Disappoinment - PTU drain and fill - capacity

flymore

My first PTU drain and fill on my 2018 Titanium with 38,500 miles and I'm disappointed with the capacity.

I followed the videos suggestion of collecting the used fluid in a measuring cup. All that came out was EXACTLY 40ml the manual says 53ml.

All I could get back in was 400ml. I was hoping capacity on this thing was going up.

No I didn't spill any and it seems odd that EXACTLY 400ml came out.

The only consideration was my Edge was on a ramp, but that's all I have.

Anybody have any thoughts?

put.jpg

Edited by flymore

• 1004ron changed the title to Disappoinment - PTU drain and fill - capacity
1 hour ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

first drain/fill?  did you put the exact same amount back in and did it flow out of the fill hole?  if not, add till it comes out the fill hole.  likely underfilled at factory.

I had a supposed ford engineer say it was impossible to happen.....yet it seems better since i did all my fluids including trans, which took more than drained. ?

40 minutes ago, CARR142 said:

a ramp = 1?

I would think that the vehicle should be level.

Yes car should be level. Poster needs a jack and stands.

1 hour ago, Perblue said:

I had a supposed ford engineer say it was impossible to happen.....yet it seems better since i did all my fluids including trans, which took more than drained. ?

Yes car should be level. Poster needs a jack and stands.

Yes, when I did mine, I drained with the front wheels on the ramps.  Then when it came time to fill, I lifted the back to level with the front ramps.

Edited by txaggie

"You keep saying 40ML(1.35 oz), don't you mean 400ml(13.5 oz)? "

Yes, got 13.5oz or 400ML as in the picture...not 40ml. Manual says 17.9 oz or 530ml thanks.

Took out the fill plug first - left it out and no fluid came out there.

Then took out the drain plug and let it drain for several hours. There was no sign of thick sludge - the old fluid was brown as in the picture but wasn't really too thick. Fluid seemed to drain and flow out fine.

Once it was done draining after several hours I put the drain plug in and used a pump to pump in the fresh fluid up into the fill plug. When it started to run out I placed the fill plug back and checked the quart container - allowing for what was left in the pump and hoses it read 400ML was pumped in.

Used heat resistant sealant on both the drain and fill plugs.

Yea, at least I got most (75%) of the fluid out and already planning my next drain and fill. Probable do something to drive the rear wheels up to raise them and level the vehicle some - maybe get more out?  But I think that's all it holds... 400ML.

• Like 3

Even tho the old fluid flowed freely, there is some possibility that sludge buildup was starting to occur.  Hot it may have all gone into suspension, but when cooled down, you would see layering.  Did you retain the old fluid?  I noticed on mine(2007)  when I let it settle for a couple of days, there were two distinct layers forming (based on transparency).  Hard to believe 130 mL of sludge tho.

Common to find that buildup on the plug for the 1st drain.  It is magnetic and is supposed to grab on to/retain breakin particles.  Next time should be significantly better.

Let the old fluid sit overnight in the measuring cup - didn't see sludge or layering before taking it for recycling.

Only sludge was on the fill plug at the top stuck to the magnet no metal shavings.

Would think sludge would collect at the bottom by the drain plug but didn't see any sludge there or come out when I drained it.

The plastic tube on the fill side would only go in about 1/2 inch. Felt like there was metal there stopping it.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 10:12 AM, flymore said:

My first PTU drain and fill on my 2018 Titanium with 38,500 miles and I'm disappointed with the capacity.

I followed the videos suggestion of collecting the used fluid in a measuring cup. All that came out was EXACTLY 40ml the manual says 53ml.

All I could get back in was 400ml. I was hoping capacity on this thing was going up.

No I didn't spill any and it seems odd that EXACTLY 400ml came out.

The only consideration was my Edge was on a ramp, but that's all I have.

Anybody have any thoughts?

put.jpg

On 10/1/2020 at 10:20 AM, flymore said:

Yea the fluid is in the measuring cup.

New fluid is clear, the drained fluid was burnt brown.

There was a thick layer of sludge on the fill plug.

Yes, the old fluid still flowed freely.

put.jpg

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2019-Ford-Edge-ST-supplement-version-1_su_EN-US_08_2018.pdf  2019 but still close

6 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluid. 12.7 ± 1.7 fl oz (375 ± 50 ml)

Interesting thanks for the info.

Mine is the 3.5L engine - maybe the same PTU? This could explain it.

Owners manual says,

CAPACITIES AND SPECIFICATIONS - 3.5L

Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluid (All Wheel Drive) 17.9 fl oz (0.53 L)

Really hoping PTU capacity was going up due to the extreme temperatures not down.

Thanks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, flymore said:

Interesting thanks for the info.

Mine is the 3.5L engine - maybe the same PTU? This could explain it.

Owners manual says,

CAPACITIES AND SPECIFICATIONS - 3.5L

Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluid (All Wheel Drive) 17.9 fl oz (0.53 L)

2019+ models have a completely different PTU. Yours is a 2018 so should have had 0.53 L.

• Like 1