Jump to content
flymore

Disappoinment - PTU drain and fill - capacity

Recommended Posts

My first PTU drain and fill on my 2018 Titanium with 38,500 miles and I'm disappointed with the capacity.

I followed the videos suggestion of collecting the used fluid in a measuring cup. All that came out was EXACTLY 40ml the manual says 53ml.

 

All I could get back in was 400ml. I was hoping capacity on this thing was going up.

 

No I didn't spill any and it seems odd that EXACTLY 400ml came out.

 

The only consideration was my Edge was on a ramp, but that's all I have.

 

Anybody have any thoughts?

 

 

put.jpg

Edited by flymore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

first drain/fill?  did you put the exact same amount back in and did it flow out of the fill hole?  if not, add till it comes out the fill hole.  likely underfilled at factory.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, flymore said:

The only consideration was my Edge was on a ramp, but that's all I have.

 

Anybody have any thoughts?

a ramp = 1?

I would think that the vehicle should be level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

first drain/fill?  did you put the exact same amount back in and did it flow out of the fill hole?  if not, add till it comes out the fill hole.  likely underfilled at factory.

 

 

I had a supposed ford engineer say it was impossible to happen.....yet it seems better since i did all my fluids including trans, which took more than drained. 😁

 

40 minutes ago, CARR142 said:

a ramp = 1?

I would think that the vehicle should be level.

 

Yes car should be level. Poster needs a jack and stands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Perblue said:

 

I had a supposed ford engineer say it was impossible to happen.....yet it seems better since i did all my fluids including trans, which took more than drained. 😁

 

 

Yes car should be level. Poster needs a jack and stands.

 

Yes, when I did mine, I drained with the front wheels on the ramps.  Then when it came time to fill, I lifted the back to level with the front ramps.

Edited by txaggie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2012 Flex PTU with DIY drain plug (on bottom of ptu) added by me never got the amount of oil drained out that the book called for. Yes it was level.

Edited by dajo2012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what I was wondering.

How much do others see when they drain the PTU?

 

Kinda strange that I got exactly 400ml. Why not 410ml or 420ml? Why not 390?

 

Edited by flymore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ramps work fine for drain/fills.  You may not have gotten all the fluid out, but you have assuredly put the necessary amount back in.  I assume you used the drain plug to drain the fluid and not out the fill hole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe there is some sludge formed and it is too thick to drain out? Maybe another drain & fill will help after a few hundred miles to get them out? Just a thought.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"You keep saying 40ML(1.35 oz), don't you mean 400ml(13.5 oz)? "

 

Yes, got 13.5oz or 400ML as in the picture...not 40ml. Manual says 17.9 oz or 530ml thanks.

 

Took out the fill plug first - left it out and no fluid came out there.

 

Then took out the drain plug and let it drain for several hours. There was no sign of thick sludge - the old fluid was brown as in the picture but wasn't really too thick. Fluid seemed to drain and flow out fine.

 

Once it was done draining after several hours I put the drain plug in and used a pump to pump in the fresh fluid up into the fill plug. When it started to run out I placed the fill plug back and checked the quart container - allowing for what was left in the pump and hoses it read 400ML was pumped in.

 

Used heat resistant sealant on both the drain and fill plugs.

 

Yea, at least I got most (75%) of the fluid out and already planning my next drain and fill. Probable do something to drive the rear wheels up to raise them and level the vehicle some - maybe get more out?  But I think that's all it holds... 400ML.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea the fluid is in the measuring cup.

 

New fluid is clear, the drained fluid was burnt brown.

 

There was a thick layer of sludge on the fill plug.

 

Yes, the old fluid still flowed freely.

 

 

put.jpg

Edited by flymore
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even tho the old fluid flowed freely, there is some possibility that sludge buildup was starting to occur.  Hot it may have all gone into suspension, but when cooled down, you would see layering.  Did you retain the old fluid?  I noticed on mine(2007)  when I let it settle for a couple of days, there were two distinct layers forming (based on transparency).  Hard to believe 130 mL of sludge tho.

 

Common to find that buildup on the plug for the 1st drain.  It is magnetic and is supposed to grab on to/retain breakin particles.  Next time should be significantly better.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let the old fluid sit overnight in the measuring cup - didn't see sludge or layering before taking it for recycling.

Only sludge was on the fill plug at the top stuck to the magnet no metal shavings.

Would think sludge would collect at the bottom by the drain plug but didn't see any sludge there or come out when I drained it.

 

The plastic tube on the fill side would only go in about 1/2 inch. Felt like there was metal there stopping it.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have done about all you can do short of borescoping it, LOL.  Let's see what happens at the next fluid change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Edge seems to accelerate and coast a little better now since the ptu change.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then you really should do another drain/fill to get the rest out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, flymore said:

My Edge seems to accelerate and coast a little better now since the ptu change.

 

If you can truly feel a change, and you're sure its not placebo, there may be damage done and can expect a shorter life from the PTU.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2020 at 10:12 AM, flymore said:

My first PTU drain and fill on my 2018 Titanium with 38,500 miles and I'm disappointed with the capacity.

I followed the videos suggestion of collecting the used fluid in a measuring cup. All that came out was EXACTLY 40ml the manual says 53ml.

 

All I could get back in was 400ml. I was hoping capacity on this thing was going up.

 

No I didn't spill any and it seems odd that EXACTLY 400ml came out.

 

The only consideration was my Edge was on a ramp, but that's all I have.

 

Anybody have any thoughts?

 

 

put.jpg

 

On 10/1/2020 at 10:20 AM, flymore said:

Yea the fluid is in the measuring cup.

 

New fluid is clear, the drained fluid was burnt brown.

 

There was a thick layer of sludge on the fill plug.

 

Yes, the old fluid still flowed freely.

 

 

put.jpg

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2019-Ford-Edge-ST-supplement-version-1_su_EN-US_08_2018.pdf  2019 but still close

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dajo2012 said:

 

Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluid. 12.7 ± 1.7 fl oz (375 ± 50 ml)

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 1004ron said:

 

Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluid. 12.7 ± 1.7 fl oz (375 ± 50 ml)

 

Interesting thanks for the info.

Mine is the 3.5L engine - maybe the same PTU? This could explain it.

 

Owners manual says,

CAPACITIES AND SPECIFICATIONS - 3.5L

Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluid (All Wheel Drive) 17.9 fl oz (0.53 L)

 

Really hoping PTU capacity was going up due to the extreme temperatures not down.

 

Thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, flymore said:

 

Interesting thanks for the info.

Mine is the 3.5L engine - maybe the same PTU? This could explain it.

 

Owners manual says,

CAPACITIES AND SPECIFICATIONS - 3.5L

Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluid (All Wheel Drive) 17.9 fl oz (0.53 L)

 

2019+ models have a completely different PTU. Yours is a 2018 so should have had 0.53 L.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×