Sign in to follow this  
1004ron

New Motorcraft oil filter FL-2062-A vs the FL-2062

25 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

My 2017 Sport has the PTU temp sensor.

Mine also does, but I thought it was a Middle East build spec thing. Now we neef to know whether a warning message comes up when needed or not.

1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

My 2017 Sport has the PTU temp sensor.

Say What? I have a 2017 sport as well. Never saw a PTU sensor indication. Then again I try to stay on top of my fluids so it may have never been triggered.

1 minute ago, onyxbfly said:

Say What? I have a 2017 sport as well. Never saw a PTU sensor indication. Then again I try to stay on top of my fluids so it may have never been triggered.

I too have never seen the dashboard indication.

I disconnect the sensor to get clearer access to the fill plug, and one time forgot to reconnect it so when I turned on the ignition I got an error code.

Wonder if there's a way to access the temp reading with an OBDII device?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

I too have never seen the dashboard indication.

I disconnect the sensor to get clearer access to the fill plug, and one time forgot to reconnect it so when I turned on the ignition I got an error code.

I can see how that can happen. That's a great question. If it can be accessed it would be great if it can be enabled to be displayed. 

1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

There is a PID for it and with ForScan I can read the temp. That's how I knew my 2016 Edge Sport had it. I use the Android ForScan lite with an OBDLink MX Bluetooth.

• Like 3

It has a sensor because that's how it knows to shut down the AWD when it overheats.  But it doesn't show you the temp or tell you that the fluid needs to be changed.   If they know how long it needs to stay over temp or at what temp the fluid breaks down then they could easily notify the driver that it needs to be changed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, omar302 said:

There is a PID for it and with ForScan I can read the temp. That's how I knew my 2016 Edge Sport had it. I use the Android ForScan lite with an OBDLink MX Bluetooth.

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware that Forscan was available for other OS - paid the $6 and downloaded it on my Samsung tablet that I bought for the solely for use on my BMW motorcycle.

I now have two uses for my only Android device.

i thought i had seen a ptu fluid temp indicator, at least using torque pro, not sure about forscan.  it was on the SHO platform a few years back.  should be available for the Edge/MKX as well i would think. TCFT maybe?

F2GZ-12A648-A Sensor - Engine Coolant Temperature

$68.29
Sender Assy
•    Fit Note:
6 Cyl 2.7L, Hot Weather Group, Hot
Weather Improvement Pack... Show More

EJ5Z-12A648-A Sensor - Engine Coolant Temperature
$48.07 $30.67
Sender Assy
Fit Note:
4 Cyl 2.0L EcoBoost (240PS), Hot
Weather Group, Hot Weath... Show More

DB5Z-12A648-A Sensor - Engine Coolant Temperature
$94.55 $57.20
Fit Note:
6 Cyl 3.5L Cyclone Petrol TIVCT, 6 Cyl
3.7L DOHC, Hot Weather G... Show More

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 2

I have personally had a warning light come up that said something like AWD is not available and the car loses power. This has happened twice, both times were when I was driving hard for a long period of time. I let the car cool down and then everything is fine. Afterward, I always change both the trans and PTU fluids to be safe. 

• Like 1

First I'd like to apologise for derailing the thread from its original topic. But just a follow-up to the above, my earlier 2011 MKX did NOT have a PTU temp sensor, nor does a 2015 MKS EcoBoost (AWD) I've seen. The AWD off due to overheating on those vehicles would trigger through other means, I don't know if it's a RDU temperature sensor (if there is any) or by some sort of algorithm.

The addition of the PTU temperature sensor, if I recall, was  (or began) for Police Interceptors and it was to trigger a PTU fluid change requirement, not for AWD functionality.

Edit: seems the sensor was first added to 2013 Taurus SHO (PP) and Interceptors as per this site. But it might have been in the 2011 Explorer due to its multi-terrain system & off road intentions. But definitely not on the Edge before 2015.

Edited by omar302