ThunderTruck

2016 AWD RDU Oil Change?

Reading through the forum and my service manual it recommends changing the rear differential oil. I had my coolant and PTU oil changed but they said there was no drain plug on the RDU.

How are people changing this out? 

There is no recommendation in North America for RDU fluid change except if there is water intrusion/extended severe service.  There are intervals for PTU fluid in hot climates such as South America and the Middle East tho.

But yeah, use the fill plug for both drain and fill, just like the PTU in earlier gen MYs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

There is no recommendation in North America for RDU fluid change except if there is water intrusion/extended severe service.  There are intervals for PTU fluid in hot climates such as South America and the Middle East tho.

But yeah, use the fill plug for both drain and fill, just like the PTU in earlier gen MYs.

Funny, the dealer told me there was no way to drain the RDU, looks like I need to crawl underneath and see for myself.

You're right in that there is no requirement in the service manual (unless water intrusion) but I have peace of mind replacing the fluids for longevity.

Thank-you for the reply.

Edited by ThunderTruck
  • Like 1

I haven't done an RDU on the 2nd gen Edges, but they're probably fairly close to my '17 Fusion. I just used a fluid extractor to suck out the gear oil, then filled to the leveling hole. Was actually fairly easy.

I've seen tons of people say dealers mention things are "not serviceable" or not possible, but that usually means Ford just doesn't tell them to so they don't bother to look/think about it. Changing your fluids is cheap insurance especially if you DIY!

• Like 1