MPG??????

npggirl

Well.. I have my Edge for week now - and the computer calculated mileage starts out high and drops every day that I been driving. I drive a mix of city and highway.... still to early to tell.

From what I read on the forums - its mixed.. but most have said it gets better over time and is much better on highway.

Ya know.. Its a great vehicle... fun to drive... smooth and quick. If you can get past the mileage issue... you will have no regrets.

Again, I should point out that if gas mileage and prices are such a concern you should probably look at another vehicle... perhaps a hybrid escape for example.

the vehicle can get what is advertised and will differ based on your personal style of driving. I got 330 miles to my last 19.3 gallons in the tank and I drive almost always on the street and for many short trips since I only have a 3 mile commute to work. My 17 mpg for moving 4400 lbs makes me happy. I am a 24 year old male and my friends say I drive slow, I should also add that I accelerate using cruise control, even off the freeway.

I still only have less than 1300 miles on it. Should I also add its AWD...

Lastly, look at the other vehicles that compete with the Edge and MKX and check out what kind of mileage they get, quite a few get worse or equal fuel economy ratings and very very very few get any better even when taking into account the weight. We have the heaviest CUVs of the bunch, our engines create great power on 87 octane and yet we still can get above average fuel economy.

We get good gas mileage!

-Dan

Edited by sntmods

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.. I have my Edge for week now - and the computer calculated mileage starts out high and drops every day that I been driving. I drive a mix of city and highway.... still to early to tell.

From what I read on the forums - its mixed.. but most have said it gets better over time and is much better on highway.

Ya know.. Its a great vehicle... fun to drive... smooth and quick. If you can get past the mileage issue... you will have no regrets.

Typically the mileage rockets up to mid-20's the first patch you can do 45-55mph, but then you might hit a light and it drops down a bit while you idle, then it drops a little more when you accelerate away to reach cruising speed - at which point while you are coasting it might rise a bit again, but back again through the cycle the next time you hit a light. If you plot out the data you'll notice it tends towards an equalibrium value for that type of driving, just due to the low miles on the clock when you start that it seems to be high. If you were to leave the gas station in city traffic and then get on the highway it would increase quite a bit again. Over time the influence of one more acceleration and such is not going to make a huge difference over the miles driven and gallons used to calculate the mileage, so the number changes a lot early on, but with more data it changes less as you drive further. I reset my trip odometer and mileage calculator every fill up just to see what the computer says i am getting on each tank and compare that to the hand calculated mileage from the gas fill-up for the miles i have driven.

I should also add that I accelerate using cruise control, even off the freeway.

I still only have less than 1300 miles on it. Should I also add its AWD...

Lastly, look at the other vehicles that compete with the Edge and MKX and check out what kind of mileage they get, quite a few get worse or equal fuel economy ratings and very very very few get any better even when taking into account the weight. We have the heaviest CUVs of the bunch, our engines create great power on 87 octane and yet we still can get above average fuel economy.

I have found the cruise when you resume a set speed (say you have just past a toll booth and are getting back to speed) it accelerates a lot faster than i would typically do, so i usually dont press the resume until within 5mph of the original set value. Mileage is likely still improving at 1300 miles. I am at 3500 and still improving slowly but surely. Now i get 18.5 mpg for the typically around town commute and shopping etc that is almost identical week in/week out to what i started out with 17mpg 2 months ago.

Lastly, the mileage that is quoted for those other vehicles is similar to what we have quoted for the Edge and others are also complaining that they arent reaching those EPA numbers on those cars as well - so dont take the sticker numbers as gospel, all other models have similar problems with mileage that many find with the Edge (although a few of us can beat the EPA numbers).

I do think that sntmods makes a good point. The fuel recommended is 87 octane. My buddy has a Murano and they say you should use a 91 octane or better. He still uses 87 because he is cheap, I am not sure what if any effect that will have on his engine, but if he were to use the recommended 91+ he would be paying alot more for his gas than I am for mine. He is getting roughly 19-21 mpg on his Murano.

Well on my hour trip to her moms house at 60-64 mph stayed steady at 26.8-27.2 mpg. Thing is, you need to reset your averag mpg when you plan on driving for at least 2 hours. that will give you the accurate fuel reading. Can't beat it though, anyway you look at it.

Kevin

PS: almost at 10K miles

I do think that sntmods makes a good point. The fuel recommended is 87 octane. My buddy has a Murano and they say you should use a 91 octane or better. He still uses 87 because he is cheap, I am not sure what if any effect that will have on his engine, but if he were to use the recommended 91+ he would be paying alot more for his gas than I am for mine. He is getting roughly 19-21 mpg on his Murano.

Jimmerz-

Have you and your buddy considered swapping vehicles for a week? It might be an interesting experiment in MPG and make/model differences.

First off, I would like to start with a couple of questions for you Canadians. What's a kilometer? What's a liter?

Having said that, I would like to comment on my SEL Plus FWD MPG numbers so far. I only have 700 miles on it so far and they are all city. When I left the dealer's lot said "10MPG." The vehicle actually had 95 miles on it. They were using it on their ENORMOUS lot to drive customers around, so it was probably idling alot. By the time I was nearing empty later in the week, I had it to 14.1 MPG. I decided to try to see how long I could go on the "LOW FUEL" indicator. I finally filled up when it said 20 MILES TO EMPTY. The next tank I got 17.2 MPG 100% city. I am looking forward to next week taking it on it's first road trip out of state. 450+ miles one way, all interstate. I will post my HWY numbers when I get back.

I would also like to respond the the Edge/MKX drivers who are getting worse than EPA estimates. Do you idle alot? Are you warming up your ride for 15 minutes? Are you driving to work or wherever and sitting there with the engine running. The computer doesn't like it when you are stopped and the engine is running. You get 0.0 MPG for every second you are stopped and the engine is running. So even if you would have been getting 20 MPG, adding a bunch of 0.0 MPG idle time to the 20 MPG could easily make it 10 MPG.

I am completely satisfied wtih my numbers so far. It is exceding my expectations (which were based on a small number of complainers).

I just hope some people weren't swayed into not buying it based on the few people who aren't satisfied with their MPG stats.

Edited by ChuckChuckington

HAHA.. FYI - no igloos in Toronto... Ontario is a province, Ottawa is the national capital..

Even though the signs are metric and our speedometers - we still know and refer to imperial measures..

Anything else? Just let me know...

LOL

Edited by Edgy Girl

After the first tank of gas on my Edge FWD SEL Plus, (ten miles on the odometer at delivery) with 50/50 city/Highway, I averaged 22.3 MPG. I expect this will be the worst I will see.

This included a few lead footed, test out the power accelerations. (and one very surprised Pontiac V-6 Fiero Owner)I suspect the MPG will improve over the next 3000 miles, just as my wife's 2006 V-6 SEL Fusion did.

As for the Edge itself, We love it. It is quiet, comfortable and without a rattle anywhere. The same can be said for our Fusion which now has 14,000 miles on it.

Great job Ford, you are building a really nice lineup of cars. Keep up the good work.

For all those that are saying that they are getting really bad gas mileage, I find it really hard to believe. If you want to go fast and drive hard, get a Roush Stage 3 Mustang, then drive the Edge the way it was designed to be driven and it will do just fine in the MPG department.

If someone is out there sitting on the fence about buying an Edge because of gas concerns, don't be. The new 3.5L runs like a swiss watch.

After the first tank of gas on my Edge FWD SEL Plus, (ten miles on the odometer at delivery) with 50/50 city/Highway, I averaged 22.3 MPG. I expect this will be the worst I will see.

This included a few lead footed, test out the power accelerations. (and one very surprised Pontiac V-6 Fiero Owner)I suspect the MPG will improve over the next 3000 miles, just as my wife's 2006 V-6 SEL Fusion did.

As for the Edge itself, We love it. It is quiet, comfortable and without a rattle anywhere. The same can be said for our Fusion which now has 14,000 miles on it.

Great job Ford, you are building a really nice lineup of cars. Keep up the good work.

For all those that are saying that they are getting really bad gas mileage, I find it really hard to believe. If you want to go fast and drive hard, get a Roush Stage 3 Mustang, then drive the Edge the way it was designed to be driven and it will do just fine in the MPG department.

If someone is out there sitting on the fence about buying an Edge because of gas concerns, don't be. The new 3.5L runs like a swiss watch.

Amen, brother!

It is what it is. It isn't a hybrid or a sub-compact/compact 50 HP rice burner. It is a big, roomy, CUV with A LOT of get up and go. I think some people thought they were buying a Toyota Prius that just looked like a Ford Edge.

I think some of you are being a little harsh, with those that are not getting as good of mileage, as posted on the sticker.

One thing no one has mentioned, in the U.S. the EPA mandates different grades of fuel based on measured air quality.

So in areas of lower air quality, you get fuel that pollutes less per gallon, but require more gallons to travel the same distance.

(How that is better I have no clue, as I'm not the EPA.)

And for those that live or fuel up in or near industrialized areas, maybe by finding out the EPA air ratings for the surrounding areas, you may be able to find better fuel within or near your normal sphere of driving.

Just a thought.

And to those posting the MPG that the computer says, maybe you could also post actual, hand calculated figures as well.

Happy motoring to all.

I feel like I am beating a dead horse here, :beatdeadhorse: but it also makes me feel like I have some sort of LEMON as well.

Let me try and say this in a way that is easy enough for EVERYONE to comprehend. My mpg has gone up slightly since my 1st 2-3 tanks of gas (which were 12-13mpg) I am getting about 15mpg normal daily commute. Not city, not Highway. stop and go driving. I have been BABYING this car since my first few tanks of gas (remember, the 12-13 mpg??) Well, I guess that has really helped....

The only time I might actually GET ON the gas, is if I am pulling out and realize someone is going faster or comes out of no where. Other than that(which is RARE) I have been listening to slow calming music and driving very VERY OLD LADY LIKE!

I DO NOT IDLE A LOT. I do not warm my car up. I have been trying to do everything that was recommended for better fuel economy.

UNFORTUNATELY, my mpg are no where near what others are claiming. I sit here and read all these claims and I seriously feel like puking!!! I do not have an on board computer reading my mpg, I do it manually EVERY TANK. I record all my numbers at www.fueleconomy.gov and I am almost at 5,000 miles. I had a few tanks that were 16mpg and I started to get slightly excited that maybe, just maybe my luck was changing? Then my last tank went back to 15mpg and I actually had about 40% highway on that tank!

I am completely disgusted with my numbers. gas is $3/gallon and rising. I did not THINK I bought a PRIUS! But I did see the 18 city and 25 highway and thought I would be closer than I am. If I could give the Edge back I would have already done it. I know I am stuck so I will suck it up and try not to respond to these mileage threads anymore! As much as I love the vehicle itself I am obsessed with watching my fuel gauge every time I get in it.

Maybe it will get STOLEN!!! :yahoo:

Enjoy your OUSTANDING mpg, but remember there are people who are getting CRAP mpg as well. :violin:

This is what I have found, if you are on a flat freeway and are cruising at 65-70 you are in the 6th gear and you are running very low rpms and you get very good gas mileage, I have gotten close to the 25 this way the car just floats at that speed, even at 80 mph the mileage was pretty good in the th gear- maybe about 22 , but if you are stopping and starting and going up hills the mileage goes down quite a bit, more like 15mpg.

I really appreciate the feedback on this forum and certainly understand the comments by those not getting the gas milage they expected. I have not yet purchased the Edge but am very close to getting one. I understand that driving conditions and driving habits all have to be factored in but the bottom line is that the sticker on the Edge does say between 17 to 24 mpg. So worse case I would expect 17 mpg to be the minimum. As I mentined in an earlier post the salesperson told me that it takes about 5000 miles before the gas milage starts to improve.

By some of the posts it seems that this is not always the case.

I really appreciate the feedback on this forum and certainly understand the comments by those not getting the gas milage they expected. I have not yet purchased the Edge but am very close to getting one. I understand that driving conditions and driving habits all have to be factored in but the bottom line is that the sticker on the Edge does say between 17 to 24 mpg. So worse case I would expect 17 mpg to be the minimum. As I mentined in an earlier post the salesperson told me that it takes about 5000 miles before the gas milage starts to improve.

By some of the posts it seems that this is not always the case.

You really should read the entire sticker statement, before making an expectation about your bottom line. You will find that it is alot more than the "big" numbers.

You really should read the entire sticker statement, before making an expectation about your bottom line. You will find that it is alot more than the "big" numbers.

I've had very good gas mileage. Mine's a SEL and I got it on May 16th. I had to make a trip to South Carolina and now have 1196 miles on it. The first tank, I got 19.8 mostly on rural roads. Not bad. The next tank was the trip, which was mostly interstates in hilly country and got 24.9. I thought that was fantastic. ON the trip back, we had to sit in traffic on I-77 for nearly an hour which hurt mileage, but still got 21.9.

I'm well satisfied and think it is one fantastic vehicle!

I understand that driving conditions and driving habits all have to be factored in but the bottom line is that the sticker on the Edge does say between 17 to 24 mpg. So worse case I would expect 17 mpg to be the minimum. As I mentined in an earlier post the salesperson told me that it takes about 5000 miles before the gas milage starts to improve.

Unfortunately you and many others look at those big numbers and think that is the range you will get.

The EPA estimates are estimated averages of what you should get in the city or on the highway. Just below those big numbers (say 17 & 24) is a disclaimer suggesting that actual mileage will vary and could be between 12 and 19 mpg in the city and 20 to 29 on the highway - all of which numbers i have seen on the computer when driving, but the overall tank mileage is an average of all of those if you are 100% city or highway. If you mix it up and drive conservatively you are likely to get somewhere between 17 and 24 mpg - i get around 19mpg with mostly city and in the low-mid 20's on a near 100% highway - but its not guaranteed you'll get that, hence the disclaimers.

You need to understand the test procedures. These aren't minimums - they're averages. And the 2007 tests are not realistic for most drivers. e.g. they don't use the A/C, the speed is much lower than normal, etc. For 2008 the EPA is changing the tests to be more realistic. Instead of 17-24 on the AWD it will not be 16-22. If you drive worse than the EPA tests you'll get less than that. You could also get more.

Figure out what you get now relative to the EPA rating on your current vehicle and that will give you an idea of whether you'll be at, below or above the EPA ratings (2007) in the new vehicle.

Lots of good info including a comparison of 2007 and 2008 EPA ratings: http://www.fueleconomy.gov

I had a GM product that did that once. The GM help line asked me dumb questions like, "Do you have a large luggage container on top?" I was so hacked that I set it up for arbitration then 2 days before the meeting GM decided they were not going to arbitrate fuel economy and told me I could file suit if I wanted to hire a lawyer on my own. I was not just a little short of the sticker, I was getting half of what others were getting.

I own a shop so I started doing some testing myself. If the computer has been told the data should be between 2 points and it is there, no problem shows up. I got to thinking that a typo in the software may be causing it to think things were ok but were not. The guys at the dealership thought it was possible. They were prepared to use a vin from an identical vehicle that was getting correct mileage and download the software to mine.GM heard about it and told the service manager he would be looking for a job if he did it. They considered it modifying the vehicle.

I bought a Superchips power programmer and installed their software in the vehicle. I was right. The mileage went to where it was supposed to be with more power to boot.

I had to spend $500.00 to fix a vehicle that was under warranty and the manufacturer refused to do anything about it!

• 2 weeks later...

ok well here are "MY" results. Someone stated that if you keep the rpm's at or under 2000 this will produce the best mpg for this vehicle.

Where I live there are numerous hills...I found it close to IMPOSSIBLE to stay at or under 2000 rpm's ALL the time. So, to be fair I am guessing I was able to do this for about 85-90% of this tank of gas. I drove EXTREMELY conservative. I let off the gas completely when able to and I had all slow accelerations. I was very proud to actually be able to drive this way for a whole tank of gas. if you try this yourself you will see that 2000 rpm's or less is pretty difficult unless you live in the desert.

Anyway, I am not as thrilled as I would have hoped to have been. I got 298.8 miles on that tank. Filled up getting 17.21 gallons, giving me a grand total of 17.4 mpg. Which for basically 70% local driving and 30% highway, I guess isn't bad? But my normal driving for my last 5 tanks of gas produced (15, 16.4, 16.7, 15.6, 16.3) So for not much of an improvement, and driving like I am 90 years old...NOT SURE IF IT IS REALLY WORTH IT! :shrug:

I can keep my Edge under 2000 rpms - I reset my computer on my last tank, and kept my accelerations in check. Average speed is about 40kms - I drive a mix of city/highway about 50/50. I am at about 360 miles per tank -

I find the city driving hardest to control - the stops and starts do drive up the fuel ticker -

I left my avg fuel consumption on the computer while I drove - you can see how it floats up and down and how it fits into your driving habits - its neat to watch.

Of course my edge just crossed the 1000 mile mark -and mileage is improving - I can't complain