MPG??????

npggirl

Well I got my Edge delivery on Saturday. (AWD SEL plus w/ 18")

Since I have been carefully reading posts on mileage, I checked the MPG reading on the car with only 3 miles on it.

The reading was 3 MPG.

As of today I have only driven approximately 250 miles, and the car is showing 13MPG.

Not being to accurate with the miles, I drove approximately 150 highway miles (70 mph avg.), and 100 miles around town (40 mph avg.)

I'm not sure what to make of the starting reading of 3 MPG when I picked up the vehicle.

On the next tank I will calculate it myself.

I did notice in the owners manual that the reading could be affected by the vehicles levelness when filling the tank.

Probably not much difference though.

Check out the below link that I read today on MSN. They explain how the ratings are calculated by the manufacturers.

The process for calculating the MPG rating is no where similar to the actual driving that real people do.

Heck, they don't even use gas in the tank!

As others have stated, I didn't buy the Edge based on it being a fuel saving vehicle, but I would be happier at around 18-20 MPG since I also have a 200 F150 4x4 4.6 liter that probably averages 16-18 MPG.

Anyhow, heres the link regarding gas mileage: http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4023628

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The starter reading of 3 miles, is probably moving around the holding area at the plant, idling and getting the car onto trucks and railcars as needed. The MPG will be lower the more you idle, if you sit at a stop light, you'll see it slowly trickle down 0.1 MPG at a time.

As for the F150's, i use a variety of those as well as sport-trac's and explorers. Even on the best driving i would say 16-18 on the highway and quite a bit less in the city, nearer 14 probably from a few thousand miles in those vehicles.

Hey i just cleared 1200/1300 miles i have an sel awd plus 18" chrome (i noticed some talk regarding rim size). I live in Brooklyn, Ny and drive moderately throughout the week and usually have half a tank left end of the week ( as opposed to my 04 lincoln lse which filled twice in a week) recently i drove from here to New Hampshire - everyone with the moonroof needs to go there - i got over 320 miles in on a tank cruising around 80ish mph including city driving, light traffic, etc. AND i saw a post earlier from Jimmerz, i think my mileage has been improving with the engine breaking in, but ill let everyone know.

I have a FWD SEL with about 1400 miles on it. I live in a smaller city with some traffic but not excessive traffic. I do not have a lead foot. I have yet to get 15 MPG with in town driving. The temperature around here averages about 50 during the day. Even with the increase in temperature, my MPG is not getting any better. I have not taken it on the highway except for very short distances. I have had my Edge for over 2 months now and am limiting my driving as I am selling it at the very first opportunity. This was not a "green" vehicle purchase, however the MPG is ridiculous!! I would not have purchased this vehicle if I had known how poor the gas mileage is. I have learned my lesson about purchasing a vehicle when it is first released. When calculating the MPG, make sure you do it manually. My computer is showing 16.1 MPG, but actual is less than 15 MPG.

Two things, my trip computer seems to be within 0.2mpg of the calculation after i have filled up (which of course includes a 1/3 gal at most top up to reach the next dollar even, which of course isnt quite the same gas as i used), so not much error there. Also, just for shits and giggles i spent a couple of days driving as near to "like i stole it" as i could given traffic and also a few other bad habits - quick starts, got the engine up to 6250rpm on a few of them - although i got to 60mph quite quickly fairly often on slower roads, going 10+ over the speed limit, quick lane changes and punching it to overtake, coasting and then speeding up when traffic was all going about the same speed and no gaps were available. Basically all the stuff i dont do on a regular basis. I cut it back a little around my neighbourhood, first because people live there and second its cobblestoned and i dont want to shake any car to death rumbling over that at 30+, just took quick starts from each stop sign. The funniest part was that i didnt get home or to work any quicker than usual at practically the same traffic volume. The computer pumps out that i was doing 14.5mpg, so its got to have been in the 14-15 range taking into account some measurement error. The same trips on my usual run give me 19-20+/- mpg.

So yes i can practically match the kinds of numbers coming out here, but i have to drive in a way that would get me either a fistful of tickets or a wreck within a reasonable timeframe and made me feel like a jackass to my fellow road users! I have about 1300 miles so far, still not fully broken in, but i cannot justify racing around all day like i am in a sports car as there was no saving of time, only wasting gas and feeling somewhat hot under the collar aboutt the slow folks on the road whilst i was trying this little experiment. Cruising around saves me a bunch of money and is less likely to get me in any bother with the law or the wrecker/insurance. That doesnt mean i dont use the great acceleration on the Edge when needed to pass someone, just dont try to pass everyone in one go!

BTW - if the computer is calculating mpg wrongly, surely that means either the volume calculation is wrong or the speed/distance is not being correctly measured. Seeing as the distance is used for the manual calc as well, then the volume is the only variable. I have noted that the tank is not completely filled when gassing up, but i havent pushed the gas in the tank to less than 10 miles from empty yet either - does it go negative? Yet to put more than 18.5 gal in the 20.8 gal tank on a fill up given when the pump cuts out. On my last car i could squeeze at least 1-1.5 more gals in there after the cutoff by topping up, but even that wouldnt cut it.

... but i havent pushed the gas in the tank to less than 10 miles from empty yet either - does it go negative? Yet to put more than 18.5 gal in the 20.8 gal tank on a fill up given when the pump cuts out. On my last car i could squeeze at least 1-1.5 more gals in there after the cutoff by topping up, but even that wouldnt cut it.

I go to zero miles to empty almost every tank, just cuz I hate going to the gas station and standing in the cold........Counter-intuitive I know :finger::shift:

It does not go negative. I drove about 5 miles once when it said 0 miles to empty and even then the most I have filled up with was 19.7 gallons.

Just for the record, I don't drive like I stole the car. I drive the speed limit, do not start and stop quickly. I do not drive like an idiot. I cannot think of any driving habits I could change to improve my MPG. Believe me, if there were something I could do to get better MPG, I would. I am glad some are getting better MPG. However, there are people out there driving like responsible adults only getting 14 MPG. It is simply a reality that several of these vehicles are getting crappy gas mileage. Do not try to blame the low MPG on driving habits. Yes, sometimes that is the case. Not in mine! I still have not broken the 15 MPG mark yet. I have owned my Edge for 2 1/2 months and have around 1600 miles on it and it is a FWD.

I was just trying an experiment as our other poster Jimmerz did to see what difference it made for him.

Not making any accussations about driving habits, just stating what i did to see what mileage i could get.

Again, driving habits are one reason it could be, hills, amount of stopping and starting/idling time is usually a huge factor too, also the winter fuel mix is not as rich meaning lower mpg too, not to mention running the peripheral items such as heating or AC! All i am saying is given temperate, flatish moderate city driving you can hit that. There has to be some reason others arent getting it, be it user or environmental issues. Sorry that people arent getting the mileage they thought they would or wanted.

I've had my Edge SEL+ FWD for 10 days now. It is equipped with 18"wheels and trailer towing package.

After I picked the vehicle up from the dealer I drove 30 mi. and then topped the tank off to accurately

measure the fuel economy. After ten days of driving and 200mi. this is my result.

All of the driving was in town with several short interstate trips of 10 miles or less.

The trip computer at the time of fill up was registering 19.0mpg. Total fuel used was 11.5 gals. total cost of $26.50, 201 miles traveled for a 17.5mpg average actual calculated. My previous vehicle was an 05 F150 5.4l 2wd. Driving it in a similar fashion my average mpg was 13.5.

I also checked the accuracy of the speedometer with my Garmin 2610 GPS. I found the speedo to be spot on up to 65mph. At 70 and 80mph the speedo was 1mph fast.

Overall, I am very pleased. I'm also recording my findings with www. fueleconomy.gov

I just hit 2,000 miles on my FWD MKX. It is averaging about 19 in the city. If I travel at 55-65 on the highway, I have seen as much as 30, but usually average 27. Really not bad on gas at all. Don't forget that the car magazines get thier average milage which includes track testing. Since you are not running 0-60 and 1/4 times, you should do much better.

Well, thank you to all that are sharing! It is really cool seeing all the differences people are getting...

Guess I will have to learn to drive like Grandma to get better gas mileage...

The city I live in is some stop and go, but not very hilly. Gets cold in the winter, warm summers...

Hopefully I will be pleased with the MPG...BUT...it really does look like more negative than positive...

Still, I want the Edge!!! I really have not seen anything I like better!

I have droven 500km with mine and the Info says 18L/100km. The sticker: 13-9L/100km. So it's a lot more but I'm hopping it will get better :shift:

Got 1000 km and the Info says 15L/100km. (Highway & City)

It's still more than the sticker but it's getting much better.

I also did make sure to fill up the tank completely this time. (2nd or 3rd bump)

It looks like your MPG will be very dependent on how you drive it.

I took a new MKX for a 100 mile extended test drive.

The 1st 50 miles I drove it like my grandmother would, very easy on the brakes, coasted up to stop lights, acted like there was an egg between my foot and the gas pedal. According to the MPG display (which I reset prior to the test drive) I got 22.1 MPG.

I reset the MPG & then I drove the 2nd 50 miles accelerating hard, on the brakes harder. The calculated MPG was 14.2.

While I realize 50 + 50 miles is a very small test sample it was eye opening to see how dramatically both the gas brake pedals affected the MPG. Which is to be expected with a 4,500 lb vehicle.

Hey guys and girls, I got an SEL FWD Edge w/ 18 inch chromies and gettign 26-28 MPG on highway with speeds of 60-65. This past weekend we took a trip to Tennessee and with 4 people, and a fully loaded hatch at 80 MPH got 22 MPG. City I see 19-21. GREAT gas mileage for what she is without a doubt. I fell sorry for the 17 MPG highway Explorer's or better yet expos hehe.

Kevin

I've been getting about 18 MPG in town with some mixed highway use.

While on a 2.5 hr. highway trip at 70 - 80 MPH I got approx. 22 mpg.

I reset the computer just as I got on the entrance ramp at 70 MPH and for a few seconds it read like 48 MPG and then started ticking down real fast.

Oh-well, it was nice to see for a moment. ;)

Today's fill up, about 285 miles 15.75 gal = 18.1mpg 80% city, 20% highway over the past two weeks. I saw some cheap gas at a Shell station otherwise i would have driven it a bit further on that tank. The computer suggests i will get about 380 per tank - generally i get pretty close to the tank estimate.

Today's fill up, about 285 miles 15.75 gal = 18.1mpg 80% city, 20% highway over the past two weeks. I saw some cheap gas at a Shell station otherwise i would have driven it a bit further on that tank. The computer suggests i will get about 380 per tank - generally i get pretty close to the tank estimate.

I can't people belive in the computer giving the right fuel milage

I can't people belive in the computer giving the right fuel milage

Didnt follow what you were trying to say. My calculation is based on miles and gallons - check the numbers yourself if you like. My computer said i was getting a touch better mileage than that, but it was still pretty close to 18.1 mpg, like 18.5 or so IIRC.

If your statement was based on my statement about the mileage remaining the tank, its not right to the exact mile, but its within 10 over the course of the tank. If i had run through the additional 5 gallons in the tank (20.8 vs 15.75) i would have been pretty close to 380 miles (285+5*18.1=375). The estimate is based on the mileage over the last 500 miles of driving, so if you have been driving in the city all the time its not going to be as accurate when you take a road trip - at least for the first 3-400 miles (most of a tank), and vice-versa. However given that my driving is practically the same week in/week out most of the time, i feel it has the right numbers given how far i end up driving during the course of a tank around the city. Its a tool you use to estimate, same with the mpg, its going to be somewhere close, but not 100% as the tool cant predict if your pattern alters from the past performance - again literally YMMV.