Can anyone help me 15 Edge sport - steering sensor problem

1774349737_Screenshot_20201109-182039_YahooMail.thumb.jpg.0dfa378c937f19d2da044448b21e7dd6.jpgHello

Not sure if this I'm posting under the correct topic but I'm in need of help. A little over a week ago my traction control lights came on in my edge. I contacted the dealer but they couldn't get me in until this past Friday. The lights stayed on constantly for 2 days but I hit okay on the instrument panel to turn the notification off since I wanted to be able to see my gas mileage. A couple hours after that all the traction lights went off. The dealer told me to still bring it because they would be able to diagnose the problem without it being on. The code that came up was C0051 steering wheel position sensor. The extended warranty people said that they need more documentation from Ford not sure what else they would need. The dealer told them that the sensor can't just be replaced that the entire steering rack aka rack and pinion needs replaced when this happens. The issue is that Ford doesn't have anything in writing saying that when the sensor fails the entire rack needs replaced. If I have to pay for this myself its over 2k when the warranty company says that its covered but they need more info. Does anyone know anything about this particular issue or who I could call for more assistance? I contacted Ford corporate offices and I'm not sure if they can help either. The tech at Ford where my car is says that it isn't safe to drive and if the steering sensor goes completely out that would be tragic. Idk any advice would help. I'll attach the diagnosis sheet.

Thank you

Screenshot_20201109-181741_Yahoo Mail.jpg

20201030_175404.jpg

Edited by Porschia21
Added document

I'm not sure if they have a tsb or not but if they did they should be able to produce it to the warranty company. Its going to snow eventually so I would like to have traction control. Hmmm you may be on to something. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if the sensor can just be replaced instead of the rack too. I want my car back asap. The warranty company said the sensor was covered so the dealer should just say okay and replace it and if the rack goes out we will deal with that when it happens. Do you know if the sensor is separate from the rack? I've seen videos of people replacing the sensor in their edges and didn't mention the steering rack at all. Thanks for the input.

As per the diagnostic image you posted, the fault is not currently present, it was a past event. They should do pinpoint tests to the ABS and/or Power Steering modules to try and determine a cause. What was happening when the fault first came? As per the manual (attached), C0051-67 refers you to Pinpoint test J (page 46) and some of  possible causes start with suspension and tire issues.

Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) and Stability Control Diagnosis and Testing.pdf

• Like 2

6 hours ago, omar302 said:

As per the diagnostic image you posted, the fault is not currently present, it was a past event. They should do pinpoint tests to the ABS and/or Power Steering modules to try and determine a cause. What was happening when the fault first came? As per the manual (attached), C0051-67 refers you to Pinpoint test J (page 46) and some of  possible causes start with suspension and tire issues.

Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) and Stability Control Diagnosis and Testing.pdf

There was nothing going on at the time the lights came on. They stayed on for two straight days and when I hit okay to dismiss the warning it went off shortly thereafter. My appointment wasn't for another 4 or 5 days and it never came back on but they told me to bring it anyway. The guy at the dealer told me that there were no further instructions given since the light wasn't currently on all the documentation they have says stop if the light isn't on. 

• 1004ron changed the title to Can anyone help me 15 Edge sport - steering sensor problem