Sign in to follow this  
fishx65

CV axle replacement

Maybe a dumb question but how do you tell which side is bad?  I've had one clicking for a long time on my 2011 SEL and want to replace it.  I've always thought it was the passenger side but I want to be sure before I pickup the new one.

I did both on my 2007.  I guess you can have someone outside the car to listen.  Is it worse when turning left or right?  When I did mine I bought the axles on e-bay.  They were Detroit Axle new Made in the USA.  Less than $150 for the pair.  

If you are doing it yourself I recommend these.  I did them about 6 years ago and over 75,000 miles. They are still fine.  The job with the proper tools takes about an hour per side.  Look at the axles  to compare them.  I had to transfer a (what I'm calling) a water defecting shield from the old ones to the new.  Not a big deal, just something to look out for. 

• Like 2

Thanks Paul, really helpful.:)  I was surprised how cheap they are even at AA and AZ.

Got a chance to investigate the clicking a little closer and it's definitely the strut mounts and not the axle.  The coil spring is binding up especially when it's cold.  Gonna be a little more expensive than I was hoping:(:(

• Like 1