@tmarsh

Any update on the cooled seats?

I have done some research and found that even though the 2019/2020 Edge use the same TEDs (link to bottom & back parts) and same SCME (link to part), the 2019/2020 have extra blocks in the ABD. So there seems to be a software/firmware update for the SCME, I have an old ForScan 2.4.0 version (Jan build) but there is no firmware flash option for the SCME. 

Maybe someone with a 2019/2020 Edge with cooled seats can get temperature readings for the TEDs and see if they are better.

image.png.e512566eb1796312b5c5faff7da44930.png

Note: The yellow boxes and red text are to highlight the 2018 changes compared to mine.

Edited by omar302

No info yet. I plugged in and checked the programming and it had been changed back to the original 2015 ABD. So I changed it back to that of the MkX where I know it worked great. Temps lowered some, but still I feel nothing on the seat back. Noticable difference on the bottom though it gets colder quicker, and fan speed is noticeably higher. My next step is to pull up the upholstery and make sure everything is connected going into the seat. I’ve been on vacation so haven’t done much. 

12 hours ago, omar302 said:

@tmarsh

Any update on the cooled seats?

I have done some research and found that even though the 2019/2020 Edge use the same TEDs (link to bottom & back parts) and same SCME (link to part), the 2019/2020 have extra blocks in the ABD. So there seems to be a software/firmware update for the SCME, I have an old ForScan 2.4.0 version (Jan build) but there is no firmware flash option for the SCME. 

Maybe someone with a 2019/2020 Edge with cooled seats can get temperature readings for the TEDs and see if they are better.

image.png.e512566eb1796312b5c5faff7da44930.png

Note: The yellow boxes and red text are to highlight the 2018 changes compared to mine.

Aren't the 19 and ups heated and ventilated seats only?  Thought they removed the cooling part meaning it just shoot air through the seat rather than cooling the air when in ventilated mode?

46 minutes ago, jmr061 said:

Aren't the 19 and ups heated and ventilated seats only?

Checking the 2020 Edge brochure (online) the heated/cooled seats are available as part of the 301A option package on Titanium, the 401A package on Titanium Elite and 401A (pictured) for ST.   Without the packages the Edge gets heated seats only.
image.png.9b8217e78cdb699dc4ddd6a53cd32535.png

6 hours ago, jmr061 said:

Aren't the 19 and ups heated and ventilated seats only?  Thought they removed the cooling part meaning it just shoot air through the seat rather than cooling the air when in ventilated mode?

They are on my Nautilus. I suspect due to the never ending issues with the cooled version.

seats.JPG

5 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

Checking the 2020 Edge brochure (online) the heated/cooled seats are available as part of the 301A option package on Titanium, the 401A package on Titanium Elite and 401A (pictured) for ST.   Without the packages the Edge gets heated seats only.
image.png.9b8217e78cdb699dc4ddd6a53cd32535.png

Thats probably a typo.  The owner's manual states ventilated seats and I believe the service manual does as well.  Ford abandoned cooled seats cause they didn't work well.

1 hour ago, jmr061 said:

Thats probably a typo.  The owner's manual states ventilated seats and I believe the service manual does as well.  Ford abandoned cooled seats cause they didn't work well.

I know they did change them starting with the 2018 F-150, but the parts listing for a 2020 Edge ST still shows the same TED part numbers as earlier models. 

https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/2020/ford/edge/st-trim/2-7l-v6-gas-engine/body-cat/front-seat-components-scat

They are definitely cooled (from the TED) not just ventilated.  Mine work fine in my 2015 F-150, my 2018 Edge and my 2019 Edge.  The only change I'm aware of over the years is Ford did something to the TED's fan/ducting, because I can hear it in the Edge's but not in the F-150.  F-150 forums have lots of complaints about the cooling not working, or the seatback even getting hot.  I must be lucky, mine works fine.  I had a 2015 Lincoln MKC and it neither heated nor cooled well, but I always attributed that to the thicker seat padding?

Edited by todd92

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I don’t think they changed the design - the same TED that heats the seats also cools them.

I think Ford just changed some of the wording to prevent customer complaints when they don’t cool well.

I've inspected my seats. No TEDs, no socks. And they definitely don't cool well. So same lousy performance but less parts.

5 hours ago, akirby said:

I don’t think they changed the design - the same TED that heats the seats also cools them.

I think Ford just changed some of the wording to prevent customer complaints when they don’t cool well.

On the F-150 they changed the design starting with the 2018 model. F-150Forum has a thread on the cooled seat fix issue & the new mechanism is pictured in this post.

3 hours ago, handfiler said:

I've inspected my seats. No TEDs, no socks. And they definitely don't cool well. So same lousy performance but less parts.

The 2019 Nautilus Parts listing does show the new blowers. So maybe they only changed them on the Nautilus and not on the 2019 Edge, related to the new for 2019 availability of 22 way adjustable seats and hence the redesign of the seats and new blowers, while the Edge still kept the same seats (minor cover changes).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, omar302 said:

On the F-150 they changed the design starting with the 2018 model. F-150Forum has a thread on the cooled seat fix issue & the new mechanism is pictured in this post.

The 2019 Nautilus Parts listing does show the new blowers. So maybe they only changed them on the Nautilus and not on the 2019 Edge, related to the new for 2019 availability of 22 way adjustable seats and hence the redesign of the seats and new blowers, while the Edge still kept the same seats (minor cover changes).

Thanks for confirming. Performance benchmark is low on the new setup but at least it shouldn't diminish.

Okay I stand corrected...the 2020 edge does have cooled seating.  I pulled this from the service manual:

Climate Controlled Seat Operation

The driver and passenger climate controlled seat buttons are selected from the FCIM. The climate controlled seat system functions independently from the vehicle's climate control system.

The seat cushion and backrest are each equipped with a blower motor assembly. As cabin air is drawn through each blower motor, a Thermo-Electric Device (TED) heats or cools the air, which is then directed into the foam pad where it is distributed along the surface of the cushion and backrest of the seat. Once the system is activated, the SCME uses a set of flexible algorithms to control the heating/cooling modes and the blower speed dependant on the commanded climate controlled seat settings.

The SCME monitors seat cushion temperature while it supplies voltage and ground to both blower motors. The SCME also supplies a variable voltage signal to control the blower speed. Cabin air enters the blower through an integrated filter attached to the blower motor housing. Heated or cooled air exits the blower motor and flows through the foam pad.

Climate Controlled Seat Heating Characteristics

• In heat mode, the blower motor can add up to 40–60° C (72–108° F) to the ambient inlet air temperature.
  • The system control settings are indicated next to each climate controlled seat heat switch button. The first setting is HIGH (3 indicators), the second setting is MED (2 indicators) and the third is LOW (1 indicator) then OFF (no indicators).
  • When heating, the SCME varies the speed of the blower motors and the duty cycle of the integral Thermo-Electric Device (TED) in order to reach and maintain the desired temperature determined by the system control settings.

Climate Controlled Seat Cooling Characteristics

• In cool mode, the blower motors can remove up to 8° C (14° F) from the ambient air temperature entering the system.
  • The system control settings are based on the 3 indicators next to each climate controlled seat cool switch button. The first setting is HIGH (3 indicators), the second setting is MED (2 indicators) and the third is LOW (1 indicator) then OFF (no indicators).
  • When cooling, the SCME maintains a constant blower motor speed and a constant Thermo-Electric Device (TED) supply voltage (duty cycle is determined by the switch setting) in COOL mode.

Climate Controlled Seat Recovery Mode

NOTE: The presence of overtemperature faults (Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) B1153:4B, B1154:4B, B1151:4B and B1152:4B) can be induced by incorrectly operating the climate controlled seat system after an initial heat setting has been attained. If a heat setting is repeatedly turned off and on in an attempt to increase the seat temperature or repeatedly toggled between heat and cool modes, an overtemperature condition can result and the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) may be set.

If the temperature of one of the blower motors rises above 110° C (229.8° F) in the heat mode or 65° C (148.9° F) in the cool mode for more than 4 seconds, the SCME records an overtemperature DTC, removes voltage from the Thermo-Electric Devices (TEDs) (part of the blower motor assembly) and goes into recovery mode (blower only) for 30 seconds to cool down the blower motor. The same occurs if a temperature difference of 60° C (108° F) or greater is detected between the backrest and cushion blower motors on either front seat. The SCME continues to monitor the blower motors while in recovery mode. If the temperature of the Thermo-Electric Devices (TEDs) do not drop to 105° C (220.8° F) in the heat mode or 60° C (139.9° F) in the cool mode after 30 seconds, the system continues to cool the blower motors in recovery mode for up to 5 minutes. If the Thermo-Electric Devices (TEDs) cool down after 30 seconds, but before 5 minutes (checked at 4 second intervals), the system is operating normally. An overtemperature DTC is still recorded even if the system recovers and is operating normally. This is more likely to occur during extreme cabin temperatures with significant seat back sun load. If the system does not recover within 30 seconds in heat mode or within 5 minutes in cool mode, the SCME disables that seat (fault mode) and remains off until the ignition is cycled. Also, if the SCME detects a temperature differential fault twice during the same ignition cycle, the SCME disables the seat. When a fault causes a shutdown, the climate controlled seat indicators turn off and that seat is not operational until the next ignition cycle.

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, jmr061 said:

Okay I stand corrected...the 2020 edge does have cooled seating.

I had earlier went through As Built Data for a 2019 MKX and a 2018 F-150, both with ventilated seats, and the ABD blocks structure look similar to the 2019 Edge I poster earlier (with the additional blocks), so I was thinking it might be ventilated only after all, until your post proving they are still cooled. 

Can anyone who upgraded from a 2016-2018 Edge with cooled seats to a 2019-2020 Edge with cooled seats confirm their experience?

• 2 months later...
  • 1004ron changed the title to Cooled Seats

Congrats and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately the ventilated seats are hit or miss. Other times they leave a lot to be desired....namely your satisfaction. If  you're still within the 3year 36k warranty take it to your dealer. Maybe they can shed some light on the situation.  There is a TSB on it. Some users reported success, others not so much.

tsb15-0154.pdf

If you are DIYer you can order the repair kit from this site and follow the directions. AMore thana few suers on the F150 forum have reported success utlizing this repair.

Seat Guru

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1