cools both the bottom and back of the seat on both driver and passenger. 

On a side not I find it hilarious that Ford did not know that the Edge had ventilated/cooled front seats as an option. 

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to my service advisor this morning and he reported that per their tech chat line, other customers/service departments are reporting the same issue.  Some tech’s feel it is an issue with the seat back setup.  My advisor is requesting Ford’s assistance with a fix.  I will post if something can be done.

• 1 year later...

Bringing this back to life here.

I noticed the other day my seat backs stopped cooling again. I have the full kit for the intake and exhaust, and had had them cooling almost as good as the seat bottoms. I had made forscan changes to the SCME, which GREATLY improved the cooling of the seat backs to almost the same temperature as the bottoms. With forscan, you can actually choose to read live data from the SCME (seat climate module E) including the fan speed and temperature of the TEDs. My seat bottoms will cool off to around 65*, and before the seat backs would not be far behind at roughly 68*. They worked great. And obviously I never shared that information with you guys, my bad. I should have, because now I need it again myself. 

I had made forscan changes in other areas recently, jacked it up, and had to reload the ABD back to stock. Which completely killed my seatbacks again. Im noticing now with the forscan app, the seat back TEDs don't get any cooler than 85* almost like they aren't even functioning anymore, like maybe Ford finally gave up on the cooled seats and turned off the setback TED in their latest ABD update?? 

Calling Omar302, lets figure this out. I had a few ideas I might look into tomorrow.

First.  Ive been searching like crazy to find the data for the SCME that I changed to raise fan speed and lower the TED temp. It wasn't something I screwed with on my own, I definitely had a spreadsheet in front of me and thought I saved it on my computer but didn't.. I want to say it was in an F-150 or Explorer forum. Ill share when/if I find it.

Second. The seat bottom works very well. If i remember right, it's fan and TED are larger than the seat back fan and TED. Meaning its more powerful. I thought about taking the passenger seat bottom and testing it in the driver seat back to see if it improves after finding the SCME programming info. Or, swapping the connectors from back to bottom, and bottom to back. I myself care more about the cold from the seat back than the bottom. And they both work the same on heat mode, so why not?

Third.  I had thought about pulling the two pins from the seat back TED (GY/VT and WH/VT), and powering it separately from say the 12v outlet, with a PWM knob to control current and temperature, while monitoring temperature with the forscan app. This will most likely throw a DTC for it being disconnected, and also a DTC for out of temperature range if I can get it cooler than normal by supplying more current.. Worth a try under supervision I think. Having messed around with TEDs for other projects, I know they can get much hotter/colder than this. These are being held back quite a bit. On heat mode, forscan shows both TEDS reaching the same temperature (I forget what number, something in the mid 100s) so it can do it. The SCME is not supplying the same current to the back as the bottom in cool mode.

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 12.11.50 AM.png

Edited by tmarsh

1 hour ago, tmarsh said:

And obviously I never shared that information with you guys, my bad. I should have, because now I need it again myself. 

Yes, you should have ?. We had some discussions on this issue in the ForScan forums here, maybe it'll help you recollect.

I wouldn't recommend making any physical changes to avoid damaging the TEDs, they are not cheap or easy to replace. Just some notes:

1. Some F-150 owners reported broken exhaust ports in Tim's solution rendering it useless. Check if the exhaust tube is getting hot air out to make sure this is not your case.
  2. There was a TSB for the seats that had the ABD updated to fix the cooling, so maybe get the ABD from a newer model, maybe a late build 2020 Edge.
  3. Please share next time. I also had monitored the TED temperatures in Forscan and always had that difference between the seat bottom & back. I'll try to get a screen shot to see the actual difference.

Yes! That is what I was looking for! Thank you. I thought we had talked about it, but I thought it was through PM. I’ll read through that again later. 

I do have a spare assembly for the seat back I had ordered awhile ago off ebay for cheap. It does work. And if I remember right even out of the seat, plugged into the SCME, the temperatures were close to the one in the seat with the ductwork. 

Off your notes:

1. This isn’t the case. I can feel the intake tube pulling in, and have lukewarm air coming from the exhaust tube(which also tells me the TED isn’t receiving much power. The air Would be warmer if it was). I don’t have kids, so the backs of my seats don’t get kicked or anything. So they shouldn’t be broken!

2. Before reading through our other thread, I believe that’s what I did with a little extra tweaking to some of the data I found elsewhere? I’ll read through it. 

3. I took a reading this morning. Not really acccurate as it was 65 outside and the interior was also cool, but still the backs are higher. And the entire passenger seat is hotter which is weird because it was running without an occupant. Here are the numbers from this morning. 90* here today so when I leave work I’ll get another. 

1F3C179C-E310-4650-A1BC-4D397D4DAA91.png

Edited by tmarsh

I got a screenshot today on the way back from work. This was after about a 20 minute drive. The passenger seat was off, but was initially turned on for a few minutes when I remote started the engine. The temperatures are in Celsius.

Converted to Fahrenheit:

Driver:

Cushion: 59

Back: 70

Passenger (was off):

Cushion: 91

Back: 100

I am especially surprised of the passenger seat difference while it was off!! And yes, the ambient temperature was about 105-110 F.

Screenshot_20200701-150446~2.jpg

Edited by omar302

13 hours ago, omar302 said:

I am especially surprised of the passenger seat difference while it was off!! 

Checked today in the morning before starting the Edge, both seat bottom & seat backs were at the same ambient temperature (33C). So yesterday's discrepancy was due to the few minutes of remote starting it.

Here is my readings after work yesterday. 92* outside, over 100* in the car for sure after sitting in the direct sun all day. Took screenshot 15min into the drive. I seem to remember last summer my backs were somewhat close to the bottoms. And could actually be felt.

61968F37-1690-42CC-914C-DEAAE4E77E1D.png

Edited by tmarsh